Minelab E-Trac 2 tone ferrous

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
Bilko

Minelab E-Trac 2 tone ferrous

Post by Bilko » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 am

I use this all the time with great success.

Anybody else tried it?
Last edited by Bilko on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.metaldetectingagency.co.uk/t ... ieces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stargazer

Re: Minelad E-Trac 2 tone ferrous

Post by stargazer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Wide open ?

I'm going to give it a try.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

northnewbie

Post by northnewbie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Chaps....can you explain a little more, as i have recently got an etrac and finding i previously did better with the ace 250...help would be appreciated.
Thanks Darren
http://www.homeinstone.com Cheap natural stone tiles from around the world

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I've cut & pasted this post from a guy on our club site;

-----------------------------------------------------

All the programs are pointless all you need is all metal mode and just dig all low to mid tones (if in conductive mode)and the high sweet ones if the cross goes to the top right of the screen.
If your in an iron laden site switch to 2 tone ferrous mode as per Gazs settings which can be found here;
Quite a few users have given me some feedback and are getting on great with this setup. I've tweaked and tidied it up a bit and also now put it where people can find it.
Here it is with the explanations why and my theory behind it!!

Lets discuss the discrimination pattern first. It's quite simple really.
Set your screen up in All Metal first. Then go into 'edit pattern' and black out on the very top line
FER 01 CO 01 to FER 01 CO 37. Leave FER 01 CO 38 to 48 open and black out FER 01 CO 49 & 50.
Why I hear you ask!
Here's the theory...well it's more than a theory because I'm personally convinced!!
On the ETrac, large deep iron will false and 'wrap' around the FE scale from FER35 to FER01. By masking out this line, it will quieten the machine down as on sites with loads of iron, this will confuse you and interrupt your routine as it will keep giving you 'blippy' high tones which you'll chase around.
By leaving out FER 01 CO 38 - 48, you'll still pick up large silver targets which sometimes appear in this area. This could be silver crowns etc.
Again, many people will have opinions on this but this is mine!
So, that's the pattern.

Sensitivity:
This is really up to the user. Me?, I generally use Auto +3 and find it always ranges quite high where I go.
As of yet, nobody has given me any technical reason why Manual is better than Auto +3. They just say "It is". It has something to do with the way the 3 separate channels work I suspect.
I like Auto +3 because it always runs the ETrac properly letting me pick out signals without it popping and chirping. I think people miss many targets by running too hot.
I view is that you should run a detector stable. If you push it too far, I think it has a detrimental effect on depth.

Audio:
Threshold Level: 1 (This will remove the background hum as we don't need it. It will now make targets burst through better.)
Volume Limit:30 (Keep this at factory preset of 30)
Volume Gain:25 (The preset is 24. This basically enhances deep, faint signals so you can hear 'em better. I used to max this out on 30 but I felt it was amplifying the ground too much and was getting a bit 'blippy')
Response:Normal (I like this the most as it give a generally nice and crisp target sound)
Tone ID: No. of tones - 2 (Will give a high and low tone)
Sounds - Ferrous (Will spilt the screen horizontally for tones) (FER 01 - 17 HIGH, FER 18 - 35 LOW)
Variability - 30 (doesn't effect us really!)
Limits - 30 (ditto)
Threshold pitch:15 (This is factory preset level but it doesn't effect us)

Expert:
Recovery Deep: On (This just enhances the deep, faint signals)
Recovery Fast: On

The theory behind these settings are that it supercharges the ETrac. By not discriminating out the iron, you won't be nulling it. This means no recovery lag as you'll get a low tone instead.
By switching FAST ON as well, it switches off some additional filtering that the ETrac uses to stablise target ID's on the screen. If you're not bothered by slightly fluctuating ID numbers, it will increase close target separation. So if good targets are close to iron, you'll get an increased chance of a high tone next to a low tone.
That's why these settings are so good at getting targets in amongst iron.

Trash Density: Low
Ground: Difficult (Okay, people will say that the jury is still out on this one. Tests were done with a large silver full crown coin. For some reason, Neutral had some issues picking it up. Switching to Difficult made it blast through. That was enough reason for me so it stays on Difficult.)

