Equinox "Masterclass" Video

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Bargeman

Equinox "Masterclass" Video

Post by Bargeman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 pm

That is their words...

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

beep-and-dig

Re: Equinox "Masterclass" Video

Post by beep-and-dig » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Yep, that sure was Master Class :)) :)) :)) :)) and very informative :-/

Smiley.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Yes I managed about three minutes! Was the cameraman scared of the instructor as it was filmed at "range!" :))

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 pm

That could have been good ..... but sadly was not IMHO.

As said above why was it filmed "at range". IF it had showed the detectors display screen and what he was actually doing it would have made so much more sense.

Even the people there were confused and having to ask questions, and while he was "lecturing" one even appeared to be being shown by the lady a few yards away rather than listening to him.

I managed 10 minutes of the 43. Any body done the whole video?, does it improve?.

With that "Masterclass" title I thought I would learn really useful stuff, but 10 minutes was all I could manage and do not think I learnt anything in that short time. Vey disappointed.

Evan

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm

It is diabolical :D :D :D he doesn't even know the settings at one point x; I am surprised Minelab have put their name to that, if I were Minelab I would have that video pulled pretty damn quick.

Masterclass! yes, in how not to do it. :)) :D

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 pm

As it appeared to have the official Minelab support I was expecting it to be really good, like BM I am surprised that they put their name to it.

Nothing for it then. Bargeman and Fred will have to get together and do a genuine "Masterclass" video for people like me.

Evan

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm
I am surprised Minelab have put their name to that
Me too. Production/audio quality is terrible (presumably just a strategically positioned smartphone? :-/ ) and the content is nothing more you could glean from the manual in less time than it takes to watch all of that...

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:15 am

I got tired after a few minutes after people started wandering around as previously said the details on screen now and again would of been good ,not the best ....Will try and do the full 40 odd minutes to see if it improves

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 am

It may not be the best (I quickly got bored with it too) but if it helps somebody then no harm done. There are plenty of other videos out there anyway. :D

It does occur to me that there may be a need to pull all the things that we have discovered about the Nox into a single place, some of it is buried in quite obscue posts. Any thoughts people? :-/
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am

Good idea Fred, I wonder , could a like different programs than standard factory say for most makes be done even non screen machines could be included e.g on my program I run the cibola on sens 4 , threshold 2 etc etc , I look for programs in my case for the dues , 3030 but soon get bored going back page after page and soon give up say looking for the dues - hedge fodder program or Fred s equinox settings , yes u can write them on a bit of paper , copy to the phone in memo or screen shot but it would be nice to have various brands/ programs to try in one place ::g

Sorry if it's now possibly changed to a new thread move to a new topic if needed ::g

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 am

fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 am
It does occur to me that there may be a need to pull all the things that we have discovered about the Nox into a single place, some of it is buried in quite obscure posts. Any thoughts people? :-/
That is a great idea Fred. When you consider how much information there is on here (mainly due to you), yet posts appear every day from people new to the forum or have changed to the nox. It isn't really surprising as the information is under so many different topics, and the opinions change with experience over time. There are areas of consensus, such as: Recovery Speed and Iron Bias, the importance of GB and frequent Noise Cancelling, swing speed, etc. Number of tones and choice of pitch may be a matter of personal preference, but I think this is slightly overlooked in terms of importance, as interpretation of signals is a key factor.

It would definitely be useful to have all the information to date in a single post as a starting point for people, where further info could be added as time goes on but still make sense to someone looking at it for the first time. ::g
Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:44 pm

That video was really short on info i watched it for about 10 min. just confusing ( being very kind ), i suppose if you just had the nox and did not read the sheet of start up supplied it might help a bit.Yes a collection of all the information regarding different functions would be a great idea rather than trying to find it in the the posts. Every time i use the nox i learn a little more but Freds posts have made it that more easier to grasp it. beachboy70 Pete ::g

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm

I watched 2 minutes, fast forwarded several times and it didn't get any more informative.... even the onlookers in the video look disinterested.

