Q40 Beach drought

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Devon steve

Q40 Beach drought

Post by Devon steve » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Third or fourth visit to the beach today but not much luck. Jewellery mode worked on dry sand but not many hits. Nothing seemed to work well on the wet flat, even all metal was falsing everywhere. All metal was better on dry but even with an average signal dug nothing. Been bad and bought a sea hunter mark 2 to try on the beach. Gonna use the Q40 more when I get a permission πŸ‘ oh I did find a shiny quid but a saw that glinting lol

Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

sweepstick47

Re: Q40 Beach drought

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm

To add insult to injury, I'm guessing the Β£1 was the 'old' round one 8-| ...hope not ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 pm

hello, this is an induction machine so it should be ok for dry and wet sand, made for for beaches rather than land, there are u tube videos that may help you with the settings, the sea hunter is a good machine as many in the USA rate them, good luck

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Oh lucky you.

We had a big day out on Sunday and took the Q40 to Ainsdale sands for a blast. Our seven year old grandson had pleaded to do some detecting with granddad so threw in the Q40 with all the beach gear; including grandson, granddaughter, wife, finds bag, beach trowels, Propointer, and wife. Oh, already said wife, didn't I?

Arrived to find that I had packed the giant parasol, balance weight, beach towels, and pick-nick; only to find that the spade was sitting idly back at home in the hall. No matter, we could get by with the garden trowel. Gave the grandson a new finds bag and put him in charge of the Propointer.
Several swings into the session and a couple of scrappy targets and grandson disappeared into the dunes to play tag.............along with me Propointer!

With the wife being disabled and not able to chase after the kids I packed the detecting stuff away and joined the children in the dunes. Scaling the highest dune after them I was greeted 'come on granddad, why are you so slow?? Yes granddad, you are slow!

Finally made it to the crest of the dune, just in time to see them both run screaming back down! Spent the rest of the day chasing round the sands after an energetic five year old and her seven year old brother.

The Q40 has been behaving it's self somewhat better on the beach of late but on Sunday it didn't even get a chance to prove it's metal. Pardon the pun!

Maybe next time! rl;
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

sweepstick47 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm
To add insult to injury, I'm guessing the Β£1 was the 'old' round one 8-| ...hope not ::g Regards ss47
No mate actually a new one like really new. Probably dropped 10 mins before I got there lol.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:51 am

garrettoldboy wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 pm
hello, this is an induction machine so it should be ok for dry and wet sand, made for for beaches rather than land, there are u tube videos that may help you with the settings, the sea hunter is a good machine as many in the USA rate them, good luck
You thinking of the right machine bud? These are VLF as far as I'm aware? Not pulse induction? That's why they dint excel on the beach?

Confused. Com

Update. Oh you mean the sea hunter? Yeah I researched it and bought it because it was pi and best for the beach πŸ‘
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:56 am

Resurgam wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Oh lucky you.

We had a big day out on Sunday and took the Q40 to Ainsdale sands for a blast. Our seven year old grandson had pleaded to do some detecting with granddad so threw in the Q40 with all the beach gear; including grandson, granddaughter, wife, finds bag, beach trowels, Propointer, and wife. Oh, already said wife, didn't I?

Arrived to find that I had packed the giant parasol, balance weight, beach towels, and pick-nick; only to find that the spade was sitting idly back at home in the hall. No matter, we could get by with the garden trowel. Gave the grandson a new finds bag and put him in charge of the Propointer.
Several swings into the session and a couple of scrappy targets and grandson disappeared into the dunes to play tag.............along with me Propointer!

With the wife being disabled and not able to chase after the kids I packed the detecting stuff away and joined the children in the dunes. Scaling the highest dune after them I was greeted 'come on granddad, why are you so slow?? Yes granddad, you are slow!

Finally made it to the crest of the dune, just in time to see them both run screaming back down! Spent the rest of the day chasing round the sands after an energetic five year old and her seven year old brother.

The Q40 has been behaving it's self somewhat better on the beach of late but on Sunday it didn't even get a chance to prove it's metal. Pardon the pun!

Maybe next time! rl;
Ha ha love this. I'm a new grandad of two birds in quick succession so got that to come very soonπŸ˜‚
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am

Devon steve wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:51 am
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 pm
You thinking of the right machine bud? These are VLF as far as I'm aware? Not pulse induction? That's why they dint excel on the beach?

Confused. Com

Update. Oh you mean the sea hunter? Yeah I researched it and bought it because it was pi and best for the beach πŸ‘
hello, the Quest Q40 specifications are put at 13 Khz Induction Balance Detector, the Quest Q 20 is a 9 Khz VLF machine, there is quite a difference between a PI and VLF coils and controls for detecting,

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes but the Q40 isn't a pulse induction machine
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Cheap spade

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 am

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:57 pm
hello, so what is the difference between the Quest 40 induction balance system to a pulse induction detector ?

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:13 am

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 am
hello, so what is the difference between the Quest 40 induction balance system to a pulse induction detector ?
induction balance system https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/g ... ector2.htm

pulse induction detector https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/g ... ector4.htm

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am

Machinist wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:13 am

Ray
hello, thanks ray, never to old to learn something new, i shall be reading up on the induction balance and compare with pulse induction, cheers

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:26 am

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am
Machinist wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:13 am

Ray
hello, thanks ray, never to old to learn something new yet both these machines are VLF if i am not mistaken yet the 40 is classified as induction balance,

Return to β€œQuest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”