Update Applied to MDF Software

MDF Notifications
sweepstick47

Re: Update Applied to MDF Software

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Fortunately, all is sweetness and light here! Thanks mrix ::g ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am

fred wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:14 pm
I have just tried to post a couple of pictures in the normal way.

I reduced the size down to below 500 pixels in each direction in windows 10 and then saved them to my computer. When I try to attach to my post they fail to load and the warning message claims that the files are too big and gives a much larger pixel measurement than my computer says. They look about the same size as normal on my PC so no point in reducing them to 100 x 100 pixels as you won't see them. Has anybody any idea what might have gone wrong please? ::g
I still seem to have this problem. I have tried downloading and editing the photos from the camera through another programme and that didn't work. I've deleted the caches and then deleted and reinstalled the forum in my favorites and that hasn't changed anything. I will have another go some other time but I am running out of ideas. I have been trying to post only on the beach forum but I will see if it works in another one.

While faffing about I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any way of editing drafts, all that I can do at the moment is look at them.

I have just tried to post in the Stories forum and have the same problem. I also tried to attach a photo that I know worked last time and it still says that it is too big.

I really think this might somehow be 'operative error' but I can't think of anything that I am doing differently than before.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am

Hi Fred, please send me any of the photos you are trying to attach that fail to my email at mrix@metaldetectingforum.co.uk and I will take a look at them and see any potential problem ::g
Thanks
mrix

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

Still having to log-on every verse end here... hey ho ... ho ho ho :)) :)) :)) :)) Only 50 days to go ::g ::g ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am
Still having to log-on every verse end here... hey ho ... ho ho ho :)) :)) :)) :)) Only 50 days to go ::g ::g ::g
Hi oldartefact, everyone else appears to be ok now...

1) Have you deleted the cookie cache from your Browser ?

2) Have you tried logging in an out a few times ?

3) Have you remembered to click the " Remember me " tick box on login ?

4) Make sure the link you are logging in from is https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk
and Not the old MDF link which loses the s starting http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk

Hope one of the above will help ::g

mrix

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:14 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am
fred wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:14 pm
I have just tried to post a couple of pictures in the normal way.

I reduced the size down to below 500 pixels in each direction in windows 10 and then saved them to my computer. When I try to attach to my post they fail to load and the warning message claims that the files are too big and gives a much larger pixel measurement than my computer says. They look about the same size as normal on my PC so no point in reducing them to 100 x 100 pixels as you won't see them. Has anybody any idea what might have gone wrong please? ::g
I still seem to have this problem. I have tried downloading and editing the photos from the camera through another programme and that didn't work. I've deleted the caches and then deleted and reinstalled the forum in my favorites and that hasn't changed anything. I will have another go some other time but I am running out of ideas. I have been trying to post only on the beach forum but I will see if it works in another one.

While faffing about I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any way of editing drafts, all that I can do at the moment is look at them.

I have just tried to post in the Stories forum and have the same problem. I also tried to attach a photo that I know worked last time and it still says that it is too big.

I really think this might somehow be 'operative error' but I can't think of anything that I am doing differently than before.
Hi Fred, these are the imaged you just sent through pm to me which appear totally fine dimension and file size wise, as you can see they have attached to this post with no problems...

When you attach them to the post are you using the MDF`s upload attachment feature ? simply click on the Attachments tab and then the button to add files ???? if you are look at the file size its showing just to the right of the file at the attachment stage..... The files my end are showing as only 40.53 Kib and the other is 56.89Kib.
If your sizes are bigger then you must be some how uploading the wrong images your end ?
Please let me know ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Same size files as mine but still won't load from my machine. Error message says they are too big. I've sent you a screenshot.

Regards

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

mrix wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm
oldartefact wrote:

4) Make sure the link you are logging in from is https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk
and Not the old MDF link which loses the s starting http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk

mrix
Many thanks for the very useful tips.. I will try the cookie cache, not sure what that is but will google it. I automatically get logged out at the end of every session (so it seems, so I guess that it would be a Yes to question 2, I always click remember me and I guess thats why its so frustrating ... I'll go try the cookie cache now. Also I just log on by clicking an icon on the front page of my machine, so I dont have any real way of influencing what the link is ... or seeing what it looks like.
I guess that I am from the generation that knows nothing and who is happy to remain that way.. I just click on the buttons and swear if they dont work.

edit ... googled how to delete the cookie cache ... and failed on step 1... havent a clue how to open Chrome. Hey Ho .... ho ho blooming ho ... as we say in Banking. Its a self fulfilling prophesy ... I believe that I wont be able to do a task ... and when I open the instructions ... feedback is that I cant do the task ... thats why when I receive technical advice I bury my head under a pillow and crack open another magnum of whisky l;.

these ate the instruction from the tinternet...

