Garrett Sea Hunter PI Beach Find & Advice Needed

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
Pav

Garrett Sea Hunter PI Beach Find & Advice Needed

Post by Pav » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Garrett Sea Hunter 2 PI.
Low tide. 18k.

A bit of an impulse buy as a spare beach machine and only took it out to test it worked. Needless to say I have hit the area hard for a few days but nothing more but frustration.

I find the Sea Hunter very different to my Sovereign. I wanted to hate it so it would be as intended "a spare machine" but with this result can't help but want to pursue the PI more.

I find setting a threshold difficult. I am running it silent. Should the PI still be set with a slight background hum like my Sovereign?

First day I used the machine it was really stable. I then hip mounted the box and found I was getting false signals. After some investigation I found It sensitive to the coil plug being touched / knocked and have gone back to the shaft mount option. If I touch the coil on the sand it will sometimes false. As a result of both these issues I seem to be running the threshold really low for the dial (1-2) when it has a range (1-8). Does this low setting seem right?

I don't like the small coil which is only about 8". Need to investigate a bigger coil? Does any one know what options I have with this. I don't intend to dive with the machine.

What I will never know is would I have walked over these without a PI? I will most definitely be putting a ring on some string and be doing some beach tests. It definitely is sensitive. I have had to change my swing to bias my right side as it gets a signal from my scoop.

former member

Re: Garrett Sea Hunter PI Beach Find & Advice Needed

Post by former member » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Oooh..little beauty B-) ::g

Boandtia

Post by Boandtia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Pav wrote:Garrett Sea Hunter 2 PI.
Low tide. 18k.

A bit of an impulse buy as a spare beach machine and only took it out to test it worked. Needless to say I have hit the area hard for a few days but nothing more but frustration.

I find the Sea Hunter very different to my Sovereign. I wanted to hate it so it would be as intended "a spare machine" but with this result can't help but want to pursue the PI more.

I find setting a threshold difficult. I am running it silent. Should the PI still be set with a slight background hum like my Sovereign?

First day I used the machine it was really stable. I then hip mounted the box and found I was getting false signals. After some investigation I found It sensitive to the coil plug being touched / knocked and have gone back to the shaft mount option. If I touch the coil on the sand it will sometimes false. As a result of both these issues I seem to be running the threshold really low for the dial (1-2) when it has a range (1-8). Does this low setting seem right?

I don't like the small coil which is only about 8". Need to investigate a bigger coil? Does any one know what options I have with this. I don't intend to dive with the machine.

What I will never know is would I have walked over these without a PI? I will most definitely be putting a ring on some string and be doing some beach tests. It definitely is sensitive. I have had to change my swing to bias my right side as it gets a signal from my scoop.

I never run my Sea Hunter on more than 1. You need to play around 1 and under till it is quiet. discrim on 0. You will get some chatter swinging against the tide, ie. quiet to the left for example a little chatter to the right, not always, just sometimes. It is a great machine, I have had some terrific gold finds with it.

HH
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

LE.JAG

Post by LE.JAG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:16 pm

nice find ::g

PI are the best on the wet sand, even on the black sand

if you do not need a tight, try to find more powerful
the sea hunter is quite low, you can be sure you have walking on large gold rings,
without hearing them ...
PI Fisher--Aquamanta / Pulsepowers Goldscan 5C / Vista Gold / Nexus Coronado

forgive my english ...

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:09 am

The SeaHunter11 has 2 coil option,the 8'' Mono of which i really like alot and the very deep 14x10 Mono,both very robust coil and reasonably cheap as well to buy.

I use both these Garrett coil on my Crossbow and must admit they work a treat,my favourite is the 8'' coil main reason not only is it deep but also is pretty sensitive to small finds as well,the SeaHunter is a very underrated machine and does offer a very very crude form of discrimination.

Also is totally waterproof although its mainly designed for beach work,when you take into account a 14x10 coil the price comes in at around the £600 mark,of course then this will then offer you the option of using it for site specific deep work ie location hoards,then this machine starts to become very appealing especially if you are in the market for such a machine.

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 am

Pav wrote, "What I will never know is would I have walked over these without a PI? I will most definitely be putting a ring on some string and be doing some beach tests. It definitely is sensitive."