Why can't Minelab themselves publish a number of suggested programs / settings for the various environments in which the machine will be used?

As I discovered today at a club dig from a couple of chaps who had attended Detectival yesterday, the Minelab man there was freely setting up machines with their 'Killer' program (which consequently is now installed on my machine but can't yet give any personal verdict on those settings as the finds on today's fields were few and far between)

The point is, it must be in Minelab's interests, as well as ours, to publish such things, which will hopefully maximise the chances of making decent finds and eliminating junk, at least for non-technically minded new users like me who don't have the time to experiment for weeks / months / years before finding out what settings work best...

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Rutus Alter 71

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm
the Minelab man there was freely setting up machines with their 'Killer' program
Phil
Good luck with that mode Phil, that is a two tone mode in field one, one tone for iron, one for everything else, I tried it but reverted back to five tones in field two. If you are going to the dig this weekend I will talk you through a couple of modes, and add them to your machine if you fancy them. ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm
Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm
the Minelab man there was freely setting up machines with their 'Killer' program
Phil
Good luck with that mode Phil, that is a two tone mode in field one, one tone for iron, one for everything else, I tried it but reverted back to five tones in field two. If you are going to the dig this weekend I will talk you through a couple of modes, and add them to your machine if you fancy them. ::g

Yep Kevin - wasn't that impressed frankly, although limited experience.... I have till now been using Field 2 , 50 tones with a few tweaks but apparently the Minelab man at Detectival said to leave Field 2 alone until you're more experienced and also don't ever need to ground balance.... (all second hand information by the way) .... hmmmm.

Many thanks for the offer - I definitely need some guidance at this stage! I'll be there next weekend and look forward to seeing you again. Glad to hear Nigel / Foodie Doodies will be there - can't beat the burgers :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Rutus Alter 71

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Yep Kevin - wasn't that impressed frankly, although limited experience.... I have till now been using Field 2 , 50 tones with a few tweaks but apparently the Minelab man at Detectival said to leave Field 2 alone until you're more experienced and also don't ever need to ground balance.... (all second hand information by the way) .... hmmmm.

Many thanks for the offer - I definitely need some guidance at this stage! I'll be there next weekend and look forward to seeing you again. Glad to hear Nigel / Foodie Doodies will be there - can't beat the burgers :)

Phil

He is right that you don't need to ground balance - just like you don't need to turn up the Iron Bias, lower the Recovery Speed or even turn on the damn machine at all. The controls on the Nox, like on any machine, give you the ability to adjust the machine to suit the site conditions and your personal preferences so why anybody would choose not to use them to their full potential escapes me? :D

PS I'd love to know exactly what their 'Killer' programme is.
Last edited by fred on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I shall send it to you, in a while ::g
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm
fred wrote:

I shall send it to you, in a while ::g
Cheers, I look forward to seeing it. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm

fred wrote:

He is right that you don't need to ground balance - just like you don't need to turn up the Iron Bias, lower the Recovery Speed or even turn on the damn machine at all. The controls on the Nox, like on any machine, give you the ability to adjust the machine to suit the site conditions and your personal preferences so why anybody would choose not to use them to their full potential escapes me? :D

Since Kevin has kindly offered to send you the 'Killer' settings I'll say no more - other than one setting I remember is Iron Bias 5.....

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Rutus Alter 71

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm
fred wrote:

Since Kevin has kindly offered to send you the 'Killer' settings I'll say no more - other than one setting I remember is Iron Bias 5.....

Phil
I have had a shufti and already have reservations about it. First impression is that they've gone for stability over performance so it is only suitable for beginners but I'll give it a go tomorrow! :D
Last edited by fred on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm not keen on "killer programmes" or settings offered up by detecting celebrities, all you need to do is bury some targets and do some testing of your own! Surely this is the best thing to do once you have some understanding of the machine? I've seen many people offer up settings for various machines that would render the detector impotent or extremely irritating on some of my sites!