1. Open Chrome.
2. On your browser toolbar, tap More .
3. Tap History, then tap Clear browsing data.
4. Under "Clear browsing data", select the tickboxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files.
5. Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete.
Last edited by oldartefact on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm
mrix wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm
oldartefact wrote:

mrix
Many thanks for the very useful tips.. I will try the cookie cache, not sure what that is but will google it. I automatically get logged out at the end of every session (so it seems, so I guess that it would be a Yes to question 2, I always click remember me and I guess thats why its so frustrating ... I'll go try the cookie cache now.
Hello, sometimes the browsers cookie cache can get glitched / messed up when a website gets an update especially when and website url has changed like it has here at the MDF, removing the cache can quite often help ::g
One of the main issues here is that some members have still using old links within their favourites / bookmarks, you would need to check to see if your link which you connect to the MDF site from has been updated, basically if you connect with and old link you will keep getting logged out.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks Mrix... please can you see my edited reply above ... I guess that I am just useless at links and caches... it is just stuff I dont understand ... and I have been using computers since 1986 ... but technology whizzed by when I had my head down for 30 years programming the darn things...

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Mr oldy, try this
Look below my message at the bottom of the screen, you will see this row of words.
Click the delete board cookies.
Then just shut the page down, open a new one and log in if needed, this should then redirect you to the correct url and solve your problem.
Mines a baileys and ice!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Many many thanks BA ... even with your explicit instructions it took about 5 takes to spot the delete cookies thing.. but jobe done hopefully ...
its here .. and the ice is melting ::g ::g ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 am

Hi mrix, There is a mysterious issue with uploading some photos, as others have also found. Even when I reduced the size in MS Paint to just 10 x 7 pixels and 13 kb, the message said “The submitted image is 4320 pixels wide and 3240 pixels high.” Even after removing all possible properties from the image file it made no difference - I will email it to you.
As a test, I tried to attach another photo which was taken on the same camera and has previously uploaded and attached successfully, but does not now, saying it was invalid.
I could still attach another file of 600 x 900 pixels with no problems which was taken on a different device.
For your information they are all Jpeg but the problematic ones are at 180 dpi, and the other is at 72 dpi but that should really not be an issue.
Could the problem have anything to do with the EXIF data from certain cameras clashing with the sites software?
x; :-/
Deus V4.0, 11" coil, Carrot in silent mode. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 am

Slightly different uploading problem here. When attaching the image, the file appears in the 'attachments' box ok, along with the option to delete it. But the 'place inline' option isn't there, the 'image status (usually a green tick) is a yellow warning triangle, and previewing the post shows the image has not uploaded.

Seemingly no issues with file size - it just won't show up. Weird.
John

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 am

If you click on the warning triangle another box comes up, saying file size to big, image seems to retain original file size

Regards Steve

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for that, Steve. Idiot here just hovered the cursor over the triangle - didn't think to click it. Durr.

Anyway, for some reason the problem seems to be the site sofware seeing the original file size, not the reduced copy which I'm trying to upload. Other previously-uploaded pics attach ok so perhaps it's something I've done.

Edited to add: the claimed file size is always the same, no matter what size the image actually is - whether that be the original or the reduced copy
John

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

Hi all, very odd one this, I have been able to upload images which on another PC was not able to, it seems to vary from device to device :-/
I`ll be looking into this problem today.
Thanks all for the feedback ::g
mrix

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello all, it appears at the moment there could be some issue with how the software distinguishes the EFIX Data within the image file, apparently at the moment the software seems to use that data over the actual px size / file size.

A way to overcome it for the time being is a fix I found over at the main software site as below..

Open it in your favorite image editor (mostly thru CTRL+O), then either
A) copy it to the clipboard (the picture's 150x150px canvas, not the file - this means to most editors CTRL+A, then CTRL+C),

B) create a new file with the same dimensions (mostly CTRL+N),

C) paste your clipboard content (mostly CTRL+V),

D) save the file (mostly CTRL+S).

Or a much simpler way just save the file in a different format like (PNG, GIF, BMP...).

That way the metadata will not be copied

Hope this helps, As I say this is in place while hopefully a fix can be resolved ::g

Cheers all
mrix
p/s thanks to our member Ian X for contacting me with Feedback on this problem ::g

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Cheers, M. That bypass method worked ::g
John

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Login issues fixed, thanks mrix
Dave

Deus

Return to “Admin Notice”