Nox 800 What Am I Doing Wrong??

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
skythepig

Nox 800 What Am I Doing Wrong??

Post by skythepig » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi after 15 years using a Sovereign Elite I took the plunge several months ago and jumped on the Equinox band wagon.
I have mainly been doing beach detecting so the recent move to land with the Nox has been a learning curve.. but I feel I am getting something wrong.
I have some new field permissions which have never been detected as as far as the owner knows.
I have been out today and tried Field 1 & 2 first without then later with All metal mode, but am now confused with what the Nox is trying to tell me.
Sweeping along I get a clear hi signal along with a lower non ferrous tone, ID 21 then -4 alternating. I dig the signal in case it is something good next to iron.
After digging down to 10 inches, 4 of which are rock hard I dig up the nail with the round top (bottom left) I am now confused, re check hole no other signals :-/
Why is a ferrous nail giving a hi tone 21 id signal.
I try sweeping with All Metal on. No signals to low tone -4, -8 -4 -8 then bleep high 15. Dig again the hook shaped piece of iron.
Couple of questions: Does this mean for this field I need to change the iron bias up from the default zero to dig less iron?
If for example you get say a high tone ID15 or higher in Field 1 then switch on All Metal and it flashes between a low tone -4 and high tone ID15 does this mean it is a ferrous item and ignore it or do I dig it?
Sorry if this seems really basic questions, but I am finding the transfer from beach to land frustrating with the Nox and could do with some help in where I am going wrong.
This is a picture of todays finds..sorry about the quality as it is more to show what sort of rubbish I am digging rather that identifying the items. Ferrous items checked with magnet are on the left, non ferrous on right of line.
field1120818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Still learning the Equinox 800, Sovereign Elite & A Bad Back

rustek69

Re: Nox 800 What Am I Doing Wrong??

Post by rustek69 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm

hi there if you are doing fields or inland detecting the iron bias should not be on zero as you will hear the iron and also dig the iron iron bias should be set to 2 if not much iron and set to 3 if loads of iron I'm doing roman sites with loads of iron present and we are getting away with using iron bias set at 2 any that should help mate stop digging iron :D

fred

Post by fred » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm

rustek69 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm
hi there if you are doing fields or inland detecting the iron bias should not be on zero as you will hear the iron and also dig the iron iron bias should be set to 2 if not much iron and set to 3 if loads of iron I'm doing roman sites with loads of iron present and we are getting away with using iron bias set at 2 any that should help mate stop digging iron :D
Exactly. The preset modes are unsuitable for use on many/most UK fields without upping the iron bias. Plenty already written about this. ::g

As far as interpreting the signals go you are on the right track. It is not enough to simply get a high number somewhere amongst the negatives though. You also need to be able to lock on to the high number and the sound that you lock on to must be a nice rounded signal not a sudden jump. Locking onto small targets amongst junk depends upon mastering the 'Minelab wriggle' and for better interpretation of signals I use 50 tones rather than any of the other options. Once you have sorted this out and got some Nox time under your belt you won't really need to change frequencies to ID most iron.

Best of luck ::g
Last edited by fred on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

rustek69

Post by rustek69 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

i think detectorists what have bought the nox haven't given them selves enough time to use them,also you really do need to read the manual a few times to get an understanding of what the setting are and used for once ppl get to grips with the machine they will love it as i think many do,if they are not sure may be ask a friend or someone on a rally or club dig to set it up for them it only takes a couple of minutes to do.ive been using a t2ltd for over 8years and i must say as much as i loved my t2 i won't be going back to one, times change and technology moves on ::g

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks Rustek and Fred. I am glad i had a rough understanding of the iron bias setting in relation to my fields so will give that a try. I know this comes down to hours under the belt and like you I don't want to go back to the old Elite so will continue swinging.
I have read the manual more times than is healthy but this old brain seems to have a knowledge retention leak so have open copies of it on a laptop, ipad and mobile...a bit over the top I know.
For all I know these fields might be full of junk but you never know after thousands of years of farming some things must get left behind that's why we all love this hobby :;@

werewhelk

Post by werewhelk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am

fred wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm
It is not enough to simply get a high number somewhere amongst the negatives though. You also need to be able to lock on to the high number and the sound that you lock on to must be a nice rounded signal not a sudden jump.
That sounds like a great bit of advice Fred, I think it's probably where I've been going a bit wrong too, so I will try putting that into practice ::g ::g
Tim

Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Did some testing this morning with the iron junk (nails etc) I picked up yesterday and with a half sovereign (always hopeful) lined up on clean ground.
Used Field 1, set 50 tones, Iron Bias 3.
It will ignore the nails on their own, great.
As expected It gives a very clear audio signal on the half sovereign on its own and locks on ID 15..even better
But put the nail (2 inches) next to the sovereign and the behavior changes which is where I am getting confused.
It will no longer lock onto the sovereign there is a high pitched tone with an immediate lower tone but not a ferrous low tone. The ID jumps from 4 to 15 but will not lock on to either tone so I would make the mistake of not digging this signal?
Tried turning 90% and although signals appear to be slightly further apart, still no lock on signal. I then tried the wiggle and it still doesn't lock but did notice the strongest audio moves the pinpoint point from centre to just in front on the Equinox 11 sticker.
If i use the Nox pinpoint function it does not signal anything until the coil is clear of the nail and the sovereign is right on the edge of the coil where the little arrow head marker is?
The fields I have seem to have a lot of iron junk and the Nox is providing very un-clear (to me) signals in this sort of site and fails to lock on. Been through the manual again but don't think I am missing anything obvious unless someone on here can tell me otherwise...please

Tippercow

Post by Tippercow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I am completely new to metal detecting and decided to go with the Equinox 800 rather than upgrade later. You might think that might be a tough way to learn and you may be right but I don't have the distraction of being competent with another detector to further confuse me. I was digging a lot of iron to begin with but now re check a potential dig signal at 90 degrees and again with a 10khz single frequency. I also find that if I consult the manual after a dig, some of the more confusing/hard to understand stuff starts to make sense. I doubt if many people will get to grips with the Equinox after 5, 10 or even 20 hours use but its fun trying. ;)

fred

Post by fred » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

skythepig wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm
Did some testing this morning with the iron junk (nails etc) I picked up yesterday and with a half sovereign (always hopeful) lined up on clean ground.
Used Field 1, set 50 tones, Iron Bias 3.
It will ignore the nails on their own, great.
As expected It gives a very clear audio signal on the half sovereign on its own and locks on ID 15..even better
But put the nail (2 inches) next to the sovereign and the behavior changes which is where I am getting confused.
It will no longer lock onto the sovereign there is a high pitched tone with an immediate lower tone but not a ferrous low tone. The ID jumps from 4 to 15 but will not lock on to either tone so I would make the mistake of not digging this signal?
Tried turning 90% and although signals appear to be slightly further apart, still no lock on signal. I then tried the wiggle and it still doesn't lock but did notice the strongest audio moves the pinpoint point from centre to just in front on the Equinox 11 sticker.
If i use the Nox pinpoint function it does not signal anything until the coil is clear of the nail and the sovereign is right on the edge of the coil where the little arrow head marker is?
The fields I have seem to have a lot of iron junk and the Nox is providing very un-clear (to me) signals in this sort of site and fails to lock on. Been through the manual again but don't think I am missing anything obvious unless someone on here can tell me otherwise...please
A low conductor like a gold half sovereign is a pig of a target to use for this test. At least use something silver to start with! :D Also nails vary considerably in composition. Some seem almost impossible to ignore with any degree of confidence.

Try playing with the Recovery Speed and see what happens. Remember that as you increase the Recovery Speed the depth decreases.

Some Composite signals, i.e. from more than one target in the same location, can be a tad confusing until you get used to them and there are practical limits to what can actually be separated. With experience you should get to know what those limits are and what your machine is telling you. Once you can recognise unusual responses you can make the call to dig or ignore them as you see fit. That's all part of the fun (allegedly)! ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Fred will play with recovery speed. Any loss of depth wont be a problem at moment as any deeper than approx 8 inches is like digging concrete in the fields round here. Need some more rain.
Will try the experiment again with some silver to see how I get on, but thanks again for all the help.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Tippercow wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm
I am completely new to metal detecting and decided to go with the Equinox 800 rather than upgrade later. You might think that might be a tough way to learn and you may be right but I don't have the distraction of being competent with another detector to further confuse me. I was digging a lot of iron to begin with but now re check a potential dig signal at 90 degrees and again with a 10khz single frequency. I also find that if I consult the manual after a dig, some of the more confusing/hard to understand stuff starts to make sense. I doubt if many people will get to grips with the Equinox after 5, 10 or even 20 hours use but its fun trying. ;)
Well, the advertising blurb does suggest that the default settings make the machine suitable for beginners as well as experts. You're absolutely right - it will take time to understand and get used to the settings that work for you in various circumstances - the same is true of all machines, cheap or expensive. Keep enjoying it and let us see your finds :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Makro multi Kruzer
Deus Lite v.3.2 + WS4
Garrett Pro Pointer

fred

Post by fred » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm
Tippercow wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Well, the advertising blurb does suggest that the default settings make the machine suitable for beginners as well as experts. You're absolutely right - it will take time to understand and get used to the settings that work for you in various circumstances - the same is true of all machines, cheap or expensive. Keep enjoying it and let us see your finds :)

Phil
I think that the advertising blurb was primarily aimed at the US and Australian markets where they haven't had the benefit of 2,000 plus years of iron junk going into the soil. :D The Preset Modes are not that bad and can be used in the UK but, in my opinion, they are oversensitive to iron and the Recovery Speed is unnecessarily high for most UK situations. As far as I can see most experienced US detectorists who post on Youtube set up more or less as we do anyway. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”