13" ultimate coil for E trac a good move?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
SheffieldSparky

13" ultimate coil for E trac a good move?

Post by SheffieldSparky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi guys, I,m thinking about investing in a ultimate coil for my e trac but after reading various post about falsing probs and having to do fixes with ptf tape I,m not convinced :-SS A load of you guys use them so good and bad posts would be helpful, as £150 not cheap ::g

Minelab Etrac
Predator phones
Ace 150
Pro Pointer

Le rocher

Re: 13" ultimate coil for E trac a good move?

Post by Le rocher » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 pm

I tried with the bigger coil and it drove me mad with falsing. What ever I did with the settings it played up and ate into my so valuable detecting time. So I have stuck with the stock coil as I know it works and I an find things but of course I cover less ground slower. The only person I know that uses one well is Richard aka pondguru on YouTube. Check out videos

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:32 pm

i have one and never really take it off .i did try a sef 15 x 12 but they are a bit on the heavy side and they are certainly no better. as for falsing can't say i have had much of a problem only on ground all other coils play up on .it is also good on small targets having found cut halfs and quarters ,and it has also found me a gold stater at 10 inches deep . and at 150 it is cheaper than the sef or the nel or coiltex .so this is just based on my using the detech ultimate coil.i have even thought about getting one for the goldmaxx when finances allow
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 pm

try a sef i use standard sef on my explorer it works a dream ::g

tasman

Post by tasman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 pm

I've got a ultimate coil for my E-Trac and its brilliant,i use it all the time... ::g
its got great depth and good pin-pointing :D

little Kev. &*( [:)

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 pm

I fitted the 13" Ultimate approx 1 year ago and it has stayed on since ::g

The main difference I found was the separation on targets, signals seem clearer and I was amazed with the amount of targets it picked up right next to iron but the low & slow method is a must.
Pin pointing is spot on with targets indicated right under the shaft bracket.

I have had no real trouble with falsing and run the E with very little discrim and manual sensitivity very high. I think any issues with falsing were mainly down to ground conditions.
Cant say the depth is dramatically different but it is sensitive and picks up the smallest coins and buttons etc on ground that was well covered before...that may just be luck ;)

All that said I would recommend this coil but maybe some members who have used the Sef or Nel coils can make a better comparison.
Ger.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

fabio961

Post by fabio961 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 am

The only thing I found with putting a larger coil on the e-trac (and explorer) was the weight. I went with the Coiltek WOT coil. I had no issue with falsing UNTIL the fixing bolt starts loosening up.

No matter how many times, or different washers I used, after 2 hours it would work loose again.

SO..if you are getting a bigger coil, get a proper bolt..not a replica one off of auction sites.

One other thing, and a tip I received, buy a seperate lower stem and leave that coil on there. Much quicker when you swap the coils around ;)

To be fair though, the e-trac is such a sensitive machine, the SEF stock coil is superb anyway and I use that most of the time

jimbotrucker

Post by jimbotrucker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 am

I have the ultimate coil on my quattro and never take it off, I have no falsing and it is far superior to the standard coil, be carfull when buying one as with all expensive items they have been cloned, I phoned around the top detector shops and got £15 knocked off and free postage just by asking what they could do it for ::g
Minelab equinox 600
Quest pro
Two mad dogs
Not enough time in fields :-( too far from the beach :-(
Not enough Land :-(

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 am

my ultimate never came off once i put it on, the ptf tape is a quick and easy fix, it worked for me, a fantastic coil on a fantastic machine ::g
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

clint

Post by clint » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Yep,noted difference with the ultimate coil,depth is improved and so is the signal on deeper targets.I have a field full of old mixed rubble and red brick and deep iron,I`ve winkled out a fair bit with it.No problems with falsing other than some locallised emi which affects the stock coil and my Euroace.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 pm

I've only recently bought one of these coils. My stock coil broke, well one of the 2 attaching lugs broke off.

As I have only had it for a short spell, I can't offer a proper definitive answer. But briefly, it is much bigger than the stock coil.

It does seem to be more stable, in that I can run sensitivy much higher.

It isn't any heavier than the stock coil IMHO.

It does seem to be a bit flimsier, for example; I wouldn't like to get in amongst hard stubble with it.
However, being as all my local land is pasture, it helps to cover the ground more as it is a bigger coil.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I've got one too & use it almost exclusively ::g I only use the stock coil amongst rape stubble now. I did have one strange turn out as regards falsing last autumn.....there was a large area of a wheat stubble field where the spilt grain had started growing again & was wet with dew. Every time I went to that area the ET would start falsing.....lots of good, one off signals just disappeared on re-checking - nothing :-/ :-/

Apart from that it's been very good ::g Nice & light with more ground coverage, stable(usually) & possibly a tad more depth. ::g

Cheers

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Had one for a long time now and I use it all the time except when on the beach.

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Fantastic coil. I was watching some Etrac Youtube videos the other day and the Detech Ultimate looked to be working fine.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Harry Digger

Post by Harry Digger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:31 pm

FUBAR wrote:Had one for a long time now and I use it all the time except when on the beach.
What's the problem with using one on the beach mate? Falsing? :-/
Roy Everett ‏@RoyEverett 1h
I'm outside Old Trafford and there's a guy burning small effigies of Rooney and selling them to fans. Oh, hang on. It's a baked potato stand.

trappa

Post by trappa » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Im not mad keen on mine, weight is an issue plus the balance of the machine seems wrong, the weight is all at the coil and i didnt like it.
Tried it on beach too, TERRIBLE! Falsing constantly. On pasture it was getting a little deeper than the FF coil plus pinpointing was better too.
XP Deus
Sovereign GT
[url=www.exopest.co.uk]

andyhall74

Post by andyhall74 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi were does the ptfe tape go to stop faulsing is it just on the thread or the whole socket cheers

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:52 pm

andyhall74 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm
Hi were does the ptfe tape go to stop faulsing is it just on the thread or the whole socket cheers
i answered your question here ::g

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=39374
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”