Which Garrett

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
tonyp

Which Garrett

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am

Hi to you all this is m first post so please forgive me if this has been asked before.I have a choice beteen to Garretts and on a very small budget i need to know which would be the best to buy as a beginer i havent any experience at all so any pointers would be greatful .
The first is an ace 100 and the second is a Master hunter ADS II.
I know both are old machines and ive read a few reviews on some cheap machines and nearly everyone says buy a named brand not a chinese one.So anything anyone can point me in the right direction would be good thanx.

Mega B

Re: Which Garrett

Post by Mega B » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am

If it was me i would buy neither of them but if you are on a very tight budget this C-Scope from Staffs Detectors http://staffsmetaldetectorsonlineshop.c ... -391-p.asp could well be your best option and also you do get a 3 month warrenty from him as well.

Please note i dont have any connection with this seller apart from being a happy customer and his high quality service,its a no frills detector but it will find you stuff.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Trying to stay on topic, you would be far better trying to purchase a second hand ACE150 or ACE 250 if you are sure a Garrett machine is what you are after, we have countless topics on the ace150 and ace 250 here which are very highly rated, the ace250 having the pinpoint feature.
Regarding both the machines you mention I cannot recall ever seeing a single post on them or very few to give you some idea.
Best of luck in what you decide ::g
Cheers
mrix

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanx mrix for your reply i havent any preferance to which machine i want, just need one
within my budget and one that will find things ,nothing better than getting results no matter how small to keep up the interest.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanx for that mega b looks like a good machine and in budget ,got me thinking now ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanx mrix for your reply i havent any preferance to which machine i want, just need one
within my budget and one that will find things ,nothing better than getting results no matter how small to keep up the interest.
Fair point Tony, ::g What sort of budget are we looking at ? the likely answer will still be a ACE150, or ACE250 second hand, or the cscope Mega B mentioned ::g

cheers
mrix

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Its going to be about £100 or so, bit more with a nice smile and a wink in the wifes direction.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 pm

its going to be about £100 or so
Hi again Tony, that`s not such a bad budget and should be in range of a few reasonable second hand machines ::g
bit more with a nice smile and a wink in the wifes direction.
If she is anything like my wife you might be lucky to get an extra £5 added to the funds if your very lucky =))

Cheers
mrix

cantfindnothing

Post by cantfindnothing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm

For £100 you could get a brand new viking'..also ive seen Garrett ace150's in the free ad papers for less that £100'..one on gumtree now for £95' leeds area..

SMELLYJELLY

Post by SMELLYJELLY » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

hey there mate, defo would recomend the ace 250 as a starter machine but just hope you can get one for your budget. I am using the 250 with the larger 12x9 coil but did find many great finds with the standard coil. My buddy is using the 150 and is forever asking me to pinpoint his target as his doesnt have the target pinpointer on his MD, unless you give your wife another wink in a month or two for a pinpointer probe !!!.. regards smellyJelly !!!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanx guys for all your responses ive made some enquires to a few scopes that have been mentioned and waiting replys thanks for the leads. Had a look at those new vikings dont look bad for the money not quite sure what the difference is between non motion and motion detectors bit of a rookie statement i know but i will have a browse on here and maybe learn a bit.
Once again big thanx to all ::g

cantfindnothing

Post by cantfindnothing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Im a rookie too but just had a google of motion and none motion'..a none motion machine will have a faint hum that gets louder over targets' but still keeps its tone when the detector isnt moving'.. a motion machine needs to be moving over the target for it to get a tone' but no tone while holding still over the target'

uklad

Post by uklad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Second hand ace 250 would be your best bet mate you can buy one new for 185 with little extra to your cash im sure u will find one online for sale withing ur price range its possible that u would pick a ace 150 up for under 100 witch is also a gr8 starter machines easy to learn and will get the finds but if I was you I would add the little bix extra for the 250 witch as built in pin pointing andcouple extra modes on
Garrett at pro international
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

tonyp

Post by tonyp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Ok got the non motion , motion concept, still dont mind what i get ,I got to learn and get to grip with the basics so i dont want something that to difficult to use dont know if i will like it
so dont want to spend to much money

erm1969

Post by erm1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi. I would consider a used Whites Coinmaster Pro - they come up on ebay for just over £100. I tried a Garrett Euroace for a year, but found the "bell tone" drove me nuts. The Coinmaster Pro has a much kinder-to-the-ears tone-id, and you can switch to single-tone mode (which I still prefer after 30 years of detecting). I think Whites detectors are the equal of Garretts, but their marketing seems to have fallen behind a bit.
Cheers ewan

Return to “Other Garrett Models Forum”