BEWARE on Fake Garrett Pro Pointer Selling

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
Bootneck

Re: BEWARE on Fake Garrett Pro Pointer Selling

Post by Bootneck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi Morley.It just shows you what is coming in from china and how good their fakes are Bootneck

Nailman

Post by Nailman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for the eyes up on these ::g ::g
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

KIPPERMAN32

Post by KIPPERMAN32 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi

Seen a listing on ebay earlier (251353040912) for them at 72.50...30 were sold by then..Thought i smelt a rat and few feedbacks were looking like theyd got a faulty one..(broken button etc) only 15 pound more for the real item. If its too good to be true,,,then it normally is..

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Buy cheap buy twice as they would say, exactly what happened to me today with me spade Lol
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

One of members just been stung with one of these off eBay. You have to be touching the object for it to sound off. Beware
Xp deus

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Oh gawd :-O ... I just bought one from ebay last night :-L

Hachi

Post by Hachi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:39 pm

alfaowner wrote:Oh gawd :-O ... I just bought one from ebay last night :-L
Contact Ebay and get a refund quickly.....

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Hachi wrote:
alfaowner wrote:Oh gawd :-O ... I just bought one from ebay last night :-L
Contact Ebay and get a refund quickly.....
The seller has good feedback .. I checked his other items for sale and he's got some detecting stuff for sale ... Fingers crossed its all ok :-L

If it's not ok ..I will be inserting the probe into the same place as the knomes nose in fawlty towers " the builders " :D :D ::g

Verulamium

Post by Verulamium » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:51 pm

The genuine ones are so unreliable the fakes may prove better!! =))
Looking for stuff.....mainly in fields.......

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Damn my fake ebay selling business has been rumbled at last. d; :D =)) ;)

To be honest I'm amazed the Chinese haven't just copied the real ones 100% exactly as I bet the components to make it properly are only about 1p more than what they've already put in that one.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

DAVYBFAST

Post by DAVYBFAST » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 am

you wil fine they are all made in china

Sheddy

Post by Sheddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 am

Verulamium wrote:The genuine ones are so unreliable the fakes may prove better!! =))
I've had mine since they cam out and never had an issue with it. The thing is that people never, ever shout about the probes working perfectly so the impression is gained that they are crap. I really can't imagine that all the Garett probes aver produced are crap, Garett would go out of business and Regtons would stop selling them.

The fact is that until Garett bought out that probe we were all using the Whites and the Bulls Eyes and they really are crap. We all bought them, we all used them twice, we all left them in the cars after that. Garett bought out a probe that was far superior to any other probe on the marketand it has only recently been surpassed by the Minelab probe, that's 50% dearer though.

Garett probes unreliable? I think you're talking out of your hat matey.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 am

DAVYBFAST wrote:you wil fine they are all made in china
Mine says 'Made in USA' on the box, and it's a genuine one. In fact I have 2 boxes that say that now. But maybe newer ones are made in China now. x;
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

Dannyt1979

Post by Dannyt1979 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Ffs I orderd one and supposed to be here tomorrow B| the feed back on the seller's page re the pro pointer seams good !!!!! Ill have to wait and see ;;z ;;z
"He doesn't even need the pro pointer"
Garrett 350
Pro pointer
A pass from the misses
And my buddy

targets

Post by targets » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:52 am

theres not much inside them so no reason why a copy cant be as good as the original.
they cant copy a Deus as its too dificult due to the control box components IDs being removed otherwise they would make copies.
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:19 am

The probe one of our members ,purchased for a tenner cheaper on eBay had slightly bolder Garrett writing on. Slightly diff speaker holes and was tested against an original Garrett. You had to be touching the object for it to sound off. Last I heard she sent it back.
Xp deus

evee2000

Post by evee2000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 am

One other point to note - the dodgy ebay ones do not come with a battery.
My treasures do not click together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

hardtail

Post by hardtail » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:08 pm

i spoke on the phone to the chap selling on ebay as we were trying to do a deal outside ebay OooO anyhow hes sounded a right dodgy chap on the phone and he said he has hundreds of them to shift and wanted £50 each for them but i backed out as he wouldnt give a serial number off one to check if they had valid warrenty and how he has now sold a few on ebay also got a second account selling them *MODERATOR EDITED* so beware ;;z ...guess ill have to buy a new one for christmas now :D
garrett ace 250
9x12 coil
6x9 coil
garrett pinpointer

Snuzzz

Post by Snuzzz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Guys

I've been bought a pro pointer for Xmas off ebay and this thread makes me want to open it and see if it's a real one. Before I do, can you guys link up any dodgy sellers you know of so that I can see their accounts and compare.

The account linked above early on in the thread still only has one negative comment, which seems to be about a faulty switch. No one is complaining about a fake.

