to buy a GMP or not?

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
shaggybfc

to buy a GMP or not?

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 am

Hi GMP users.
I've been using a Garrett Ace 250 for a while now and thinking of upgrading as I feel I'm missing deeper items. The Garrett is great if the finds are 5" - 6" deep, but I rarely find anything much deeper. (I do know it could be because there is nothing buried any deeper and the drier conditions means less detecting depth)
so 3 questions really.

1) I've seen a used GMP on sale for £325 - with the 9" coil- condition described as good. I understand the risks of buying a used machine, but this is from a reputable outlet - would this be value for money, or is it too cheap?

For those converted from other machines (especially those from a Garrett);
2) What sort of depth could I expect - generally speaking, compared to the Garrett (standard coil)?

3) How hard will it be to convert from the Garrett to the GMP - I'm expecting to have to dig everything to begin with and watch every youtube video out there. Should it be easy enough to understand / use?

Thanks for any advice
Andi

Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

garrettoldboy

Re: to buy a GMP or not?

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 am

hello, is that the V4 version,

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 am
Hi Garretoldboy, it doesn't say in the ad - so I expect it's a V3? Is there any way of seeing the different without having the machine in hand?
Andi
Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 am

Well u need to open it to see which CHIP is inside...........but some peeps prefer the V3 and other the v4...............V4 as a slightly enhanced audio

325 is okay price I saw some going for around 260/280

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am

Hello. What puts more finds in your pouch with the GMP is not extra depth. (Though it does very well it isn't the deepest but then neither is the Deus)
What does it is its superb recovery speed. Most targets are lost because they are masked by unwanted ones. The time it takes for machines to recover from a signal means they miss things. The GMP is still arguably the best at recovering. The fact it has no screen (which are...even on the best machines...not to be relied on anyway) is a big factor in keeping it nimble.

If this is the machine with Kevin then its a good buy because you do get the benefit of peace of mind which is worth a lot. You can pick them up cheaper on Fleabay of course but you take a risk. Because you are not familiar with the machine it would take a while for you to know if any problems were with the machine or just down to you being a rookie with it.

The best video on Youtube is the one featuring the late John Lynn (Norfolk Wolf) and explaining the tones and set-up. It is really just a question of learning the noises and then its a dream....for heaven's sake don't just shove it in Auto because you won't get that learning curve and you will miss a lot of stuff.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:53 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
it is 18 Khz while you ace is 7.2, so you need to understand what difference Khz frequencies have on different metals and detecting at different depths, a sound only machine, so you need decent head phones, there is a big difference between the 2 detectors but master the GMP i do not think you will be disappointed, another one to consider is the minelab sovereign elite with FBS technology

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am

shaggybfc wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 am
garrettoldboy wrote:
Hi Garretoldboy, it doesn't say in the ad - so I expect it's a V3? Is there any way of seeing the different without having the machine in hand?
Andi
hello, i do not think you need to worry at this stage if V3/4 and as littleboot mentioned if buying from staffs keven is a good trader, i have had dealings with him for many years,

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am

Put another £100 to it and get a dues lite s/h ::g I had one on v4 and never dug so much iron in my life , I couldn't tell the tones apart....kept it for 3 month and got red of it and got what I should have in the first place ...plus ud have the choice of """" 4 frequencies (4kHz ; 8kHz ; 12kHz ; 18kHz) + shift plus/minus
Power and Recovery adjustable (2 or 3 times faster/slower than the Gold Maxx Power """"" off xp site ... supposedly....
Last edited by Junior on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am

Hi
One thing I would say is -good headphones
My GMP speaker sounds like a mouse in a sock.
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am

I started about a year ago with an Ace 250. Very good starter machine and couldn't fault it. As I got hooked on the hobby and got a few permissions it was time to upgrade. After a lot of research i went for the Deus light. It weighs almost nothing and has the GMP programme, which I use nearly all of the time. Great machine. There is a youtube video comparing the Deus and GMP. Good luck.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am

I have used the GMp 4 with the Deus styled stem for the last 6 yrs. Personally, I would see if you can find one of those. The earlier version will still do the business but it's just a matter of preference in my case as the GMP4 with the Deus stem, packs away very neatly for transporting. It also has the built-in circuitry for using XP's cordless headphones together with a couple of other features not found on he earlier model.

