Please help, new user wondering about upgrade to Coiltek or Detech

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
David&Beverley

Please help, new user wondering about upgrade to Coiltek or Detech

Post by David&Beverley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Ok so I've had a read through and can't see any specific thread from a detectorist who has used both of the following coils in addition to the Etrac Stock coil.

15" Coiltek All Terrain Treasure (newer model not the old WOT) coil
13" Detech Ultimate

I'm looking at upgrading the standard stock coil for my Etrac as I'm currently working a new Permission that is low trash, only suffering old agricultural iron bolts/nails occasionally and no bottle tops/ringpulls as yet! Land hasn't been detected on and the substrate has a solid clay layer that runs from anything at 8inch to 20in, but generally about 14". It does seem things are settling down to the clay layer but not going deeper. Site has past roman activity nearby and have already found a lead shot from a sling and a medieval crossbow head.

I tend to run the etrac very slow, minimal discrimination on a modified relic pattern across row 1 Fe to cut iron falsing upto around 34 on the conductivity and pretty hot on manual in or around 28 and accept there is some false signals which can then be rechecked. I'm just wondering what would be the better option and interested from people who have experience of all 3 coils on the Etrac and can provide some unbiased reviews on target identification capability on coin sized objects, stability and any other issues at depth. I know that at 20" it will be outside of the capability of a stable reading for either however if i could get to say 14" consistently it would be helpful!

I was originally convinced myself i was going to go for the Detech ultimate but then have read so many quality issues / zero product support I'm concerned about buying one and regretting it, particular if second hand and also the shop i purchased the Etrac from no longer stock them because of reliability and favour the Coiltek (which i believe used to build the minelab coils before they took it in-house).

Please help if anyone can provide comments on both of these coils.

Cheers,

Cheers,

David & Beverley
--------------------------------------------
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Sovereign GT
2 x Garret Pro Pointer AT
Lots of really old OS Maps & Patience !!

clint

Re: Please help, new user wondering about upgrade to Coiltek or Detech

Post by clint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello
Firstly how long have you been using the stock coil and what do you think you are missing with it? I think if as you describe yourself as a new user you would do well sticking with the stock coil for a while especially as you say the land is low trash,and give it a real good hammering with as little descrim and as slow as possible..if it's not a definite (if there is such a thing) iron signal...DIG IT!
As for other coils. ...I have the detech 13 ultimate which I find very deep as well as sensitive. I also have the 8x6 which does a good job in the trash and amongst the stubble and weeds...

Regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

David&Beverley

Post by David&Beverley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks Clint for the response.

Sorry i meant a new user to the forums (first post) not to detecting or the Etrac.

Pretty confident with running the machine at its limits and have put a lot of time and effort into testing all aspects of the machine in the field and also a test bed!

I've found that on some digs i've found the target that the Etrac has picked up, which has been at say 10/11 inches however with the probe have then found silver with the Garrett on the side wall of the hole and further down if that makes sense by a few inches (i always dig down a little after retrieving the target and check to see anything else which has paid off. But I'm not getting twin offset targets or an expected blend on the scale so i know its missing it. I've also simulated this on the test bed at home.

On this particular permission it seems like things are settling down at the border of the clay line, which is Alluvium deposits deposited during the late quaternary and in Lancashire its particular dense so not much will sink though it. I feel like when this dips in the substrate I'm missing coin size objects in the 12 to 20" and perceive the larger coil from a physics perspective will give me better penetration over the stock - hard to assess as haven't used one hence why asking.

If the target is bouncing a lot and or iffy i tend never to trust the FE as have proven to myself so many times that if i'd have not dug FE 25 even 27 I've pulled up sixpences, shillings etc pre 1923 with the higher silver content. Appreciate that with depth, the soil conditions and other metal nearby the target all massively throw the readings. I tend to run by if in doubt - DIG! CO is a lot more stable however but again gets affected i find.

So yes in essence I'm hoping that the larger coil will give me that extra few inches of reach to hit the clay layer more consistently. All advice appreciated.

Thanks,

David

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:09 am

15 inch will be the better option IMHO.
Tried a fair few coils on the SE on similar kinds of site. If its a "clean site" then you are looking for positive signals (fairly obvious really!) and what I describe as "Iron Plus" signals.
Biggest difference for me is that I don`t run any discrim at all. Iron comes in with screeching "weeee" whereas high conductors have a seperate smoothness to the tone (and crosshairs on the opposite side of the SE screen).
"Iron Plus" signals are just that, its a "weeee" with a marpphhh in it !! :))
Get such a signal then either scuff a bit of soil away with your foot (ploughed) or take a spit out & re-scan. ::g

PS: Need headphones with volume control. Machine maxed out, then turn the phones down to stop your ears bleeding!!

clint

Post by clint » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Ha nice one David! Sounds like you are taming the etrac! Yeah as jc says I'd be tempted to try the coiltek. Another point worth noting is that some big silvers and coppers can show through iirc in a small window around 00:high forties. ..with a very high pitch. The top line sometimes shows ferrous wrap round where an iron signal bounces . I haven't been out for a while but got a few days free coming up so...fingers crossed!

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

David&Beverley

Post by David&Beverley » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks for the help, re earphones I've actually put an inline dial on the shaft so can control with my thumb which works excellently without having to replace the stock koss headphones, plus gives me greater lead length and the ability to disconnect earphones without having to keep unplugging from the actual machine socket preventing dust and rubbish getting in.

As for the coils still undecided - seems a tough one! Did want to go for the Detech but heard so many horror stories about faulty coils, don't know if this is still an issue with the new ones instock from the UK supplier?!

Thanks guys,
Cheers,

David & Beverley
--------------------------------------------
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Sovereign GT
2 x Garret Pro Pointer AT
Lots of really old OS Maps & Patience !!

clint

Post by clint » Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I got mine new from Crawfords probably 3 years ago and it's been totally fine. If you're bothered ring them for a chat..or who ever supplies them now...plus if you buy new you'll have a warranty anyway. Coiltek have a great reputation too. Then there's the Mars coils with coils they claim have better discrimination. .

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”