Any links much appreciated.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Well, those that just beep once like in the video are fake ones. Those that progressively beep when drawing a metallic object towards the tip of the pointer (depending on the size of the object, may be closer or further away), until you come right next to the tip and it is just a constant tone, are real. If at the extreme of the PP's distance it can sometimes 'chirp' slightly. Currently sounds easy enough to tell them apart to me. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

amy71

Post by amy71 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I too had just purchased one & was waiting for it to be delivered, so I contacted the seller & told them about reading a thread on a forum concerning fakes, & surprise surprise they ended the listing & gave me a refund for £85 instead of £79!!! so what does that tell you ? ,':|

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi everyone

The question about Garrett Chinese made .If you check out the garrett sites , there is a video from the owner stating the quality and service pledge of the company. He states that all garrett products are made in the USA. Saying that though does he mean assembled in the USA from Chinese parts??

Bazza
Garrett AT Pro / Goldmaxx Power
Garrett Euroace
Garrett pro pointer

metalmicky

Post by metalmicky » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am

Never used one in my life. I do notice in the video that the probe is being tested with the coin on its edge. That's the weakest point on any detector. Have been thinking of buying an original, but would imagine it being the same, if was tested with a coin on its edge. Is there a similar test video using the original pointer.
Seek and ye shall find

JBM

Post by JBM » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

It wasn't exactly cheap! I personally thought the few pounds difference (£8) was just cutting out shop overheads! don't consider myself gullible or a cheapskate![/quote]

Theres the trap.

£ 8 off and it seems a bargain,

£30 pounds off and the warning lights come on.

All very carefully thought out. ;) Jerry.

Snuzzz

Post by Snuzzz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 am

The purchase was made by my partner and is intended to be a gift for Xmas. She's never seen a pro pointer, doesn't know what they should cost (although I did mention a figure) or that there are a bunch of fakes out there. The seller has 100% positive comments, does not have any other pointers for sale and has never sold one before that I can see. If it is a fake then I would just have likely have been taken in as my partner. Given the contents of this thread it seems as though I will need to test it to see if it's fake or not. Kinda takes the fun out of the gift though, don't you think.

amy71

Post by amy71 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

The purchase was made by my partner and is intended to be a gift for Xmas. She's never seen a pro pointer, doesn't know what they should cost (although I did mention a figure) or that there are a bunch of fakes out there. The seller has 100% positive comments, does not have any other pointers for sale and has never sold one before that I can see. If it is a fake then I would just have likely have been taken in as my partner. Given the contents of this thread it seems as though I will need to test it to see if it's fake or not. Kinda takes the fun out of the gift though, don't you think.[/quote]

well said snuzz, couldn't agree more!
And £8 cheaper not exactly a bargain!! only purchased it from ebay because I had £40 in paypal account I wanted to utilise, we're not all rolling in it.
thank you to The Ferret for the post which alerted many of us to scam!

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi all, I have cleaned up this topic and it took some serious pruning!
Its another example of why we do not allow Ebay links on the forum and its very unusual for us to let this type of Ebay issue survive.
The topic is an advisory one to forum members against possible fake equipment, so take that info on board and I hope everyone benefits. Its not good for seasoned detectorists to slight newcomers or anyone else for having made a purchase of what seemed to be a good bargain. Times are hard for most of us and if we see something priced down, then we might like to grab a bargain. Many top brands do get sold cheaper for all kinds of reasons, so a lower price is not always a sign that you are likely to be ripped off.
Lets be polite and helpful to each other and remember that not everyone has been walking around fields for the past 30 years, there has to be a start somewhere and on this forum it should be a warm and helpful one to all members. Before anyone posts and says "I was only telling the facts" pause for a moment to make sure its done in a positive way, Liam :;@
Liams Pro pointer - used three times, left behind in field three times ... may be useful on the Forum Dig pasture though! ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Verulamium wrote:The genuine ones are so unreliable the fakes may prove better!! =))
:)) :)) ::g Ain't that the truth!

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:28 pm

metalmicky wrote:Never used one in my life. I do notice in the video that the probe is being tested with the coin on its edge. That's the weakest point on any detector. Have been thinking of buying an original, but would imagine it being the same, if was tested with a coin on its edge. Is there a similar test video using the original pointer.
A genuine pro pointer will need to be almost touching a coin on its edge to be detected that way, similar to the video one, but this isn't a scenario you would encounter very often, as when you dig out a hole you have multiple 'angles of attack' and can move the PP around to locate the item, rather than only coming at it from one angle, and therefore potentially missing it. It will still be progressive in it's audio response and beep faster, up to a constant tone, when getting closer to the object.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

Dannyt1979

Post by Dannyt1979 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Just an update, my pp arrived and was a fake!! B| iv contacted the seller im waiting for my refund to hit the bank.....................watch this space!!!!!
"He doesn't even need the pro pointer"
Garrett 350
Pro pointer
A pass from the misses
And my buddy

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”