Talacre come Tuesday

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Resurgam

Talacre come Tuesday

Post by Resurgam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Big tide at Talacre on Tuesday and consequently a very low one to follow.

Tired of waiting for my permissions to soften up, or for the winter wheat to be harvested from a couple of small fields that I have permission to detect, I have decide to give Talacre an other try and also have a look at a small plot that I have been given permission to detect down there.

Chris :)

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Ladybird66

Re: Talacre come Tuesday

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 am

Know how you feel Chris. I couldn’t wait to jump in as soon as I saw the wheat had gone off a few of my fields.
The result, well you saw it. Ground rock hard, nothing found to speak of and a painful foot from spade bashing.
The beach could be a nice option, if the weather picks up. Best of luck. Mind you don’t over-do it. ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

OMG...........must v eaten something that has disagreed with my digestive system this morning and am wondering if I dare venture far from home just yet. Going to risk going out for a little bit of shopping down town later and will take the Mrs to the bingo tonight.

All things being equal and if the tummy settles down by this evening I will still contemplate trying Talacre but if not, I just may try one of my permissions and see if all the recent rain has softened up any of the paddocks.

Chris :-SS

Jonogroats

Post by Jonogroats » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Did a couple of hours on talacre yesterday. Managed a handful of bullets though the bigger ones disintegrated when trying to clean them up, a round chunk of lead about 3 inch round and and an inch thick, what looks a bit like a door nob with timber dowel running through the middle of it and a chunk of what I think is lead. It looks like a ski with both ends upturned. Probably about 15 inch long by about 4 inch with 2 holes one at each end. No idea what it is. Oh and a proper battered up 2p. Still a fun day out though

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 pm

I did make it to Talacre and chased the tide out to low water. I initially intended working an area close to a wreck that I know of but couldn't get too close due to deep sticky mud. I did contemplate approaching the wreck via an indirect rout but then wondered if I may get cut off by the returning tide. Being alone, I decided to knock that idea on the head and retreated back towards the foot of the dunes.

Didn't really do any thorough detecting and avoided the projectile beds and the area contaminated with copper shrapnel from 50 cal projectiles. 2 X 1p coins, a couple of 303 cases, and some copper shrapnel were my best finds for the day but my heart wasn't really in it. The tummy infection from the day before must have taken it out of me and I drove home from Talacre feeling in very low spirits.

Sadly, I didn't have enough go in me to visit the small permission that I had gained the last time I was down there.

Not been out since but the winter wheat has been harvested from two small local plots that I have permission for but I presently just don't feel up to swinging the coil.

Chris I-)

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 am

Oh poor you. The mind is willing but etc :( I, on the other hand, listen to my body and then suffer the guilt. Can’t win, can we !
Just take some time to get right and listen to what your body is saying. You have been warned :D ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 am

Johnogroats, sounds like you did a bit of digging. I know from what Resurgam has posted, there are loads of WW11 left-overs on Talacre. I’m sure he’ll be pleased you’ve taken some away for him.
It’s a big beach but I’m surprised more goodies aren’t found. Maybe next time ::g

Jonogroats

Post by Jonogroats » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Yeah did a fair bit of digging but luckily I had my mate with me who was doing all the digging to begin with until he give up and just started cleaning some of the stuff up in the sea. He did carry the bucket of finds back to car though thankfully cause it was proper heavy

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”