Look no wires, Bluetooth conversion

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
Beach-Comber

Look no wires, Bluetooth conversion

Post by Beach-Comber » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

I have just converted my AT Pro and my ACE to wireless/bluetooth headphones for £31.

Fed up with having my head connected to my metal detector I decided to go wireless and was surprised at how easy and cheap it was.

From Amazon I bought a TaoTronics Bluetooth transmitter for £14.99 and a TaoTronics wireless bluetooth music headphones for £15.99. Both are rated at 7 hours on a 2 hour charge. So perfect for a days detecting.

Using Velcro I attached the transmitter just under the control box on the ACE and plunged the short 3.5mm plug directly into the control box. Works perfectly and is easy to remove to plug into the car USB socket for charging.

The AT Pro was a bit more expensive as I decided to buy the Garrett adaptor cable at £27 from Leisure Promotions rather than cut the headphone plug off the original headphones. The adaptor converts the waterproof AT Pro socket to a normal audio socket and relocates it at the lower arm rest bracket via a short cable. Here again I used Velcro for fixing the transmitter under the arm rest as it is so small and light.

So now I can use wireless headphones on either my ACE or my AT Pro by just connecting the transmitter to whichever detector I decide to use.

And the bonus is the headphones will work on any of your other bluetooth enabled devices.

Detecting just became that bit easier, and more fun.

Beach Comber.

Resurgam

Re: Look no wires, Bluetooth conversion

Post by Resurgam » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Any time lag on signals whilst running with this system? ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:50 am

I tried bluetooth with a couple of senders but the lag meant the "coin" registered 7" either side of where it was.
A bodge (not as small as bluetooth ) with a PLL RF setup is fine but bulky compared as you need to remove the guts from the original bits and rehouse them and ofcourse another box for the batteries.
Being PLL though means it locks on and rarely drifts off tune
They are also a bit tetchy about volume on my F75 but ok on my F5

Beach-Comber

Post by Beach-Comber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi,

To be fair I only proved the system worked on both detectors in the garage and have not tested in the field. At the time I was more worried that the input impedance of the bluetooth transmitter would be too high (> 10,000 ohm) and not cut off the internal speaker.

I hope to be out on Monday or Wednesday this week so will report back then on any problems with delay. it would be a great pity if there is a sufficient delay to render the idea useless, as I am feed up with the restrictive headphone lead.

Regards, Beachcomber.

Beach-Comber

Post by Beach-Comber » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Glenfiddich,

Thanks for the info. I just had a look at the link and I see that they also mention a slight delay even with their system. I am out detecting all day tomorrow, so I will know if the amount of delay is too great or not.

Hopefully if successful it will work out roughly a third of their package cost and the headphones I mentioned for £15.99 were also back type headphones, which made it all that much more desirable.

Regards, Beachcomber.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Bluetooth Wireless set up for less than £30
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 25#p747402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just one of the good discussions on this already, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Beach-Comber

Post by Beach-Comber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Bluetooth setup tested for delay.

Went to the beach on Monday and started off with the bluetooth setup. Never been to this beach before and it was basically mud. Rumour has it that there was a church here before a terrible storm in 1099 and the land was lost forever to the sea. Also I heard a silver hammed was found some time ago.

Ground balance was constantly changing and signals never seemed repeatable and I was beginning to think the bluetooth setup was to blame. After two hours I had found three very large caliber bullets (3 x 14.6mm diameter 25mm long) and a lead fishing weight. It was impossible to tell if there was any delay or not.

I stopped for a coffee break and changed over to the standard headphones, but ground balance and signals seemed no better, but I did get another ten bullets and two lead weights of which one is bell shaped and looks to be very old. Interestingly the three smaller bullets look to have silver jackets and came out the mud shinning, all three have a lead filling. (7 x 11.3mm diameter 31mm long and 3 x Silver bullets 7.0-7.6mm dia and 24-31mm long)

So today still concerned that I had not proved whether there was a delay or not I set up a plastic trough 50cm x 30cm and 30cm deep with damp builders sand and buried various decimal coins one at a time to test for delay. First I made sure that there were no external signals under the test sand pit and set up the ground balance before using any coins.

To test for delay I used two plastic markers either side of the target coin, placed at the exact location when the audio signal was first heard. Delay was then the distance between these two markers divided by two.

The results were very interesting, but probably what you would have expected on reflection. The deeper and smaller the coin the greater the delay. Worst case was 1p at 20cm giving four inches of delay. By the time I got to a £2.00 coin the delay was down to only about one inch or so.

The good news was that there was no discernible difference between standard headphones and the bluetooth setup.

Regards, Beachcomber.

Beach-Comber

Post by Beach-Comber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi liamnolan,

Thanks for the link. Pity I never saw that thread I could have saved myself a lot of trouble.

Regards, Beachcomber.

Return to “Other Garrett Models Forum”