Bournemouth to Boscombe with the Quest Q40

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
cussler

Bournemouth to Boscombe with the Quest Q40

Post by cussler » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi when to Bournemouth for a few days took the Quest Q40 with me ,on the second day went on a
detecting walk from Bournemouth Pier to Boscombe Pier about three miles as the crow flys. Quest was very happy on the beach set in jewellery mode and grown balanced ,only thing altered was sensitivity turned down to 75 ,just goes to show its the beach your on, Bridlington beach is very chirpy until sensitivity turned down to 60, Scarborough beach sensitivity 56, Hornsea beach its not usable even down at 30 mind you I used to have a PI and at Hornsea it was very unhappy, to much silica black sand there. Anyway back to the walk a lot of finds near Bournemouth Pier as you walked away less and less as you would expect,but as you neared Boscombe Pier started getting more finds. Got very good at judging bottle tops, first a nice quite high pitched single followed a slit second later with a burping sound Not a bad day £8.86 in spending money,a two euro,a Mexican one dollar,a ladies silver toe ring (I think) and a small 9ct gold locket ,yes the Quest Q40 more than holds its own on the beach,but don't take it to Hornsea.

Best Cussler

One day Rodders

Quest Q40
XP Adventis 2

cantona1

Re: Bournemouth to Boscombe with the Quest Q40

Post by cantona1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Good going, well done ::g

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Well done, I've just started my summer campaign on the beaches. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Good haul there Stewart .. nice to get a bit of silver and gold amongst the modern.

You seem to be mastering that quest very well.

Brian
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire
Semper exspectare et ecce subito!
(Always expect the unexpected!)
Detectors: XP ADX 250 | Garrett Pro-pointer

Grott

Post by Grott » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Nice one Stewart you can buy me an icecream next time we go to Bridlington out of your finds.

JBM

Post by JBM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Keep on going like that and you will soon have it payed for. x;

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Nice haul for a couple of hours and a good walk; not to mention all the digging. Like you and others, I have also discovered that the beach mode on the Quest Q40 is pants and one has to switch to jewelry mode, turning down the sensitivity to suit the particular beach that one is detecting.

It has been suggested to me that turning down the ground balance in manual may also assist in stabilizing the Q40's responses to wet saline beach sand. But why do you suppose that it is that the beach mode, with it's 'strong saltwater immunity. 20-99' just can't hack it on wet sand?

Have you noticed that the machine's ability varies with the degree of wetness of the sand being worked. ie... just after high tide, when the sand is more saturated, or several hours later when the sand is better drained?

On Thursday I was able to work dry sand and dry shingle for several hours with my Q40 set at 99 sensitivity, auto ground balanced, frequency shifted slightly to avoid conflict with my ProPointer, and the machine was as stable as one could wish for, producing little or no noise problems at all.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 am

Very well detected Stuart...great efforts well rewarded.!!good hunting.. ::g

peteh

Post by peteh » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 am

Thinking of upgrading from a T2 to one of these due to it having a beach mode, but reading about them the beach mode is not that good. Is this something a software update could fix by the manufacturer?
T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Manufacturer and suppliers are very coy at providing any real answer to queries over the poor performance of the 'beach' mode on the Quest Q40 . The best advice to date is to switch to jewelry mode and lower the sensitivity setting to around 70-60 and truly that does help but my argument is that ............... if the handbook states that the Q40 in 'beach' mode has 'strong saltwater immunity', then we should expect the machine to perform reasonably well on wet saline beach sand whilst in beach mode.

For the time being I will persist with trying to get the best out of my Q40 whilst beach detecting, on both dry and wet sand, and follow up on some advice that I have received from the UK supplier. It has been suggested to me that putting the ground balance in manual and lowering the setting down may provide some improvement on wet sand. I find that the machine is well designed, pleasing on eye, and I 'presently' can't fault it on dry sand and pasture. I did, whilst detecting a paddock, reap in forty coins that I had missed with my Safari but I do think that it was probably down to gaps in my walking sweep pattern with the Safari.

I made the jest that perhaps my Q40 hadn't been immunized before leaving the factory and that is why my machine isn't showing strong saltwater immunity whilst in 'beach' mode. Perhaps your point about reprogramming may be very valid! As you can see from Stuart's initial post, the Q40 is capable of finding stuff on wet sand, providing that you switch from beach mode to jewelry and turn down the sensitivity.

I will be out on the beach first thing tomorrow and will follow up on as many suggestions and ideas that I have so far gathered in. I also trust that Stuart will be patient with me and we can (together) seek to improve the performance of the Q40 in beach mode.

peteh

Post by peteh » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:58 pm

excellent information Chris ::g

Shame about Hornsea not too far away from me. But again good information about how the location affects performance. Guess it is easy to blame the new equipment when it is actually the ground that is causing the issue
T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Or perhaps even the detectorist! ::g :D

A bad workman and all that! rl;

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi,
firstly hope you had a good holiday in Bournemouth.
Live on the edge of the town, so lucky to have miles of beach as a fallback.
Did you just detect along wet sand or a combination of wet and dry, as I would say half of your coins look like recent losses. Most of the coins I have recently dug have been in the sand for years. Surprisingly had a 1951 sixpence out of dry sand up near Sandbanks last week.
Overseas coins are not that unusual, due to the amount of Language schools in the town.
2 Euros is nearly 2 pound, handy for anyone going abroad.
Not actually detected your walk between the piers as there is so much rubbish around Bournemouth pier, your signal for the bottle tops is the same as for ring pulls with the 400i.
Good report for other Q40 users, regarding sensitivity readings.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Nice haul there cussler you seem to be getting the best out of your machine.

