Garrett carrot battery!

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
Easylife

Garrett carrot battery!

Post by Easylife » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Today I used my brand new Garrett carrot pin-pointer for the first time - just 5 hrs later the supplied 'Eveready 9 lives' battery was dead. I noticed that the battery has a manufacturing date of Oct 2017 so has been sat around for 16 months before my purchase which is not ideal. The same thing also happened to the last carrot I bought 2 years ago with the same supplied battery though that one did slightly better by lasting 2 or 3 days before it died. Those batteries really do seem like junk!
With the battery being low the sound and vibration were pulsating rather than increasing gradually, then it went constantly sounding off and would not switch off at all – typical symptoms of a low battery. With a decent fresh battery fitted it's working perfect again. This old stock battery issue is known by the sellers and so surely Garrett, so you’d think that the sellers would replace these old batteries before shipping as to a new customer it reflects upon the product. I find the Duracell Industrial batteries to be really good and last ages but I still always carry a spare just in case. :D

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Bargeman

Re: Garrett carrot battery!

Post by Bargeman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:59 pm

This is a common issue with the Garrett pointer, and I have seen it twice out in the field, I always carry a spare battery, and have given them to new owners having this problem. As an aside, I have also noticed this issue lately when buying torches, the batteries only ever last a few hours before needing replacement. x; ;;z

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 pm

The batteries in the carrot should last many months of frequent use. This only applies if you use reasonably fresh good quality batteries though. Cheap batteries tend to be a very poor investment! Simples! :D
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 pm

I agree with Fred, It's always been my view that quality 'known brand' batteries should be used especially in any costly equipment that you need to rely on. I'm probably a bit over the top when considering batteries in my detecting equipment due to having experienced leaking batteries a few years ago. Fortunately I was in time to deal with it before damage occurred.

To this day, I never leave batteries in situ longer than 'over-night,' preferring to remove them immediately after each session. Carrying spares of course is an absolute must......in case someone else needs them 8-| Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Just to add to the above, the Eveready 9 lives battery supplied with the carrot has a claimed expiration date of Oct 2020 and with only having about 15 mins use till unuseable 20 months before that date it just does not ring true. Same thing with my other 2 supplied carrots over the last 2 years so not an isolated case. They'd do better to not supply a battery at all. :)) ::g
White's TDI SL

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:50 am

We use energiser industrial u can get them in a 12 pack look the same as normal ones but a slightly higher mah ( pin pointers ...mates detector.....smoke alarms ....spares for people at rallies ...they soon go !!!) as we found that the Duracell seems slightly longer and doesn't fit well in mates detector battery housing ....seem to b ok in carrot also ::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

hello, i have had my garret pinpointer a few years and i must say a vast improvement to my original one from the 1980s, never had to change the battery yet and i just looked to check date , march 2018, i switch mine off when not in use ?????

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi
Found the same problem with my Garrett pro pointer, and figured stock must have been pre loaded at the factory and have sat around deteriorating before being sold. After using Duracell which lasted well have moved to Varta (rechargeable) with a back up and spares from Lidle (very cheap but do last a fair while). Must admit though always remove from pointer after use - just to prevent leakage. Hope rechargeable will be cheaper in the long run and Lidl spares often passed on to others in the field to avoid tbem getting to long in the tooth. (Varta from Screwfix at very reasonable price including charger).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Krusty

Post by Krusty » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm

And always remember to remove the little rubber bit from the battery terminal.i replaced the battery night before my last dig.carrot wouldn't work.removed new battery and replaced with old.still wouldn,t work.was in a panick until I looked inside and realised the rubber bit had stuck to the terminal inside the pointer.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I always leave the battery in and I get about 3 months use out of them before replacing. There are no leakage issues as not sitting in there too long. The Duracell Industrial PP3's I use are about £1.20 each so works out at less than a fiver a year. Other decent brands should also be fine if fresh.
White's TDI SL

wulliam

Post by wulliam » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I've had this issue too - Nigel Ingram at Regtons said this: "the batteries that they supply are useless I agree, I’ve asked Garrett to remove them rather than leave them in the probes but 6 yrs later they still supply them ……"
Kind regards,
William (currently wielding a Garrett 400i and ProPointer II)

Best find: QV 1864 (Die 19) Shilling
Coins Bronze Silver Gold
George VI S2 George V S2 Victoria B1 S1 George III B1

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”