Q40 and which beach?

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Resurgam

Q40 and which beach?

Post by Resurgam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

As a backup machine for my MineLab Safari, I have been getting satisfactory performances from my Quest Q40 on pasture and paddocks but have been far from satisfied by it's performance on the beach and in particular it's immense dislike of wet saline beach sand.

To be fair; I have almost given up hope of using the Q40 for my regular beach forays and have tended to persist with the heavy Safari. In an attempt to give the Q40 a fairer crack of the whip, I have decided to give it a full day's exercise on a North Wales beach tomorrow.

It is now just the question of which beach should I force the Q40 to show it's potential on? Talacre, Prestatyn, Rhyl, or Kinmel Bay? I'm sorely tempted to give Talacre a battering from dawn to dusk and see just how the machine performs on one or two areas where it's lightning recovery speed may prove to be quite an asset.

Do you suppose that the Quest engineers were solely thinking of the towel line when they named the designated beach mode "beach"? Perhaps, for us, the parasol should have been a clue!

Chris ::g

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

cantona1

Re: Q40 and which beach?

Post by cantona1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Afraid I can't help on this one, mines only been to the beach once, I'll give her another go soon though.

Davethepaint

Post by Davethepaint » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Chris have you decided which beach yet?

fred

Post by fred » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:29 pm

The Safari is a fine beach machine, why would you force yourself to suffer so? :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Dave,

it's going to be Talacre at the crack of dawn and I'm going to try and stick it out until teatime.

Hi Fred,

I agree with you that the Safari is a fine beach machine but I have been finding it's weight to be getting the better of me in recent years and anticipating the loss of my driving licence I opted to try a much lighter machine that would be easy to cart around on public transport. The Q40 is presently acting as a backup machine for the Safari and I wanted to see if it's light weight and lighting recovery speed could lend anything to one or two special areas that I have been working with a number of other machines.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Resurgam wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 pm
Hi Dave,

it's going to be Talacre at the crack of dawn and I'm going to try and stick it out until teatime.

Hi Fred,

I agree with you that the Safari is a fine beach machine but I have been finding it's weight to be getting the better of me in recent years and anticipating the loss of my driving licence I opted to try a much lighter machine that would be easy to cart around on public transport. The Q40 is presently acting as a backup machine for the Safari and I wanted to see if it's light weight and lighting recovery speed could lend anything to one or two special areas that I have been working with a number of other machines.

Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi guys, how did you care on the beach with the Q40? I've heard guys say not to use beach mode but jewellery mode with sensitivity turned down.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 am

Still struggling to give the Q40 a fair crack at one of my regular beaches but did give it an hour or two at Talacre. I was planning to swing it over Rhyl beach, west of the blue bridge, yesterday but at 73 years of age I found that the weather was far too hot for me to work out these old bones on the beach.

Planned trip to Llandudno on Monday and I was thinking of trying that beach for an hour or two, whilst the the Mrs and her cousin are dining with the Mothers Union. But if it turns out to be too hot for me to detect, I would hate to leave the Q40 in the car in this heat and don't fancy carrying it round Llandudno with me all day.

Just can't please us old swingers; too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy! rl;

Chris

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 am

Took the Q40 out for a couple of hours down the beach, not much found 2 5p's and a pound coin. Only went on the dry, pound coin come in as a solid 80, ring pulls etc the numbers jumped around more. Used in jewellery mode, tid 80.
Planet Thanet

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”