I'm UBIQUE! RE

northnewbie

Post by northnewbie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Cheers Gazer, will try it this weekend.
Darren
http://www.homeinstone.com Cheap natural stone tiles from around the world

Bilko

Post by Bilko » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm

stargazer wrote:I've cut & pasted this post from a guy on our club site;

-----------------------------------------------------

All the programs are pointless all you need is all metal mode and just dig all low to mid tones (if in conductive mode)and the high sweet ones if the cross goes to the top right of the screen.
If your in an iron laden site switch to 2 tone ferrous mode as per Gazs settings which can be found here;
Lets discuss the discrimination pattern first. It's quite simple really.
Set your screen up in All Metal first. Then go into 'edit pattern' and black out on the very top line
FER 01 CO 01 to FER 01 CO 37. Leave FER 01 CO 38 to 48 open and black out FER 01 CO 49 & 50.
Why I hear you ask!
Here's the theory...well it's more than a theory because I'm personally convinced!!
On the ETrac, large deep iron will false and 'wrap' around the FE scale from FER35 to FER01. By masking out this line, it will quieten the machine down as on sites with loads of iron, this will confuse you and interrupt your routine as it will keep giving you 'blippy' high tones which you'll chase around.
By leaving out FER 01 CO 38 - 48, you'll still pick up large silver targets which sometimes appear in this area. This could be silver crowns etc.
Again, many people will have opinions on this but this is mine!
So, that's the pattern.

Sensitivity:
This is really up to the user. Me?, I generally use Auto +3 and find it always ranges quite high where I go.
As of yet, nobody has given me any technical reason why Manual is better than Auto +3. They just say "It is". It has something to do with the way the 3 separate channels work I suspect.
I like Auto +3 because it always runs the ETrac properly letting me pick out signals without it popping and chirping. I think people miss many targets by running too hot.
I view is that you should run a detector stable. If you push it too far, I think it has a detrimental effect on depth.

Audio:
Threshold Level: 1 (This will remove the background hum as we don't need it. It will now make targets burst through better.)
Volume Limit:30 (Keep this at factory preset of 30)
Volume Gain:25 (The preset is 24. This basically enhances deep, faint signals so you can hear 'em better. I used to max this out on 30 but I felt it was amplifying the ground too much and was getting a bit 'blippy')
Response:Normal (I like this the most as it give a generally nice and crisp target sound)
Tone ID: No. of tones - 2 (Will give a high and low tone)
Sounds - Ferrous (Will spilt the screen horizontally for tones) (FER 01 - 17 HIGH, FER 18 - 35 LOW)
Variability - 30 (doesn't effect us really!)
Limits - 30 (ditto)
Threshold pitch:15 (This is factory preset level but it doesn't effect us)

Expert:
Recovery Deep: On (This just enhances the deep, faint signals)
Recovery Fast: On

The theory behind these settings are that it supercharges the ETrac. By not discriminating out the iron, you won't be nulling it. This means no recovery lag as you'll get a low tone instead.
By switching FAST ON as well, it switches off some additional filtering that the ETrac uses to stablise target ID's on the screen. If you're not bothered by slightly fluctuating ID numbers, it will increase close target separation. So if good targets are close to iron, you'll get an increased chance of a high tone next to a low tone.
That's why these settings are so good at getting targets in amongst iron.

Trash Density: Low
Ground: Difficult (Okay, people will say that the jury is still out on this one. Tests were done with a large silver full crown coin. For some reason, Neutral had some issues picking it up. Switching to Difficult made it blast through. That was enough reason for me so it stays on Difficult.)
I personally do not discriminate 01 out since many of my signals start off as FE 01 so I personally wouldn't take out that line.I take out FE 24 upwards. I will still get low tones which I ignore, but 5% of the time I get low and a high tone together and I can target the high tone with my Sun Ray probe when the hole is dug.
http://www.metaldetectingagency.co.uk/t ... ieces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackadder43

Re: Minelab E-Trac 2 tone ferrous

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Gaz has tweaked this pattern again and now turns "recovery deep" off
And pushes "volume gain" to max 30
Volume gain enhances the deep signals the same as recovery deep on would do, but without the added filtering and process power.....
It doesnt have to be an iron laden site to use these settings......
But, it is individual preference as to how you run the Etrac...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 am

ello every body, just wondering if any one else is using these settings and what are our thoughts on it. ive just done an air test on a small hammered and its giving me a low tone fe-30 co-9 at around 6inches, just worried im missing lots of things by only digging high tones. :-/
E-TRAC

sugar

Post by sugar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:46 am

how can i add anymore ALL THE ABOVE is GOOD SOLID ADVICE follow it and you cant go wrong the posts are long and tedious as there is really no putting it in a nutshell it has been explained correctly and any queries people on here that have experienced this machine will answer your questions GOOD LUCK and HAPPY HUNTING

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 pm

thanks for the reply sugar. im just worried that a small silver penny is sounding like iron
E-TRAC

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm

In conductive, small hammered come in with a low tone as do many other small coins.

