Got myself an Etrac .. steep learning curve

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
BAMBAM

Got myself an Etrac .. steep learning curve

Post by BAMBAM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Love my XP 250 and it has found me so much stuff but I fancied a change and the challenge of something different. Hence the purchase of the Etrac .. secondhand with stock coil plus two extra NEL coils for a tad over £500 so bargain me thinks.

Tried it for an hour on multi-tone conductive .. and certainly found it challenging but persevered and got a few coins and a pendant. Gonna try the ferrous mode next time with two or four tones.

May come looking for some tips guys,

Thanks in advance,

Brian

BAMBAM
East Yorkshire
Semper exspectare et ecce subito!
(Always expect the unexpected!)
Detectors: XP ADX 150 | Garrett Pro-pointer

Macroman

Re: Got myself an Etrac .. steep learning curve after XP 250.

Post by Macroman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm

May good fortune follow you Brian..yes the E-TRAC is a great machine,I once owned a Safari.. again a great machine...but got rid of it after only a short while...it's bloomin heavy..and I fear the E-TRAC is from the same stable !!...but perhaps it was because of my "old(er) age lol :D
Anyway,good hunting.. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes really nice tool, will take some learning but over time you will really get the best from it ::g
Best of luck
mrix

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Macroman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm
May good fortune follow you Brian..yes the E-TRAC is a great machine,I once owned a Safari.. again a great machine...but got rid of it after only a short while...it's bloomin heavy..and I fear the E-TRAC is from the same stable !!...but perhaps it was because of my "old(er) age lol :D
Anyway,good hunting.. ::g
thanks Macroman .. yes it is heavier but feels well balanced.

regards, Brian
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm

mrix wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 pm
Yes really nice tool, will take some learning but over time you will really get the best from it ::g
Best of luck
mrix
Thanks, I think that time is the key to mastering ant detector .. I am fluent in XP just need to learn the etrac language now.
All the best Brian
PS Will report my progress
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Welcome to the E-trac fraternity Brian.

Great price !

It's really not that difficult a machine to use, but it does have a decent number of variables to fine tune into any particular site or desired target. Unfortunately, like many of the Minelab manuals its instruction book is more 'full of it' than the cow pasture, and otherwise pretty awful in explaining their own marketing jargon. But I'm sure with your prior experience you'll be finding stuff very soon. If we can be of assistance - just ask.
Bfg ::g
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Bfg wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm
Welcome to the E-trac fraternity Brian.

Great price !

It's really not that difficult a machine to use, but it does have a decent number of variables to fine tune into any particular site or desired target. Unfortunately, like many of the Minelab manuals its instruction book is more 'full of it' than the cow pasture, and otherwise pretty awful in explaining their own marketing jargon. But I'm sure with your prior experience you'll be finding stuff very soon. If we can be of assistance - just ask.
Bfg ::g
Thanks bfg .. yes i a pretty savvy but that doesn't replace the knowledge and experience you guys have in the field.
All the best, Brian
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Brian, that is a bargain price for the E-Trac. I think the second hand prices of them have suffered from the Equinox effect so you are getting a top end machine on the cheap now.

I have had one for a couple of years now but have had to relegate it to backup machine due to advancing age and weakening muscles :-L

Hope you soon get your head around it and have some fantastic finds ::g

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks ray .. hope you are keeping well
All the best
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I would get Andy Sabisch`s E-trac book... worth its weight in gold in many ways. Describes what does what in laymans terms. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:49 am

Conversely.., I find Andy Sabisch`s E-trac book to be the most atrociously written authoritative handbook I have ever tried to read. ;;z

Andy Sabisch is an American author of metal detecting handbooks, and undoubtedly the man has a huge amount of experience in detecting. But in this book he foremost writes of the Explorer and SE models of metal detector - which used different terminology, scales (for the settings), and display. And then almost as post-scripts he back-refers to those to discuss the E-Trac ..which at the time of writing was a very new machine.

Personally I have no experience of those other machines ..and am not interested. Their differences just add to the confusion of trying to understand the E-Trac. ;;z

His favourite expressions are along the lines of “review the chapter on ..” or “the upcoming chapter covers this.” As an example, there is a one page discussion of 'Sensitivity' on page 25. Not until page 101 is it then further discussed, and then almost nothing of worth is added. I don’t want to search for information, I simply wanted a clear & concise (with continuity) rundown on how the E-Trac works, what its different settings do, and how to get the best out of it.

So, aside from it being written for American coin hunting, with paraphrased quotes from other users, of the older machines, & tid-bits from UK and other detectorist thrown-in to broaden the book’s market appeal (but lacking data of any real depth) - I found it particularly frustrating and confusing to read, with poor quality photographs. Had the author the discipline to condense it into half the number of pages then it might have been more coherent, and easier to look something up. ;;z

In truth, there are some useful explanations in it, and some tips which may or may not be applicable to your detecting, but they are few and far between and it's a challenge to find them.

At £20 - 25 for a used copy, I borrowed one and am glad I didn't waste my money. In short, as a newbie, never having metal detected before - there was more worth in it for me than there might be for you. Ten years ago it was the best information available, but today I couldn't recommend it as a book of much worth to someone of experience, unless they are moving across from an Explorer or SE to the E-Trac. ;;z

This is because I suspect anyone with good experience would soon cross-reference their mindset to Minelab's marketing terminology, and the best user / discrimination settings and tips for what you search for ..might more easily be picked up through UK forums.

That's just my opinion of course. =P~
All the best,
Bfg.
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

BAMBAM

Re: Got myself an Etrac .. steep learning curve

Post by BAMBAM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I think if it takes a book to understand a detector then there is a problem with the detector.
Brian
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”