I always seem to be wondering, whilst I'm on particular sites, whether I would be better off using one of my other machines. On the beach this is an easier matter to decide since we can tie a ring to a piece of string and then see if the detector we are using picks it up at depth. I also use a Sovereign and if I can get it to run nice and stable (it's old and prone to faults but may need a new coil) then the merest hint of a signal can often result in a very deep gold ring. I've got a PI as well ( Whites Surf Pro) but I find I can waste a lot of time on nails etc from the beach huts and I don't think it goes as deep as the Sovereign anyway.

LE.JAG

Post by LE.JAG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:27 am

to go deeper than the sovereign
you must use a large coil on an ATX garrett eg
infinium be not bad too

but the best is to go into high voltage, TDI pulscan 14.4 volts
will be much deeper

the power of the pulse generated by the battery largely determines the depth reached by a PI
My goldsan, modify operates 18 volts ....
PI Fisher--Aquamanta / Pulsepowers Goldscan 5C / Vista Gold / Nexus Coronado

forgive my english ...

Gary_Graham

Post by Gary_Graham » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Can't fault the Sea Hunter using either coil, but be prepared to do some digging, a good sand scoop is a must.

I've pulled out a fishing hook from over a foot down!

With practice you can easily gauge the size of a target, especially with the standard coil.

Gary
Ctx3030, 6",11" and 17" coils.
Garrett AT Pro, std DD, 9x12 concentric, 4.5 super sniper, 12x13 Tornado.
Evo Pro scoop, Garrett carrot.

Pav

Post by Pav » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Thank you for your replies,
There is something appealing about the PI. I am definitely going to give these machines more time now.

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Great finds Pav, I am glad that you are going to give PI machines a good try.

I was hooked on PI's in the early 90's when I found a gold ring the first time out with a PI machine. Before that I was using a dedicated beach VLF machine for about a year and never found any gold.

Yes you dig more junk but the gold finds increase. The beaches I search are the ones my Grand-kids and before them my kids play on when they get the chance so I make sure I remove all the dangerous junk to keep them safe. To me that makes digging the junk worthwhile, the bling is a bonus.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:22 am

I also use a Whites Beach Hunter ID. It runs on two frequencies at once I think, one of them being 4kHz. It is my best detector for finding gold chains and tiny things like ear ring studs. I don't think it goes quite as deep on gold as the Sovereign but it will find silver at well over a foot down.

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am

I was thinking about buying a seahunter as the sand seems to be getting deeper around here.
I was on youtube the other day and there are some very good videos about setting up the seahunter which may be worth looking at.
If anyone uses the seahunter could they let me know how long the batteries should last.

Gary_Graham

Post by Gary_Graham » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:21 pm

I may be selling my sea Hunter mkII with both coils, to fund a ctx3030. I'll have to work out how to use the mdf thingy to sell it or see if Regtons will take it as part exchange.
Ctx3030, 6",11" and 17" coils.
Garrett AT Pro, std DD, 9x12 concentric, 4.5 super sniper, 12x13 Tornado.
Evo Pro scoop, Garrett carrot.

leslie(nova scotia)

Post by leslie(nova scotia) » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:15 am

Been running one since they were first introduced and have never had falsing nor problems...before that the seahunter LX500..great also.

Don't know what to tell you on the falsing as PI machines are much more stable in and around salt water.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:57 am

Machinist wrote:Great finds Pav, I am glad that you are going to give PI machines a good try.

I was hooked on PI's in the early 90's when I found a gold ring the first time out with a PI machine. Before that I was using a dedicated beach VLF machine for about a year and never found any gold.

Yes you dig more junk but the gold finds increase. The beaches I search are the ones my Grand-kids and before them my kids play on when they get the chance so I make sure I remove all the dangerous junk to keep them safe. To me that makes digging the junk worthwhile, the bling is a bonus.
Ray
Well said Ray ::g I'd like to think all beach detectorists follow your actions by routinely removing their junk from harm's way. The broken bottle necks, complete with metal top are just one of the significantly dangerous 'junk' finds. (and a good reason for wearing gloves)
Stay Lucky - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Pav

Post by Pav » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:54 pm

The battery condition is given by the number of beeps when you switch on, they are long lasting.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:06 am

Just got one. Detector body seems put together well. 1st outing with it had high hopes but just got ferrous bits and pieces :( Only 2 small gripes the plastic piece that joins the upper to the middle shaft seems under sized and wiggles for england maybe some insulation tape on the joiner will sort it !!. And a option of having a velco strap on the arm cup would of been nice as we all aren't going diving with it :D But what i woz really pleased with woz the evolution 360 sand scoop. Brilliant. x; x; x;

Return to “Other Garrett Models Forum”