worth upgrading?

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
dougie12

worth upgrading?

Post by dougie12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 pm

At present I have Ace 150....no complaints about it really ,other than the wet /damp/ sand issue,where it seems to sound off every 2 minutes. Ive not done too bad over 6/7 months on beaches around £40 in coins....2 zippo lighters....1 silver rotary watch and other bits and pieces. I ve been looking at the Garret Gtp 1350 and wonder if in practice Ill notice the difference....salt elimination for instance for wet sand....not sure if the salt content issue is the be all and end all of the problem.and Ive heard the "image size facility" isnt really accurate either.Pinpoint mode isnt a big thing for me ....pro pointer is sufficient for me I think.neither is half a dozen extra modes.....for me anyway.Its mainly the wet sand mode that I want to address, without breaking the bank .The 499 pounds the 1350 is going for is about my limit......not interested in "bangles and bells" or the elitist machine owner nonsense.....just want to have a try on wet sand with some chance of success!.......advice please.

Garret 150( probabley the best of the 3)
Garret 350
Whites M6
Garret pro pointer(3 in 8 months,next 1 will be a cheaper model))

Rhoco71

Re: worth upgrading?

Post by Rhoco71 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Hello dougie12

I don't know anything about the machine you mention but noting some of the points you raise wonder whether the Detech EDS Winner may have been an option.

They are a simple to operate machine with very good performance and are very good on even highly mineralised ground so would imagine they will cope with beach use well.

I have had ours a few weeks now and @ £429 can highly recommend them.

Also ,welcome to the forum ::g ::g

Steve
Evolution Solutions Detecting Products...
oderint dum metuant

dougie12

Post by dougie12 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Rhoco.....Ill have a look at this detector you mention,though I admit Ive not heard of the Detech range before. Many tks
Garret 350
Whites M6

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Dougie,

You will find a lot of machines built for land use are terrible on the wet sand. Very few machines are up to wet sand use, Pulse Induction machines are built for that environment and are completely at home there. The only drawback is the lack of discrimination so you will end up digging lots of junk as well as the good stuff. A very good machine to start with using PI machines is the Cscope CS4PI. You can keep the Ace150 for dry/land use and not break the bank getting a CS4PI for the wet.

If you want discrimination then the only way to go is a multi frequency machine such as the Minelab Sovereign Range of detectors it does not have to be the latest machine a good reliable older machine will out detect most other machines, baring a PI, on the wet.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi mate, I use the Garrett AT Pro, Now to the question do you only detect only on beaches or farm land as well ? The reason is if you detect on both I would recommend the AT Pro, Would you see a difference between the ace 150 and the Pro ? YES a massive one although it is around £595 it not as expensive as some others in this range, but it is waterproof to 10m will it work on the wet sand and into the sea, I shot a video the other week link " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
( also check out my beach finds video with the Pro) If I spent all my time on the beach I would get a Pi machine as the last person said. and that c scope from what I have see is good for the price. so whatever you decide good luck and let us all know..Rob
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

dougie12

Post by dougie12 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:29 pm

thanks for the replies roaminrob and machinist......Im guessing I would be detecting 95% beach 5% land....I had my fill of farm detecting after around 12 sessions earlier this year.Wasnt so much finding almost nothing that turned me off,it was the ankle deep in mud and coming home smelling like a sewage farm stuff. plus I live only few miles from beach. :D .........The reason i asked about garett gtp 1350 was the salt elimination mode it has. Does that solve the damp/wet sand issue on its own.? Im guessing it doesnt.
Maybe Ill take a look around for a secondhand older pulse detector as suggested here.....trouble is I might get a dodgy one..hmm might give regtons a ring ,Ive been told they sometimes have secondhand models .
regards
Garret 350
Whites M6

Titus Pantus

Post by Titus Pantus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi Dougie, the Garrett AT Pro is a great machine. I should be listing one on the MDF auction site within the next couple of days. Have a read on the Forums about them. Great for any kind of environment and waterproof up to 10 feet. ::g
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm

hi most of the minelab range of detectors work well on the beach wet or dry sand as long as you put them in neutral the ones that you can
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 pm

minelab soverign xs2a great beach machine, one on a site ending tmw
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger