BEWARE on Fake Garrett Pro Pointer Selling

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
Ada

Re: BEWARE on Fake Garrett Pro Pointer Selling

Post by Ada » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 pm

[youtube]hEg89ssk7Mc[/youtube]
Hi all Im Ada, great forum by the way.
Just to add.
I brought one last week. Spotted the fake straight away as I already own a genuine pro pointer.
If you've never used the real thing you could be caught out...word to the wise!
Heres a quick clip I made which demonstrates a real Garrett pro pointer and then shows the fake pointer in action.
I purchased it on Ebay a few days ago, just waiting for a refund from the seller. Ebay and Garrett have been informed and Ive also sent them a copy of this vid.
The sellers id is xxchloe92xx
Last edited by Ada on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Time only exists because we have clocks

AdrianP

Post by AdrianP » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Being new to all this, I've found this thread very helpfull..

I had seen them on ebay at reduced prices but the savings weren't that great so Monday night I ordered one from Crawfords instead.

Arrived today and looks like it will be really usefull with my bad eyesight

So thanks for the advice

Ady.
Garrett Euro Ace
Minelab X-Terra 305
Tesoro Tejon

THE ULTIMATE BEACH DETECTING CHALLENGE PROGRESS: £58.60p
& 1/2 a 9ct gold ring :) (1.89g)

amy71

Post by amy71 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Ada wrote: I purchased it on Ebay a few days ago, just waiting for a refund from the seller. Ebay and Garrett have been informed and Ive also sent them a copy of this vid.
The sellers id is xxchloe92xx

I too informed garrett about this & now Regtons are dealing with it for me! sending them the fake so they can inspect it & forward on to America. ::g ::g

metalmicky

Post by metalmicky » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks for the vid Ada. Now i know what you mean. Conmen X(
Seek and ye shall find

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:04 am

Nice video, thanks for that and its good to know that the members will be better guarded against buying something dodgy. I will make this topic a sticky for a while so that it stays more visible, Liam ::g :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Emit ChaHunter

Post by Emit ChaHunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

hihosilver wrote:
DAVYBFAST wrote:you wil fine they are all made in china
Mine says 'Made in USA' on the box, and it's a genuine one. In fact I have 2 boxes that say that now. But maybe newer ones are made in China now. x;
mine says it was made in the back of steves garrage. drats and double drats mine must be fake to. x; i was suspicious about the paper toilet roll housing. ;f only joking but on a serious not i am looking into getting a garrett pro pointer soon so thanks for the heads up on the fakes out there. ::g ::g
wealth isnt in the gold and silver. wealth is in the knowledge and history you dig up.
garrett ace 250
Stock coil and Nel Hunter coil
black adder. invader 2 shovel and draper short shovel

justinbell

Post by justinbell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 pm

DannyT has beed assured he would get a refund off the seller...... 6 days later...... still no refund. Time to take things further I'd say!

The seller included his home address when he sent the fake pro-pointer. I wonder if that is a genuine address. I also wonder if he would like some visitors........
Every field has a coin and a story
http://www.youtube.com/user/justinbell1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Garrett AT Gold with Nel Attack coil

hardtail

Post by hardtail » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Noticed theres numerous people trying to sell them now on there , ive put a cheaky warning add up there hopefully warn potential buyers from steering clear ... ;)
garrett ace 250
9x12 coil
6x9 coil
garrett pinpointer

Ada

Post by Ada » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 am

Update:Re Fake pointers on fleabay - 3rd Nov
After much hassle Ive manage to contact 22 Ebay buyers who it seems unknowingly left good feedback for these fake pro pointers not knowing the difference between the copy and the real thing. Glad to say that 17 buyers have contacted me with a thankyou for helping them obtain a refund. Im informed that the sellers paypal account has been frozen to fund pending refund cases. Funny thing is, three buyers messaged stating that they were happy with the item and the good feedback they left for the seller.
Like they say, it just goes to show, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it send a dodgy pro pointer back for a refund. Oh well, thats my good deed of the decade completed, now I can go back to being a grumpy old sod.
[youtube]hEg89ssk7Mc[/youtube]
Time only exists because we have clocks

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:00 am

just thought id add about fakes, if you bought one of these off the chinese wholesale sites you will probably not receive it uk customs are on the the ball with these fakes, the fleabay sellers are getting round this by being in the uk, so the qestion has to be asked, how come one fake can be detected and stopped but a pallett of them gets through?.
we tried to buy a teknetics t2 clone, for an evaluation as some of the europeans had said they were just the same, if the wrong colour, but customs stopped it and desroyed it, the thing is though the same factory sells goldbug2 clones and they are allowed!, its to do with the names and markings, the t2's are almost identical to the texas ones even down to the tekneticks stickers except they are green not black(like the old ones), the goldbugs however dont have fisher markings and have a different name the vdi instrument plate is not the same as the fisher either, so those are allowed to be sold within europe, simply cloning a detector in its self is not what makes them illegal its to do with if its designed to deceive and if it has fake copyrighted marks on it.
the goldbug clones are actually made by the very factory that made them for first texas, they are made for the china home market, and not supposed to be sold outside china.
this is why so much stuff gets cloned in the first place, they build and make stuff for us, the company gives the factory the rights to make them for the home market, third party companies buy this stock and resell it outside china, the sad bit is these garrett fakes are probably made in the same factory as the garrett ones, the garrett ones are made in china because they have the china europe mark on them, they are probably assembled in the usa.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 am

i've been thinking about it and i bet the circuit boards are made in the usa, the case and everything else made in china, then garrett assemble them and put in the board, that would explain why they look identical but have a completely different action, the china ones probably have some cheap non motion smt pointer circuit shoved in, but the real ones do have china export marks on then so if the electricals are american it explains alot.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”