Garrett ATX Extreme Pulse Induction Metal Detector

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
the-roman

Garrett ATX Extreme Pulse Induction Metal Detector

Post by the-roman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:46 am

Just wondering if anyone has used this machine yet and what do they think of it?
cheers keith ::g

Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

lardbelly

Re: Garrett ATX Extreme Pulse Induction Metal Detector

Post by lardbelly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 pm

I must admit to being quite interested in the ATX. I've got a couple of fields that i'm convinced have stuff in them that has sunk down too deep. If it is as good as they say the ATX could be an eye opener :D
Teknetics T2 SE with 15" NEL Attack and 13" Detech Ultimate and the diddy 5"
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
1. George III 3 Shilling Bank Token
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

detecttheearth

Post by detecttheearth » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi,

Bit of an old topic now but I have this machine and love it. I purchased it as over the next few years I am going to be heading to Western Aus gold prospecting. Here in the UK I have used it mainly in woods and I have been very pleased with the results. Perhaps they shouldn't be compared but it is giving me far better results than my XP Deus ever did.
The weight of it is a surprise at first but to be honest after my first couple of outings I'm swinging away with no issues and no harness. Harness would definitely be needed for those longer outings. I have a long way to go with it yet but so far so good.
It is built like a tank, folds away easily and conveniently.
It does come with a hefty price tag but I'm sure I will make my fortune once I hit the outback.
XP Deus / 11" and HF Elliptical / The Carrot

Termi

Garrett ATX Extreme PI Metal Detector - Beach Test

Post by Termi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Well guys, I finally decided to get one! I took it out to the beach today, just to have a test drive and get used to the set-up, handling etc.

I arrived about 2 hours before low tide, so water was moving off the beach through gulleys and there was a good mix of conditions, dry, damp, wet, smooth and rippled sand, standing pools and flowing water.

The ATX set-up was as factory settings, the only thing I set up manually was the ground balance, which took just seconds to complete. I had Ground Track off, the DD coil fitted to the machine.

Searching the beach, the ATX moved across dry to moist and wet sand, over and into salt-water pools without missing a beat, no interference or need to rebalance whatsoever, the only way I was aware of the change in conditions was by looking (and of course the water resistance whilst detecting in water).

There were clear indications when it found the usual beach items, but it really impressed when it found a coin about two feet down in wet sand - the only trouble I had was recovering it due to infill of sand.

In short I was very impressed by the ATX on the beach, although heavier than some machines, it seems to be so well balanced that it caused minimal strain to the wrist and arm, feeling more like just an extension, and so didn't cause me aches or stress by the end of the test.

Hoping to do a field test soon.

Happy digging ::g
Termi
Termi

Marcadia

Post by Marcadia » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info Still haven't tried the beach yet but went out in Bedfordshire today and found more iron !!!! To be honest I've even thought of selling it as getting very frustrated lol. Just haven't got the patience. Was going to get the AT Pro but bought a van instead, so money a bit tight at moment. May give it one more try next week at a beach and see how it goes.
Happy Hunting
XP Deus Full 9" Coil,WS4. Garrett AT Pointer and always fingers crosssed! [:)
XP Deus Full 11" Coil, WS5.

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Marcadia wrote:Thanks for the info Still haven't tried the beach yet but went out in Bedfordshire today and found more iron !!!! To be honest I've even thought of selling it as getting very frustrated lol. Just haven't got the patience. Was going to get the AT Pro but bought a van instead, so money a bit tight at moment. May give it one more try next week at a beach and see how it goes.
Happy Hunting
I am not surprised at you getting frustrated using a Garrett ATX machine on land, they are built for using in places like the USA or Australia hunting for gold. Remember those places have not got thousands of years of iron junk being scattered about the landscape like we have in the UK.

I have been using Pulse induction machines for about 25 years now but only on wet sand beaches hunting for gold bling. The only time I would consider using a pulse machine on land is when I needed the depth to find a suspected hoard. None of my pi machines cost anything like an ATX but I still manage to find Gold on the beaches

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Marcadia

Post by Marcadia » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Fair point thank you. Still learning but will be going to beach this weekend coming and if I find anything, I may not sell it lol

Marc
XP Deus Full 9" Coil,WS4. Garrett AT Pointer and always fingers crosssed! [:)
XP Deus Full 11" Coil, WS5.