Interesting your mention of Hornsea beach as that is where my early forays into beach detecting started back in 1990 as my parents lived only a couple of miles away. In those days I got loads of cash off that beach but after the new sea wall and rocks for the southern sea defenses were put in place the number of people on the beach seemed to decrease and I have not detected on there for many many years now.

The secret to my success was that I was using dedicated beach machines that handled the conditions there very well. My first beach machine was the Garrett AT4 which is the one I am using in my avatar, it is a very old photo of me. After that I had a Whites Surfmaster II ( a vlf machine and not the Surfmaster Pulse ) I used the Surfmaster II for many year on that beach. I had the Surfmaster Pulse as well but at Hornsea the amount of iron was to much for it.

I get very dismayed at manufacturers who sell single frequency machines with a 'Beach Mode' and people buy them thinking the will work on any beach. As cusller has demonstrated all beaches are different and what will work easily on one beach will be a real pig to use on a beach only a few miles away unless you have the experience to figure out the changes in setup you meed to make.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

cussler

Post by cussler » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Resurgam wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Manufacturer and suppliers are very coy at providing any real answer to queries over the poor performance of the 'beach' mode on the Quest Q40 . The best advice to date is to switch to jewelry mode and lower the sensitivity setting to around 70-60 and truly that does help but my argument is that ............... if the handbook states that the Q40 in 'beach' mode has 'strong saltwater immunity', then we should expect the machine to perform reasonably well on wet saline beach sand whilst in beach mode.

For the time being I will persist with trying to get the best out of my Q40 whilst beach detecting, on both dry and wet sand, and follow up on some advice that I have received from the UK supplier. It has been suggested to me that putting the ground balance in manual and lowering the setting down may provide some improvement on wet sand. I find that the machine is well designed, pleasing on eye, and I 'presently' can't fault it on dry sand and pasture. I did, whilst detecting a paddock, reap in forty coins that I had missed with my Safari but I do think that it was probably down to gaps in my walking sweep pattern with the Safari.

I made the jest that perhaps my Q40 hadn't been immunized before leaving the factory and that is why my machine isn't showing strong saltwater immunity whilst in 'beach' mode. Perhaps your point about reprogramming may be very valid! As you can see from Stuart's initial post, the Q40 is capable of finding stuff on wet sand, providing that you switch from beach mode to jewelry and turn down the sensitivity.

I will be out on the beach first thing tomorrow and will follow up on as many suggestions and ideas that I have so far gathered in. I also trust that Stuart will be patient with me and we can (together) seek to improve the performance of the Q40 in beach mode.

BEACH MODE normal sensitivity, low recover speed, strong saltwater immunity. 20~99 well that's what the manual says but engineers at Quest have probably not even been or heard of a British beach with black sand. Black sand beaches are difficult to work because they consist of both positive (magnetic) and negative (conductive) mineralisation, so a VLF detector would need two opposing forms of ground balance to work simultaneously, so they did a fudge and that's what we got.
The Quest Q40 is what it is, a very good light weight detector at a price and performance that puts many to shame ,yes the beach mode is not to good but there are ways around it . I think Ray got it spot on when he says”get very dismayed at manufacturers who sell single frequency machines with a 'Beach Mode' and people buy them thinking the will work on any beach “ .What about all the Quest 40 users posting the settings used on the beaches they visit on the forum in the Quest section for all to use I do not think it will be too long before before we have a good database built up for beach detecting with the Quest

Best Cussler
One day Rodders

Quest Q40
XP Adventis 2

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Good haul there Cussler,looks like your Q40 kept you busy on your mission from pier to pier,
Hope you got the ice creams in at the end !!!! Lol
I have only had 1 really brief beach visit with my Q40 since they hit the market last sept & there wasn't much info/settings online about the Q40 on beaches so not being use to the Q40 I gave up,
Now with more & more of you guy's + gal's hitting the beaches with the Quest and posting your settings in the Quest forum,
I'm off on my annual break to the North Norfolk coast on 25th june ,armed with all your info & my trusty Q40 I plan to hit the beach 6am every day,I will post any finds & settings daily,
I think I've kinda mastered Q40 inland.....so I'll play in the sand for a few day's
Thanks guys
::g ::g ::g
Year 1
Quest 40
Raptor coil
Makro pinpointer
Black Ada Spartan stainless spade
FID Member

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm

What about all the Quest 40 users posting the settings used on the beaches they visit on the forum in the Quest section for all to use I do not think it will be too long before before we have a good database built up for beach detecting with the Quest

Best Cussler
[/quote]

A superb idea. ::g

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 am

I had very limited success on our local beaches with the Q40. Lots of falsing chatter phantom hits. And that was in jewellery mode. I strongly believe that beach mode doesn't work and is just a selling point to appeal to a wider audience. I also believe that you don't know whether a detector is gonna work for you on your beach unless you can try one. I wanted something to compare with so bought Sea hunter too. That's a monster. Lots of hits and the tiniest of iron shards 18" down. Think I'll use the Q40 more when I get permissions as this is where I think it will show is true abililty. To sum up, I don't think a q40 should be thought of as a choice for beach work. Too many others better at it now.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:32 am

Any beach program is just a variation of the settings that you normally use. A standard beach program would not know the amount of mineralization on your particular beach so is not set optimally.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”