Don't get too hung up about 'depth', the important consideration is a good level of sensitivity to tiny non-ferrous targets, it's here that the GMP4 excels. I suppose you could expect to find one for around half the price of a new one as many user's opted for the Deus as a replacement (and some have regretted not keeping it as a 'back-up' machine! Good Luck ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am

I can't fathom how anybody using a GMP properly couldn't 'tell the tones apart' and how you came to be digging a lot of iron. Sorry Junior, If you were doing this then I am afraid it is very much down to you the user and not the machine itself.
It is a machine that requires a bit of patience to master and doesn't come pre-set up. :D But it isn't difficult. There is a reason the GMP is still sold despite the advent of the Deus Lite .............................Its about the driver experience. I could buy a car which more or less drove and parked itself. But I find having some proper imput much more rewarding.

A word of caution about the 'GMP program' on the Lite. It is not the same as having a proper GMP. At all.
Last edited by littleboot on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacza

Post by Jacza » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am

There are two things you can do to increase your depth with your Garrett 250 in good ground condition: use a bigger coil (e.g. 12x13" NEL Tornado) and go with maximum sensitivity. With these two things I got 50% more depth on average for my Fisher F11 (default sensitity was 80%, but 100% was also stable). The disadvantage of the bigger coil was more weight. Higher frequency machines like GMP have more depth on small coins but loose depth on bigger artefacts.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 am

littleboot wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am
Hello. What puts more finds in your pouch with the GMP is not extra depth. (Though it does very well it isn't the deepest but then neither is the Deus)
What does it is its superb recovery speed. Most targets are lost because they are masked by unwanted ones. The time it takes for machines to recover from a signal means they miss things. The GMP is still arguably the best at recovering. The fact it has no screen (which are...even on the best machines...not to be relied on anyway) is a big factor in keeping it nimble.

If this is the machine with Kevin then its a good buy because you do get the benefit of peace of mind which is worth a lot. You can pick them up cheaper on Fleabay of course but you take a risk. Because you are not familiar with the machine it would take a while for you to know if any problems were with the machine or just down to you being a rookie with it.

The best video on Youtube is the one featuring the late John Lynn (Norfolk Wolf) and explaining the tones and set-up. It is really just a question of learning the noises and then its a dream....for heaven's sake don't just shove it in Auto because you won't get that learning curve and you will miss a lot of stuff.
Thanks Littleboot. I'm risk averse when it comes to parting with cash :)) Yes, It's the machine with Kevin, so playing safe. I was also looking at the GM5+SE he has.
Most of my permissions are pasture and have been for 50+ years, so any finds are likely to be deep, but also likely to be masked by the modern junk lurking down there, so I'd expect the GMP would be good for that.
I've already been watching several of the Regton videos - reminds me of the old Open University material ::g ::g
Andi
Garrett Ace 250.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 am

littleboot wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am
I can't fathom how anybody using a GMP properly couldn't 'tell the tones apart' and how you came to be digging a lot of iron. Sorry Junior, If you were doing this then I am afraid it is very much down to you the user and not the machine itself.
It is a machine that requires a bit of patience to master and doesn't come pre-set up. :D But it isn't difficult. There is a reason the GMP is still sold despite the advent of the Deus Lite .............................Its about the driver experience. I could buy a car which more or less drove and parked itself. But I find having some proper imput much more rewarding.

A word of caution about the 'GMP program' on the Lite. It is not the same as having a proper GMP. At all.
hello, well said littleboot, this is not a switch on and go like the ACE but once mastered brings the rewards. good luck Andi what ever you decide

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:05 pm

If you wanted to try one out I could let you borrow mine, V4 Deus stem, and wireless backbones

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm

littleboot wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am

I've worked in construction for 38 yr it's not just the gmp I couldn't distinguish my mate had a tesoro cibola ...I got a trident 1 after second outing with him...I'd go over stuff...brilliant signal he'd compare it and say it's iron ....rubbish I thought ...yep iron....time and time again he proved it....no3 machine a safari and so on and so on to no 18 in 10 yrs ....it must b me ears ...I run dues and 3030 at 760 hzs in tones so maybe not so good with the lower tones ::g
A lot of people love them but it woz not for me.... :D

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:05 pm
If you wanted to try one out I could let you borrow mine, V4 Deus stem, and wireless backbones

WOW, Bargeman, that's a great offer, you're very kind and a gentleman. If the offer still stands in the near future, I may even take you up on it ::g ::g

Unfortunately, Kevin has just returned my message, saying the GMP was sold this morning. That will teach me, chewing this over for over a week. I need to strike whilst the grunt tone is still hot.
Andi
Garrett Ace 250.