The trouble is bloomin foil comes in this area too ! :((

I'm UBIQUE! RE

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:47 pm

im getting a mixed responce testing it in ferrous, im getting a nice high tone close up but as i get further away i get i get a low tone with the odd high blip some times, i always thouht this was iron falsing, thinking back to when i dug my hammy i was grtting that same split tone, almost didn't dig it. ive egnored many targets like that :( i guess ive still got alot to learn lol
E-TRAC

sugar

Post by sugar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm

billy fishpond wrote:im getting a mixed responce testing it in ferrous, im getting a nice high tone close up but as i get further away i get i get a low tone with the odd high blip some times, i always thouht this was iron falsing, thinking back to when i dug my hammy i was grtting that same split tone, almost didn't dig it. ive egnored many targets like that :( i guess ive still got alot to learn lol

if in doubt dig it and log it in your brain it does stop you worrying you have just left a good target in the ground i use 2tf but dont take any notice of the id reading as if there is iron down there it will grab hold and give you the id of the bigger iron object

if you get any high bleeps using 2tf it will be a good target so dig

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm

im not sure the numbers are of amy use at all to be homest, they flip and chage loads with every sweep even with nothing else around im even getting fe up to and over 30 for a small silver coin some times. think its abit more luck than judgement, thanks for your advice sugar im most greatful
E-TRAC

sugar

Post by sugar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm

#

if numbers are jumping you may have by mistake put it in manual sensitivity which will chirp like a canary on crack. ok look at the two bars on the far left if you have a circle rotating at the top of them then you are in auto sensitivity and that is ok if no circle it has been swithched to manual
if you use the four directional buttons bottom left hit left or right to move you from one sensitivity to another and the up amd down directional buttons to move the sensitivity up and down SO EASY when hunting/ so keep in auto plus 3 will be good for a new user just shoot with any questions always someone to help

Tekka

Post by Tekka » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 pm

First few days with the etrac & have it set up the same as gaz settings. This might sound like a silly question, every one says you don't really take much notice of the numbers but listen to the machine. There is only 2 tones the "grunt" you don't dig but dig the "high" tone. there is only 2 tones so were does this " listen to the machine " come into play? Surley multiple tone setting will only offer this option? Every high tone is anything from a coin, pull tab to a gold ring. How can people say they know what it is before they dig it when the tone is the same? Should I run multiple tones?
Etrac & Garrett pro pointer

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am

I can't seem to copy the link on my phone. But this may answer the other Strava post below

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 pm

New owner of an Etrac!

Had to do a cheeky bump on this thread!

Does anybody still use these settings? I like the sound of them and wanted to make my ETRAC a little less noisy whilst I get used to it.

Cheers guys.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm

sussexswinger wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 pm
New owner of an Etrac!

Does anybody still use these settings? I like the sound of them and wanted to make my ETRAC a little less noisy whilst I get used to it.

Cheers guys.
No. I've changed from 8 years ago and run almost wide open now in conductive and multi tones. If short on time on that land I use automatic - otherwise I run it on full 30 if I can stand the noise.

I'm UBIQUE! RE

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 pm

stargazer wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm
sussexswinger wrote:
New owner of an Etrac!

Cheers guys.
No. I've changed from 8 years ago and run almost wide open now in conductive and multi tones. If short on time on that land I use automatic - otherwise I run it on full 30 if I can stand the noise.
Thanks buddy, why the change?
Also for a beginner do you think 2 tone ferrous is a good starting point?

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm

sussexswinger wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 pm
stargazer wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm
sussexswinger wrote:
New owner of an Etrac!

Cheers guys.
Thanks buddy, why the change?
Also for a beginner do you think 2 tone ferrous is a good starting point?
Natural progression mate. My post was 8 years ago. Yes, go with what your comfortable with and see how it goes.

