garrett pro pointer.

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
Nil

garrett pro pointer.

Post by Nil » Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Guys I have a garrett pro pointer just out of 2 year warranty keep getting the low battery noise even when I have replaced the battery just 2 weeks ago. Checked the battery and it’s says it’s full. Anyone had the same problem? Any advice would be very welcome.

Easylife

Re: garrett pro pointer.

Post by Easylife » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 pm

I can only suggest trying another decent battery or possibly reducing sensitivity?
Though if only just out of warranty then Garrett may still honour the warranty out of goodwill? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 pm

if the battery is definitely okay. It will be the switch

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu May 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I agree with Koala, the on/off switch is a weak point, not only does it wear from constant use, but dust and grit get into it as well, which compounds the problem. Plus it's a 10 pence switch anyway, so expecting it to last long is rather optimistic.
They can be dismantled, the switch opened up, cleaned and rebuilt ...... but it's a heck of a fiddly job with plenty of pitfalls for the inexperienced.
I'm not sure aerosol 'switch cleaner' would help or not. The switch is accessible by pulling out the rubber button if it's a "Mark 1" propointer, I'm not sure about later models.

f8met

Post by f8met » Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am

Another thing you could try is putting a piece of folded cardboard on the top of the battery. There is normally a small pad which keeps the battery in place and this can deteriorate over time. I had to do this on my mk 1 when I added the lanyard ring as something similar would happen.

I guess I have just go lucky with the 2 mark ones I have over the last 6 years. Only reason I have 2 is because I tried to take the first one apart without pressing the switch down.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 25 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 am

f8met wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am
Another thing you could try is putting a piece of folded cardboard on the top of the battery. There is normally a small pad which keeps the battery in place and this can deteriorate over time. I had to do this on my mk 1 when I added the lanyard ring as something similar would happen.

I guess I have just go lucky with the 2 mark ones I have over the last 6 years. Only reason I have 2 is because I tried to take the first one apart without pressing the switch down.
As above. Almost word for word what I was going to post last night. Gave up on the reply ‘cause I couldn’t remember what the dingle dangle wire was called rl;

But, yes I had the same problem with mine when I attached a lanyard. Also they are fussy about batteries as well, they’re not all an identical size.
Make sure the contact is precise but not too tight, not too loose.
Something else that’s been commented on over the years is how you use them. They are NOT digging tools. I’ve seen peeps scraping, bashing clods, you name it. No wonder they have problems.
Mine is 8 years old and going strong. More than can be said of me :(

Junior

Post by Junior » Fri May 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Think Mr regtons sells the switch separate...if ur good with your hands.... just looked £4.95 .Don't know what sort of job it is but what goes in must come out ::g good luck

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Junior wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:49 pm
Think Mr regtons sells the switch separate...if ur good with your hands.... just looked £4.95 .Don't know what sort of job it is but what does in must come out ::g good luck
standard 6x6x10 through hole if I remember the sizes correctly. Anyhow its a standard switch and around 20p each. Unfortunately RS, Farnell and Mouser don't sell them last time I checked

They are all over an auction site from China. Can't remember the size .1 or .2 less than the 6mm work well. Pitch of the pins are the same

Not user changeable unless you have electronics experience

the Garrett board is very touchy to lifting a track if you use too long a dwell time with the soldering iron. I normally cut the old one of the board first. Warm the pins up and pull them out then clean up the area with some desolder braid and flux.

you my get some extra use out of the pinpointer if you pull the rubber cover off and squirt some contact cleaner while operating the switch. This will be temporary fix but normally last a few months.

Nil

Post by Nil » Fri May 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks everyone the battery’s are good and this has now happened with 2 different types. LP says that because it’s out 2 months out of warranty that Garrett won’t touch it. :-L

ianmc

Post by ianmc » Fri May 03, 2019 4:59 pm

How to replace your GARRETT Pro Pointer power swich on U-Tube

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”