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Listen to littleboot, the lady seems to know what shes talking about ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Junior wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am
Put another £100 to it and get a dues lite s/h ::g I had one on v4 and never dug so much iron in my life , I couldn't tell the tones apart....kept it for 3 month and got red of it and got what I should have in the first place ...plus ud have the choice of """" 4 frequencies (4kHz ; 8kHz ; 12kHz ; 18kHz) + shift plus/minus
Power and Recovery adjustable (2 or 3 times faster/slower than the Gold Maxx Power """"" off xp site ... supposedly....
Hi Junior, It's all about horses for course in my view, but having the wrong jockey on board some times makes the winning post seem a long way-off. However,it's always a bit disappointing when a rider, is unnecessarily and unjustly unseated from his mount long before the winning post comes into view. I'm sure you gave it a good go though and pleased to hear you're now on a sure winner.......(in your view) 8-| Keep smiling and Good Luck ::g -ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:23 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm
Bargeman wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:05 pm

WOW, Bargeman, that's a great offer, you're very kind and a gentleman. If the offer still stands in the near future, I may even take you up on it ::g ::g

Unfortunately, Kevin has just returned my message, saying the GMP was sold this morning. That will teach me, chewing this over for over a week. I need to strike whilst the grunt tone is still hot.
Andi
No problem at all, it is here ready to be used.
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Digger Drew

Post by Digger Drew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 pm

i started with an ac 250 and went to gmp best thing i ever did finds rate went up ten fold the gmp is an amazing machine once you gt to know the sounds
finds/5 roman silver coins tons of roman coins/31 hammered/1 gold george 1st half guineau/lots of milled/many crotal bells,saxon brooch,bronze age axe and various other items

XP Goldmaxx + Goldmaxx power+ permission +time= finds

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Digger Drew wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 pm
i started with an ac 250 and went to gmp best thing i ever did finds rate went up ten fold the gmp is an amazing machine once you gt to know the sounds
hello, that about sums up the GMP, good hearing/good head phones,

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:16 pm

hello, the videos made by norfolk wolf are well worth watching, there is one on the GMP and the minelab sovereign i also mentioned, looking back he did some very good reviews, not like some you see on U tube today.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 am

The detection side of the Goldmaxx Power can't be argued with, the continued results and history of finds speak for themselves, but the poor build quality resulting in the wobbly control box, can for some, including me, be a distraction too far.
And for me, this lets the whole detector down, and has stood in the way of me getting another XP machine.

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 am

I would never change mine. I have two of them ::g
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 am

A Few off topic replies removed, please remember to stay on topic ::g
Thanks
mrix

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 am

Hi
I’ve used me GMP for about a solid year now...
After running over my Garrett 300 with the motor :E
Will probably never change it,
I Did buy An xp bracket to mount the control box above the stem
Forward of my hand...kept it out the mud,
But was too unbalanced for me...was good in stubble
With the extra weight forward.
But not good on the wrist.
The box is now back under neath.
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Lowland wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 am
Hi
I’ve used me GMP for about a solid year now...
After running over my Garrett 300 with the motor :E
Will probably never change it,
I Did buy An xp bracket to mount the control box above the stem
Forward of my hand...kept it out the mud,
But was too unbalanced for me...was good in stubble
With the extra weight forward.
But not good on the wrist.
The box is now back under neath.
I give the GMP more heft through stubble by simply winding duct tape round and round and round to make a ball at the bottom of my stem.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Having the cabling wrapped around the lower part of the stem did two things for me;
1 - it resulted in falsing, whereby you would get a false signal when the coil hit the hard stubble.
2 - Did make it easier to move through the stubble but it also unbalanced the machine and 3 hrs was enough on the wrist.
I am not without muscle but a machines balance is very important. My work involves balancing tennis and squash rackets for the Prima Donnas and they will always want the centre of balance away from the head of the racket and nearer the butt end, more manoeuverable and less inertia for the arm to overcome on each swing.

So I moved my cabling towards the control box end. Still enough solid weight to move through the stubble and much easier on my arm. Its the same for all machines, the crucial factor is not so much the overall weight as where that weight is located.

I have the GMP as a back up machine now, but if I have a serious bit of detecting to do, perhaps needing to focus on one part of a field at leisure then it will probably be the GMP that is used. The signals are so crisp and clear and strong. The settings are all important and you soon get to know what suits the ground and conditions on the day. Plenty of excellent videos available, but as already said, the Norfolk Wolf one is best, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”