West o the blue bridge

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Resurgam

West o the blue bridge

Post by Resurgam » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm

A short while ago I put in a session west of the blue bridge at Rhyl and thought I had captured a sliver from a badly clipped hammy. The piece came out of heavy, dry, shingle and was as clean as a whistle. I initially accounted it as being a bit of aluminium can but on closer inspection at home could see that it was patterned on both sides.
Sliver.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Resurgam

Re: West o the blue bridge

Post by Resurgam » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Some of the other bits.
West o the blue bridge.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:09 am

bit o scrap.JPG

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:14 am

Looks better and almost floral to the naked eye but with an sg of aproximately 7 it probably just a flake of zink or tin! rl;

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 pm

I nearly missed this post Chris. Things have moved along very fast today.
I like your goat. Some very different finds for you. Quite refreshing after all those shells. Weather was a bit kinder today as well but a bit warmer tomorrow they say.
It amazes me how the aluminium cans get broken and form into tiny little bits. Talking of that I had an odd one the other day. Got a signal, dug out a couple of spadefuls but could find anything, no. Found in the end. A small bit of aluminium hiding inside a cockle shell. Thought I was going nuts.
Nice to see your different finds. What Geoff used to call ‘an eclectic mix’ wonder what happen to him ? I really miss him, not much he couldn’t help us with.
Well I’ll look forward to you’re next outings finds. Thanks for posting.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am

Aluminium was all the rage in the 30's as it was considered a new metal and was expensive. In France they switched a lot of their coins to aluminium at this time. Light, didn't tarnish, etc seemed like a good idea. I dig quite a lot of them and often they come up clean. I also find quite a lot of medallions and so forth which very probably dates from the same era.
Now I have not done any research on whether other countries used aluminium for coins. However I expect medallions and small decorative pieces of similar ilk were made pretty much everywhere in the period straddling WW2.
I would often find similar pieces on French beaches and it took me a while to realise they were worn aluminium coins. I don't recognise your particular one as being the same coin but the pattern of wear is consistent.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 pm

On the beache west of the blue bridge at Rhyl, Kinmel Bay, and further west, I find quite a lot of aluminium that looks as though it has melted and run before cooling. Some say that the aluminium is probably from drinks cans thrown into beach fires but based on the appearnace and size of some of the stuff I would susspect that it may have come from crashed WWII aircraft, or possibly ship wrecks that burned before they went down.

Aparantly, during Napolionic times, aluminium was more valuable than gold and Napolian had jewelary and cutlery made from the stuff. Also, the Roman Catholic community had many religeous medallions made from aluminium during the fifties, sixties, and seventies.

Perhaps I should show my aluminium finds much consideration and contemplate what clues they may be revealing to me. I always liken beaches to a threedimentional jigsaw puzzles that time, tide, and storm has shaken and stired.

Chris ::g

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”