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Marcadia wrote:Fair point thank you. Still learning but will be going to beach this weekend coming and if I find anything, I may not sell it lol

Marc
you have no chance using this machine inland in uk as its full of iron you will be digging every step its a PI so for beaches

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:44 pm

The ATX when use with the stock coil is the only coil being a DD that offers a very basic form of discrimination and i mean basic,infact i would say that although they say in the sales info it does have this facility its basically useless.

The 2 other coils that can be used are the 8'' and the 20'' but as these are 'Mono' coil the discrimintion system does not work,very similar to the GPX system,i use a 8'' version on my Crossbow PI machine and yes they can be adapted and work very well.Infact the smaller coil really is a lovely coil to use,its great for sensitivity and pinpointing and still offer very good depth.

The ATX is not your every day machine,its a big heavy bruiser and its main area of use in the UK is of course wet beach work,very highly mineralized ground and of course deep use for getting down to as some folks have mentioned hoards etc,but although they can be used inland of a fashion its only to be used when you have cleaned the site/area out before with a VLF machine,then once the ground is clear then use the a PI detector in this case the ATX.

The advantage i guess it has over some other high end PI machines is the fact that its waterproof to 10ft,but how often are folks likely to do that in the UK ??? not very often.

For a everyday beach machine in my mind they are over-kill,other machines can be used just as well on the beach infact the Garrett SeaHunter will do basically the same job but for just over 1/4 of the price of a ATX,the price to reward kicks into play here and basically the figure in my book just dont stack up.If you are a beach hunter 7 days a week merchant and are good at beach detecting and you find decent jewellery find on a regular basis then the figures would stack up.

Is the ATX a good machine,well it should be at nearly £2k would other machines do basically the same job for less,my reply would be yes.Of course this is just my personal opinion,of course if one has ultra deep pockets and want the best then go for it ::g

Inland use of a PI machine for everyday use,its not the norm of course as a VLF machine is the preferred machine and if you want to go deep then of course you can do by adding a larger coil and you still keep your discrimination with a VLF which you dont have as such with a large coil,although folks do use PI machines inland,very few and i mean very few use them on a daily basis.I do use PI machines but only for specific site work and then i basically use them after i have exhausted the use of a VLF machine or take the VLF machine to its limit.

Not alot else to say about a ATX or when/how to use it,in the right situation they can be a very good machines,but you do have to way up the reward to effort ratio and see if the cost warrants the expense.

Good luck with your machine,keep us updated.

Termi

Post by Termi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Field Test
As promised, I carried out my test in meadow and field using the ATX.
In summary, it could certainly locate small deep objects, it found a modern UK penny at round 24", however, its dealing with iron in these conditions caused me concern.
I was using the DD coil which allows you to use the iron discrimination button, however, I found this appeared to be accurate on only 60% of targets during my test, which can translate into a lot of unnecessary iron digging.
The deep searching coil does not allow iron discrimination and so would increase this problem.
If not being used in fields with very low iron content, it appears the best location for its use would be the beach.
Termi

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:48 pm

@Termi,thanks for the field update,the ATX has its uses but not as a every day machine,infact they are overkill on the build quality but that is because the spec they used was for the military infact the same housing and shaft setup is used on the Garrett mine detectors infact from a distance i doubt that you could tell them apart.

The 20'' Mono coil is a big old beast but once again it does have its uses especially when locating deep hoards or deep large gold nuggets,but as we dont have gold nuggets as such in the UK and not many hoards its a big amount of money to have laying around doing nothing.From observations the selling price of the ATX 2nd hand are very low,i guess that is basically because folks prefer to go for the GPX from Minelab.

Good review and good luck with the ATX ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:07 pm

You may find that the reliability or accuracy of the discrimination there is improves as you practice with this machine. If you are achieving 60% reliability now after a few months that could be almost perfect. I would always opt for a VLF machine on my beaches, partly because of the vast amount of iron and partly because they detect targets as deep as I can reasonably dig. There is no point in detecting a ring at 3 feet if the sand falls in (or you back gives out) after 2 feet. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:06 am

Just a reminder about the ATX.
I was looking at a US detecting site and a detectorist had bought an ATX which fell off a table with the headphones attatched the result was that the phone plug pushed right into the detector case, so it is not as robust as stated in the advert so take care.

Return to “Other Garrett Models Forum”