Beach Problem with seaweed !

All topics related to Makro / Nokta metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
Julius

Beach Problem with seaweed !

Post by Julius » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi all, i would like to hear if someone else have a problem when walking on beaches where there is a lot of seaweed, i get false signals all over.
I cant seem to find the right solution on my Makro Kruzer.

Thank you ;;)

Julius

IWmunt

Re: Beach Problem with seaweed !

Post by IWmunt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Yep me too, I think it's the mineral content. I just avoid the weedy bits now, if I dig and there is some deep down I just fill it and move on.

Julius

Post by Julius » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 pm

yep i do the same....but maybe there is some way to get rid of the mineral false signals :D

But thanks for answering, so i can see that im not alone ;) :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 pm

You could always try ground balancing over the area affected by seaweed and then re-balance when you move back onto the clear beach. It can improve matters but to be honest such areas are best avoided in my opinion.

Having said that, I have a long term beach detecting pal, who tells me that the huge 'clumps' of seaweed washed up during the winter storms deserve special attention, as he has found rings and jewellery items tangled up in it. His theory being, that the seaweed picks-up the items as it is dragged along the sea bed by the on-shore heavy seas. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am

I am on the side of the avoid seaweed group. Many of the signals you get are not false but small bits of aluminium, ring pulls and foil which get caught up in the seaweed as they are light and get swept about by the tide.

SS47, your pal is welcome to it. :D

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Julius

Post by Julius » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you for the Input :)

I have not yet decided if i will avoid it or not, i will let my intuition help me, next time im walking near the seaweed :)

Julius

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Machinist wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am
I am on the side of the avoid seaweed group. Many of the signals you get are not false but small bits of aluminium, ring pulls and foil which get caught up in the seaweed as they are light and get swept about by the tide.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I have to say that beach detecting in general is not really my bag, more a case of when needs must ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

slipper

Post by slipper » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Machinist wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am

Ray
I too find that small and light items like ring pull bits get caught in the seaweed, but I still search it; not too many clumps where I am, but I have found the odd coin too.
Red Racer

Return to “Nokta Makro Forum”