Garrett pro pointer problem

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
BaldRick

Garrett pro pointer problem

Post by BaldRick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Has anyone else encountered a problem with their Garrett pro pointer. My pointer just goes off on its own sometimes, indicating a target. I have replaced the battery with the best quality one, and checked the cap is screwed on correctly. Does anyone have any ideas please.
Thanks.

I have a cunning plan

To be able to get up off my knees !

Allectus

Re: Garrett pro pointer problem

Post by Allectus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:21 pm

I've experienced this mate ;;z Had to send mine back for a replacement.....there's scores of 'wrong uns' out there ;;z

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Forgot to say - There's a two year warranty on them ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

BaldRick

Post by BaldRick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks a lot Allectus, I dont know what I would do without my pointer for a week or more, but I shall have a look on line for a contact address. Thanks again for your help.
I have a cunning plan

To be able to get up off my knees !

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:08 pm

i had this problem and sent mine back last week
i initially bought it from a seller on ebay and when it started going funny thought oh well thats it im not going to get a refund or anything but i had only bought it 6 months ago so sent them a message via ebay
they responded within 24 hrs asking me to send it back to them and they would check it out for faults
i sent it back and didnt hear anything so 3 days later went onto ebay and saw there was a phone number on the ebay advert so i gave them a call and they were very helpful and friendly
they said they forwarded it onto regtons as it was irepairable and i would more than likely recieve my new one in the post direct from regtons the next day oh and by the way did i know it had a 2 year warrenty?? and if i have any more problems then to let them know and they will sort it out for me
i waited for mr postie the next day and sure enough a there was a package from regtons with my name on it :D :D
great service from leisure promotions on ebay and thanks regtons for their speedy posting
Xp Deus 11"coil /AT pro /pro pointer and a lot of enthusiasm
first roman bronze 25/8/1, first hammy 27/4/15 Henry 3rd penny 1216-1272

tommypickles

Post by tommypickles » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm

BaldRick wrote:Has anyone else encountered a problem with their Garrett pro pointer. My pointer just goes off on its own sometimes, indicating a target. I have replaced the battery with the best quality one, and checked the cap is screwed on correctly. Does anyone have any ideas please.
Thanks.
My pointer was doing the same thing..... ;;z sent it back for replacement last year. i did however pick up a cheap one from amazon and it works great,if not better than the garret. ::g ::g
"Just want a hammy"

Garrett AT Pro.
Spade, Wife.
Pinpointer

tener

Post by tener » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 pm

mine has started to do this now.i can hold it in the air and it just goes off.. ;;z
i got mine from a guy on ebay just over a year ago,can i send it to garrett for repair,i dont have any paper work for it tho...
XP DEUS
GARRETT PRO POINTER
BLACK ADA RIPER
BLACK ADA INVADER
MINE LAB DIGGING TOOL

gazzer55

Post by gazzer55 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Having the same problem with mine :-( just started playing up for no reason and now starts sounding off just by giving it a shake. Regtons here i come mate.
Gazzer55
XP Deus
Garrett PinPointer
Lots of patience

rockape

Post by rockape » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:23 am

Been there, done that. I reckon there must've been a 'bad batch'. I was also unaware of the 2 year warranty. Sent mine back to the supplier on a Saturday morning and had a replacement
from Regtons (not the supplier) on the Tuesday. Was really impressed with the speed of this service. ::g

Rockape

tener

Post by tener » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Just got a reply from regtons, even tho its under 2 years old,
without proof of purchase they won't fix it under the warranty.
And as i can't find any proof I'm screwed!!
So I'll wait till it goes very wrong then buy a new one...:(
XP DEUS
GARRETT PRO POINTER
BLACK ADA RIPER
BLACK ADA INVADER
MINE LAB DIGGING TOOL

STIG

Post by STIG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:32 pm

tener wrote:Just got a reply from regtons, even tho its under 2 years old,
without proof of purchase they won't fix it under the warranty.
And as i can't find any proof I'm screwed!!
So I'll wait till it goes very wrong then buy a new one...:(
I believe that most of the problems are to do with the way the battery sits in it's housing !, try adding a thicker piece of foam inside the screw on lid and see if that stops it doing what it's doing ::g
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:41 pm