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 am

Where I found two tone ferrous to be good, was where there were lots of nails etc. and I was struggling.
It certainly helped me to pick out good targets in those conditions and won't do your head in with constant chirping.

Once you get used to the E-Trac you should be more able to cope with its multi tones in conductive.
Some E-Trac users never get on well with conductive and use ferrous tones for preference.

I wouldn't recommend two tone ferrous in the very early stages of learning the E-Trac though. I stuck to the factory programmes for some time before branching out.

The tones are far more reliable than the screen numbers, which can be very misleading indeed.

I hope you enjoy the challenge of learning the E-Trac as much as I have done ::g .
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you for your reply.

Off out for my first swing with the ETRAC next week.

I'm going to try to two tone Gaz Pattern to begin with and then give conductive multi in coin mode a go if I'm really struggling.

It's quite a steep learning curve from my old ace 250 but worth it methinks.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am

sussexswinger wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:39 am

I'm going to try to two tone Gaz Pattern to begin with and then give conductive multi in coin mode a go if I'm really struggling.

I stuck with 'coins' for the first few weeks. I did try fiddling with sensitivity but soon gave that up as it was too much to cope with. In the early stages the apparent 'more' is often actually 'less' and if it does your head in, you wont enjoy it. It will all fall into place.

After a couple of years and using it a lot, I have got as far as tadpole discrimination pattern, conductive, multi-tones, smooth response, auto +3 sensitivity (depending on ground) and toggling into manual sensitivity and all metal at times.

The smooth response is quite a revelation in making good targets stand out, however I really struggled with pinpointing with smooth for a start. Smooth is worth sticking at in due course though.
Good luck ::g

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Wigeon wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am
sussexswinger wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:39 am

I stuck with 'coins' for the first few weeks. I did try fiddling with sensitivity but soon gave that up as it was too much to cope with. In the early stages the apparent 'more' is often actually 'less' and if it does your head in, you wont enjoy it. It will all fall into place.

After a couple of years and using it a lot, I have got as far as tadpole discrimination pattern, conductive, multi-tones, smooth response, auto +3 sensitivity (depending on ground) and toggling into manual sensitivity and all metal at times.

The smooth response is quite a revelation in making good targets stand out, however I really struggled with pinpointing with smooth for a start. Smooth is worth sticking at in due course though.
Good luck ::g

Thanks buddy. I was thinking auto sensitivity +3 to begin with. Then if it was a little noisy just reduce it manually. Good plan?

Again if the 2 tone ferrous is a bit much I'm gonna crack on in coin mode, multi.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Two tone ferrous should be relatively quiet unless you have a serious amount of iron. You will also need to reduce the threshold hum so you can't hear it.

I don't think the risk of too much noise is likely, however the two tone cut off is at line 17 on Fe, it may be that you miss some good targets. I say maybe, because I don't know for sure.

If you put the machine in auto sensitivity you can use the up and down arrows to go from -3 to +3 very easily. That way you will soon determine how much the ground will stand. If you set your manual sensitivity at 28 or 29 you can toggle into manual very easily too. The machine will soon tell you if sensitivity is too high because it will chirp away and not only do your head in but get you digging for shadows.

E-Trac is a powerful piece of kit that takes a fair bit of learning.

There are members on here who are much more experienced than I with the E-Trac, so hopefully they will give some advice too.

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Went out on Tuesday.

TTF went well, relatively quiet.

Found a nice George V penny too which is most welcome after months of nothing with my old ace 250.

A few iffy signals, high tone one way, low the other. Any advice on these??

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:09 pm

sussexswinger wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 pm
Went out on Tuesday.

TTF went well, relatively quiet.

Found a nice George V penny too which is most welcome after months of nothing with my old ace 250.

A few iffy signals, high tone one way, low the other. Any advice on these??
There are several things you could try.

Try swinging from different directions, low and slow.

Go into the Quickmask screen with no discrimination and listen to that.

Toggle into manual sensitivity with the level set at 28 or thereabouts, if the ground will stand it.

Take a bit of soil off so that the coil is closer to the target.

If still in doubt then dig it. Anything you are not sure of, best plan is to dig it.

sussexswinger

Post by sussexswinger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Great advice, many thanks.

I've heard that if it pings at 90 degrees but not on the down stroke its iron??

Any truth in that?

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”