Commonwealth Penny + artefact for ID for please

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Giz

Commonwealth Penny + artefact for ID for please

Post by Giz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

The field to the back of my house had its pea crop harvested last night. Ground like granite as you would expect. Not lots of finds, however I would like your thoughts on the artefact please. The hammered is a Commonwealth penny. Also a William 1111 farthing, George V farthing and a Victorian halfpenny. Used the Deus with the following settings:

Deus fast slightly modified by reducing:
Discrimination to 1, Full tones
Sensitivity 90, TX power 2
Frequency 12
Reactivity 3, Silencer -1
GB = Tracking
11 inch coil
Version 3,2
Ta for looking ::g

CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

CTX_Phil

Re: Commonwealth Penny + artefact for ID for please

Post by CTX_Phil » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Sheet metal mount or fitting of some sort, I'd guess medieval from design / construction.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 am

I would guess some decoration of a horse harness.... :D

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 am

Nice finds again. Here’s a bit of info on the pierced commonwealth, you may already know it and seen it, but incase you haven’t it’s an interesting read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 hammies. = 109 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 am
Nice finds again. Here’s a bit of info on the pierced commonwealth, you may already know it and seen it, but incase you haven’t it’s an interesting read.
Thanks for the information, no I didn't know that. ::g Were all coins struck the same way round, as mine like the one in your link shows the piercing of the coin with 2 shields ::g , however the piercing in the photo with 1 shield is not in the same position as the one in your link ;;z , blimey hope that makes sense :D
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Think I follow, but I’m hard of understanding at the best of times. Do you mean are they pierced from reverse or obverse every time?
If so I think it’s normally just centrally from either side.
Here’s my one as an example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 hammies. = 109 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 pm

I read about that difference not long ago re.another coin. Mr.A would probably explain it better but my understanding of it was, there two strike modes. Coin, which had both sides the same way, turn it sideways and everything was the same way up.
Then there ways Medallion, which had one side up (the head) and one side down. Struck that way because medallion hung on ribbons so if you wanted to see the back side of the medal, you’d lift it.
Seems the mints were a bit lazy and did bother changing the die when they changed from one to another.
Make sense ? Hope so ::g

Slight correction. They changed the die but couldn’t be bothered to change the bits on the machine.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 pm
I read about that difference not long ago re.another coin. Mr.A would probably explain it better but my understanding of it was, there two strike modes. Coin, which had both sides the same way, turn it sideways and everything was the same way up.
Then there ways Medallion, which had one side up (the head) and one side down. Struck that way because medallion hung on ribbons so if you wanted to see the back side of the medal, you’d lift it.
Seems the mints were a bit lazy and did bother changing the die when they changed from one to another.
Make sense ? Hope so ::g

Slight correction. They changed the die but couldn’t be bothered to change the bits on the machine.
Yep, makes sense to me, mine shows the shields on both sides the same way up. ::g

Return to “Identification of Finds”