First outing with my new excal!

Only for the discussion of all other Minelab models of metal detectors that do not have there own forum.
edge1255

First outing with my new excal!

Post by edge1255 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:03 am

Drove about 50 miles this morning to one of the east coast beaches near Edinburgh to try out my new excal. Started about noon and finished about 7pm. The excal was beautifully smooth whether on dry sand, damp sand, wet sand or underwater sand! (well, about welly boot depth underwater!)
and what goodies did I find.....nothing, nada, zilch, zero. Not even a single coin. I keep a gold ring on a tether in a compartment of my finds pouch and tried burying it to make sure the detector was actually working. Buried it to the total depth of my garrett carrot and covered it with sand. The excal picked it up no probs, so seems that I was on the emptiest beach I have ever seen. What the excal did pick up were pieces of rotted aluminium drinks cans. It picked them up very well....like small pieces the size of half a pinkie fingernail....at depths of 8 or 9 inches....I think I've worn out my beach scoop... However, being an eternal optimist I can tell myself that if the gold and silver rings, coins, etc were there the excal would have had no problems finding them. All in all, very happy with the excal ::g, very unhappy with a certain beach... ;;z

Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

fred

Re: First outing with my new excal!

Post by fred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 am

The problem with beaches is that you need to keep an eye on them and only detect when the conditions are right. Unfortunately that's not really practical from 50 miles distant. I always have several possible beaches lined up and if one doesn't look right I simply move on to the next until I find one that does. Even then I still sometimes blank.

Better luck next time. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:58 am

The gold, silver and other goodies will be on that beach but will probably be out of range of even the deepest seeking detector by several feet at the moment. But beaches change all the time with the tide taking sand off or putting it on. On one beach I found several silver and a gold rings near a groin that was about my head height, at the moment the top of this groin is not visible as it is buried under the sand.

Like Fred I have learnt to read the beaches that I detect on and know if a beach is worth detecting or not and which parts will produce the finds. You have to take mental notes of the conditions on the beach each time you go to see if there are any spots where the sand is being taken off such as in my avatar.

It takes patience to wait for a beach to come good, you often read on the forum of the gold and silver being found on beaches but we are all guilty of failing to report the dozens of times we come back home with zilch.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks guys, it's always a bit hit and miss detecting beaches when you live in the centre of the country, basically as far away from the shore as you can get! Didn't find anything of value, but still had a great time being outdoors in the fresh air, the weather was good and I've learned a lot about the excal. And its those empty days that make the successful days all that much sweeter! ::g
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 am

Before you go out check the areas beach web cams and keep an eye on them over a long period. In Cornwall a lot of the beaches and hotels by the beaches have them. As I may have said before one beach I keep an eye on the sand suddenly started to vanish over a couple of days only. Down the next day and in two short sessions came away with two very old heavy Gold rings to a total of 18gms. One of the best cameras in the area is the Headland Hotel in Newquay, they have just installed a new one which is much better.
We seen to be having the same problem down here because of the amount of sand being washed in, one of my best areas has sand about 5ft deeper than is normal so it's not even worth going there. Hope to give it a try tomorrow as the tides are 7.5 mtr and as the county is so narrow where we live it is only 8 miles to either coast so I can usually get out of the wind and surf.
It took me ages to read the beaches in this area and sometimes when I go to a beach I have a look a I don't even get the detector out of the car but as there are over 300 beaches around here no problem.
The main problem on some beaches is that they breed aluminium so I never go to them twice.

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:34 am

I'm fortunate to live a few minutes from the beach, but as I'm in full-time employment, only get out with the detector at weekends, tides permitting.

I'm also fortunate that so far, I haven't found anything of value, but still get a buzz out of every find. .303 cartridges, fishing weights (some quite old?) even found a gas cartridge (Sodastream?) which took me back to my youth in the 70's.

As I don't have any great expectations, I always come home relaxed and enjoy my sessions on the beach and as I use a CS4PI and dig everyhing, means I'm getting fitter all the time :))
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:40 am

Better luck next time,
When I detect beaches its more about being out on the coast as its my fav place to be, any finds are a bonus, Keep at it and when the conditions are good the goodies will follow, winters storms are on there way ::g enjoy using the excal u certainly have the rite machine for the job.
Goodluck. ::g

Return to “Other Minelab Metal Detectors Forum”