Son's first finds

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
samrrs

Son's first finds

Post by samrrs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am

Hi

My son got a metal detector for his 10th birthday and these are his first finds - I am sure they are nothing very exciting, but he's keen to know what they are if anyone can help.

Many thanks

Jess
_20180417_090854.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Junior

Re: Son's first finds

Post by Junior » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Looks like a belt strap end shape though its corroded so prob not ???? and a split pin used to hold bits say on a tractor etc. Is the strap end shape thing different on the other side
Last edited by Junior on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am

The smaller item looks like a rusted split pin. Don't know about the bigger item, sorry. But well done all the same to your son for finding them and good luck in future hunts.

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

The one on the right looks like a split pin the one on the left has the profile of a "straight peen hammer" which is used for many things including but not exclusively blacksmithing.

However it would help to have a side profile picture of it so that thickness could be assessed and if a ruler could be added size could help the experts on here really narrow down what it is. The split pin comes in many sizes so that can't give them much of a clue really.

I hope there will be lots more pictures of things found too.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 am

Hello Jess and welcome aboard the forum ::g Glad to see your son has interest in this hobby.
We have all been there holding our first finds (back in pre-history for me)! wondering and speculating as to their intended use. I can clearly see he has a 'Split pin' on the right and the iron item to it's left would seem to be a section of the ubiquitous rusty iron that we are all more than accustomed to.

Although it has an interesting shape, it's not possible to give a positive identification but it's likely to be a broken section from a larger item. :( The search though, must go on with no let-up until the just rewards of a coin are removed from the dug hole ::g It's always good to see youngsters joining the forum, as you will know, it is a friendly forum eminently suitable for all the family and we do strive to keep it so.

It's true to say there is much to learn in the subject of metal detecting (and not just for the youngsters)! Happily, there is so much knowledge and help here on the forum via the sub-forums to the left of this page (in the blue panel) making the learning curve both quicker and more enjoyable.

If you haven't already found this excellent Guide to the forum, here's a link to it.

app.php/mdf-help-guide

In the meantime, enjoy your time with us on the forum and keep us informed of any interesting finds made by your son ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

samrrs

Post by samrrs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 am

Thank you so much for your kind replies! I will show Sam when he's back from school.

Yes, he is determined to find treasure! :) but he was thrilled to find anything at all on his first trip out.

It was great to come across this friendly and helpful forum, I will post any other finds of his! Hopefully not more nails!!! :D :D :D

Jess

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am

samrrs wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 am
Thank you so much for your kind replies! I will show Sam when he's back from school.

Yes, he is determined to find treasure! :) but he was thrilled to find anything at all on his first trip out.

It was great to come across this friendly and helpful forum, I will post any other finds of his! Hopefully not more nails!!! :D :D :D

Jess
Hello Jess, Determined, that's got to produce results! I should also add that don't be too surprised if he takes a future interest in local history and asking Dad an inordinate amount of history related questions. :-O

Better swat-up Dad!! :D All the best - Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am

samrrs wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 am
.... Hopefully not more nails!!! :D :D :D

Jess
..... nails are good Jess. They don't seem to excite many granted ... but they do tell some of the story and are roughly datable. I'd imagine he's digging in the garden first off ... so coins, buttons, nails, clips buckles the lot will help him and along the way us to all learn. ::g
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 am

Nice post - good luck to your son ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Good on him silver sixpence next up.

good luck
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

Rah7265

Post by Rah7265 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Well done to your son.
My 9 year old started detecting last Easter, the good thing about being that age is everything they finds is old to them and interesting in some way, my son has a collection of old bottle tops.
However I must warn you detecting is addictive it wasn’t long before I had my own metal detector and now spend as much time as possible out in the field.
Good luck to him, I hope he continues to find things that interest him and fingers crossed something of value.

BigMac_13

Post by BigMac_13 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Tip of a sword, probably not but it will keep your kid engrossed ! Other one is a split pin. My son got a detector for his birthday too, loves it. A great way to get them off the x boxes

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi Jess,
a strategically placed old penny here and there will help to keep his interest as well - you can pick them up cheap as chips. ::g

As previously said, it's addictive, place your machine order now... follow the MDF Shop link on the LH side of the screen. :D
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. Garrett Ace 250.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”