I recently started having problems with mine switching itself on and off ... Even slightly tightening or loosening the cap didn't help ... I then thought hmm the larger terminal for the battery looked a bit different in shape from the normal Duracell one so I replaced it with duracell and its been fine since

Probably wont help with it sounding off on its own but worth a shot?
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

STIG

Post by STIG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 pm

JamieB wrote:I recently started having problems with mine switching itself on and off ... Even slightly tightening or loosening the cap didn't help ... I then thought hmm the larger terminal for the battery looked a bit different in shape from the normal Duracell one so I replaced it with duracell and its been fine since

Probably wont help with it sounding off on its own but worth a shot?
I bought some cheap batteries a while ago and had that same problem ( on and off ), i now use the 9v Varta Industrial Alkaline Battery which works a Treat . . . ::g
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

Titus Pantus

Post by Titus Pantus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 am

tener wrote:mine has started to do this now.i can hold it in the air and it just goes off.. ;;z
i got mine from a guy on ebay just over a year ago,can i send it to garrett for repair,i dont have any paper work for it tho...
I had same problem. Bought a switch from fleabay, cost a fiver. Basic soldering skills and a solder sucker. Half hours work. Good as new now.
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

colin1325

Post by colin1325 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 pm

hi i seem to have a problem with my pro pointer .. sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt i switch it on and its ok then next time i go to use it and no sound will be forthcoming anyone heard of this colin

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:18 am

hi i seem to have a problem with my pro pointer .. sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt i switch it on and its ok then next time i go to use it and no sound will be forthcoming anyone heard of this colin
Sounds very much like it could be a battery problem, make sure the battery is tight, you may have to add some new packing inside the cap, also check the battery contacts to see if they have any corrosion or damage.
Cheers
mrix

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:25 pm

colin1325 wrote:hi i seem to have a problem with my pro pointer .. sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt i switch it on and its ok then next time i go to use it and no sound will be forthcoming anyone heard of this colin
I have had one where the vibrator works but no sound.. that said the sound came back after a while, its out of warranty and I use it as a reserve.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

colin1325

Post by colin1325 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:00 pm

hi there ive only used it 5 times as im new to the game i tried another battery and also packing behind battery didnt make any difference though. wen i got home i tried fiddling around with it and got it to do it several times .. although it was worse wen i was out in field colin

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:23 pm

hi there ive only used it 5 times as im new to the game i tried another battery and also packing behind battery didnt make any difference though. wen i got home i tried fiddling around with it and got it to do it several times .. although it was worse wen i was out in field colin
If its still in the 2 year warranty period do not tamper with it, just contact the dealer you purchased it from.
Best of luck
mrix

colin1325

Post by colin1325 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:18 pm

hi done that regtons only had it 3/4 weeks so still have receipt in my accs . mailed me, he cant get it to go wrong . typical. wen i was out in field it kept letting down then at home while i played about with it was still playing up. i just knew they would say that lol . i asked em to send it back and ill video it wen it happens , which is regularly, colin

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Got to say a big thank-you to everyone in here for their advice, sent the PP back to Regton and was back two days later with new speaker fitted. Fantastic speedy, no quibble customer service, thanks guys!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

roadwarriormax

Post by roadwarriormax » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm

on some ground that is highly mineralized ,that can cause the pointer to false out ,always a good idea to ground balance your pointer on this kinda ground ,just but its nose to the ground and switch on .sometimes this works ,many have said it the wires inside, that touch the main board .i,ve put heat shrink on these wires and with ground balancing it ,seems to have cured it ,not sure which one ,cured it ???? other people say the magnet at the nose of pointer is cracked causing the falsing ??? who knows .its a bloody pain :D
roman coins=79
roman brooches=12
rings=5
roman mounts=8
denarius=7
silver coins=87
you lucky,lucky :)

whites4900/d pro plus gb/max blackbox version
fisher f75SE+GSXR750 98 + rucksack = happy camper :)

arfajob011

Post by arfajob011 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Tried the replace battery option. Works a treat now :)

Pegasus

Post by Pegasus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:25 am

Is there a Security Washer set for the original Propointer - The current models have a Security Loop built in, unlike the Original version

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”