Battery protection for Excalibur

Only for the discussion of all other Minelab models of metal detectors that do not have there own forum.
edge1255

Battery protection for Excalibur

Post by edge1255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Folks, just had a look at my spare battery for my new excal and noticed that the two terminals are exposed. Sticking it in the spares pocket of my detector bag along with other bits and pieces mean that it could short out, or get the holes in the terminals clogged up with crap, sand etc. I thought Minelab would supply a screw on cap with it but no luck. I've tried to find a plastic screwcap that would fit the assembly but no luck with that either. Has anybody found anything available or come up with an idea to keep the terminals clean and covered?
Cheers,
Jon :-/

Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

sweepstick47

Re: Battery protection for Excalibur

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 am

Until you find something more suitable, a 'dod' of blue-tack/plasticine would serve as a temporary solution. A photo would perhaps bring suggestions from those members not familiar with the design of your battery. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks,ss47, should have thought of that! rl;

I don't know the thread size but the overall diameter of the threaded bit is 1", as near as I can measure it. A simple threaded plastic cap would solve the problem, but I've tried as many as I can find on every bottle and plastic tub in my house! The battery takes two small banana style plugs
fitted to the cable from the main detector unit. I can see grit or sand or something getting jammed in the holes, giving rise to connection/waterproofing problems.
Here's pics of the two bits.
rsz_p1000660.jpg
rsz_1excalbatt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Forgot to say I've contacted Minelab to see if they can supply the tech specs of the threaded bit to see if there's something available that could be used.
Jon
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Many thanks edge1255 ::g Cracking close-up pics I wish all photo's uploaded to the forum were as good - (with a scale of course)!::g I can now see the difficulty. Regarding the protruding section containing the two female connections requiring some sort of protective insulating cover to fit it, I would be looking for a pliable plastic top from a container, food bottle etc. I've just found such a device. It's the top to a vinegar bottle which would fit the bill being 1 inch internal diameter.

Forget trying to find one with the same screw thread, the vinegar top will be eminently suitable as a 'push-fit' that would be easy to remove by an unscrewing action as the thread would then assist in the action.
T
he vinegar bottle details are as follows-

Batt's Malt Vinegar, 568ml and sold by your local Lidl store for less than a quid!.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on. Regards ss47

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Brilliant stuff! I spent about 2 hours unscrewing lids from everything from olive oil bottles to deodorant sticks and couldn't even get near to the right size. I think the problem's been that I normally shop at Lidl, but they're rebuilding the store up here in Motherwell! Will nip over to my next nearest Lidl store and see if I can find a bottle! Will post a photo.
Cheers!
Jon ::g
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Was just out there walking the dog when I spotted a plastic cap on the grass. Believe it or not its a perfect fit, even the thread is the same. Screws on nice and tight. Now I've just got to find whatever it came off so I can buy a couple more! ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Great Job ::g When you identify the cap's origin, remember to post it up for other Excalibur users.
I think your dog deserves a 'Bonio' for his/her part in your success. ::g Regards ss47

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 pm

Finally found a common cap to use for the excal battery pack, to prevent the holes getting filled with crud or shorting out in your detecting bag. The lid from a Smartwater 600ml bottle fits with a firm push, and won't fall off in transit. ::g
image-2018-09-05 (1).jpg
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

Return to “Other Minelab Metal Detectors Forum”