Gone over to the damp side!

Only for the discussion of all other Minelab models of metal detectors that do not have there own forum.
edge1255

Gone over to the damp side!

Post by edge1255 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Got my new excalibur II delivered today! Woohoo! Looking forward to doing a bit of paddling with it. Sadly my car died so it may be some time until I can give it a proper soaking! Didn't realise how awkward it is to try and wind the cable round the shaft when both ends are attached. I think I'll be keeping it made up for the foreseeable future! Another slight niggle is that there is no indication that the battery is charging, the charger is plugged into the unit but there's nothing to show that anything is happening. I've ordered an intelligent charger from the good old US of A which shows when the battery is charging and when fully charged switches to a trickle charge to keep the battery topped up. It's not that expensive and I don't see why Minelab don't supply something like it, considering I received FOUR separate chargers with the machine, all with different mains plug configurations! It's definitely a hefty machine when on the S-shaft, so I think a straight shaft will be on the cards very shortly! I've also ordered a knob guard (snigger snigger), again from the States as the controls look pretty vulnerable to knocks and catching on things. All in all really pleased with the quality of it and can't wait to swing it along my local beach! :D

Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

Easylife

Re: Gone over to the damp side!

Post by Easylife » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:17 am

Depending upon the type of beach a knob guard could be most useful whilst swinging it! :D
Best of luck with your new toy. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 pm

edge1255 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 pm
Got my new excalibur II delivered today! Woohoo! Looking forward to doing a bit of paddling with it. Sadly my car died so it may be some time until I can give it a proper soaking! Didn't realise how awkward it is to try and wind the cable round the shaft when both ends are attached. I think I'll be keeping it made up for the foreseeable future! Another slight niggle is that there is no indication that the battery is charging, the charger is plugged into the unit but there's nothing to show that anything is happening. I've ordered an intelligent charger from the good old US of A which shows when the battery is charging and when fully charged switches to a trickle charge to keep the battery topped up. It's not that expensive and I don't see why Minelab don't supply something like it, considering I received FOUR separate chargers with the machine, all with different mains plug configurations! It's definitely a hefty machine when on the S-shaft, so I think a straight shaft will be on the cards very shortly! I've also ordered a knob guard (snigger snigger), again from the States as the controls look pretty vulnerable to knocks and catching on things. All in all really pleased with the quality of it and can't wait to swing it along my local beach! :D

Just got my excal too mate. My threshold seems iffy. Hows yours? Which knob guard :D did you go for? One off plugger or an Anderson of Kelly Co? 👍
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am

Hi Devon Steve, good to hear you've gone for the excal. I found that the threshold was quavering when I turned the machine on in the house, it seems quite sensitive to things like wifi signals, tvs and the like but its ok outside. I went for the guard from plugger, its about $10 dollars cheaper, but looks the same, I guess a knob guard is a knob guard! I definitely find the standard S-shaft to be heavy in use, but a straight shaft costs about $150 dollars including postage from the States, and I suspect there would be a fee from Customs to pay on top of that. What I've done is built a sort of extension shaft, about 15" long that fits into the end of the S-shaft, and fitted the control unit and battery onto that, and it now balances beautifully. I'll put up a picture of it tomorrow. I made it out of an old monopod that I used for photography, so it cost me nothing to make. Something to note, when you pass the coil over iron when in discrimination, the threshold disappears, but comes back sounding 'throaty' or rough. It doesn't affect the depth or anything, but will stay that way until you pass the coil over another target, when it returns to the smooth sound. If it bothers you bring your scoop or spade near the coil and the roughness stops. I had the same thing with the Sovereign, but you soon get used to it, its not a fault, but its rarely mentioned in youtube vids. I'm looking forward to getting down to the beach with it, and hope you enjoy using yours and that you find lots of nice gold and silver with it!
Jon ::g
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:45 am

edge1255 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am
I guess a knob guard is a knob guard! I definitely find the standard S-shaft to be heavy in use.
It's a good job that Bradley Walsh isn't reading this out. :))
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

I seem to have a way with words, don't I? rl; =))
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 pm

As promised, here's pics of my home made s-shaft extension.
rsz_p1000666.jpg
rsz_p1000664.jpg
rsz_p1000663.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Looks good mate. I see plugger does the same shafts but looks straightforward to make. I read up on the tones and found out about the threshold tone. I use the trick of passing it next to scoop. But it was more than that. There was a problem with the threhshold and its been repaired. Not tested yet though.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Good stuff, glad its been sorted! I'm off detecting with mine for the first time tomorrow, looking forward to see how well it does! ::g
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

Return to “Other Minelab Metal Detectors Forum”