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm
I'm not keen on "killer programmes" or settings offered up by detecting celebrities, all you need to do is bury some targets and do some testing of your own! Surely this is the best thing to do once you have some understanding of the machine? I've seen many people offer up settings for various machines that would render the detector impotent or extremely irritating on some of my sites!
Fully agree. I had a lot of reservations about some of the well known offerings for the CTX too. It isn't that they won't find stuff, they certainly will, but it's what they are missing along the way that concerned me. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm

I had half an hour to spare today so spent it on Epsom Downs. The local council provide 25 licences a year to detect around the racecourse - many acres of junk infested ground to play with and test your machine / ears / discriminatory ability - (yes I do have a licence). Point is - I tried the Nox for the first time there today, using the 'Killer' settings. Using the Deus, Rutus, etc. there I've previously found that you might get one coin or something else of interest in every 10 holes - it's usually a ring pull, can fragment, etc. but today every signal in the 20-35 range was a coin. OK mostly decimal coins and toasted Viccies / Edwards, V - VI but also got a 1947 Czech Republic 50 Haleru coin - Gawd knows what that was doing there but what matters is that I got no iron signals (except a couple of signals after double checking with the all metal mode) and the ring pulls / cans were easy to ignore (i.e. easier for the ears to discriminate by shape / size, which I haven't found with other machines). Recovery speed also superior to other machines - many, many signals within a few inches of each other - the Nox can cope.

I agree that the 'celebrity' programs are for numpties but Killer seems to work on junk infested land like Epsom Downs :)

Need to learn much, much more about the Nox.... but so far it's my favourite machine:)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Rutus Alter 71

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Equinox is a bit out my price range at moment, im going for a explorer when bit more flush, was wondering if equinox is a upgrade from fbs or is it fbs too, looks a amazing machine

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm

That was the first thing I noticed Phil. I am rarely digging iron now and my sites are full of it.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

Deeceeh

Post by Deeceeh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello all.
I'm slightly confused, with the talk of different programs?
To all the experts out there, what's the difference between the "Numptie" program,
& the "Killer" program ?

I just hope I'm not searching in the Numptie settings & wasting my time?
Regards. D.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 am

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm
That was the first thing I noticed Phil. I am rarely digging iron now and my sites are full of it.
Now I have used mine for a bit I am also getting very little iron, and most of what I do dig has a hole in it that would fool most machines (and even then I am getting both an iron and good signal).

I am certainly getting more depth and finding stuff in well worked permissions, (accepting at least some would have been "missed" as I do not grid rather than due to the machine), and getting less junk so all in all I am impressed with the Nox.

Be even better when I know it properly. I think Fred should comsolidate all his good advice into a "Masterclass" post and get it pinned in the Nox forum.

Evan

fred

Post by fred » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:17 am

Saffron wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 am
SuperRed wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm
Now I have used mine for a bit I am also getting very little iron, and most of what I do dig has a hole in it that would fool most machines (and even then I am getting both an iron and good signal).

I am certainly getting more depth and finding stuff in well worked permissions, (accepting at least some would have been "missed" as I do not grid rather than due to the machine), and getting less junk so all in all I am impressed with the Nox.

Be even better when I know it properly. I think Fred should comsolidate all his good advice into a "Masterclass" post and get it pinned in the Nox forum.

Evan
The problem for me is that I am still learning about the Nox. Fortunately it is surprisingly forgiving anyway and almost anything works pretty well once you have got the hang of the basics. Setups like Killer are idiot proof in that iron is almost completely rejected and the recovery is lightning fast but they tend to sacrifice depth and sensitivity.

My sites are mostly long term and my main focus has always been on getting the optimum combination of depth and sensitivity so that I don't leave much within range behind me. That means accepting that I will dig small fragments of non ferrous and even the odd bit of iron. I full accept that some people simply don't detect like that at all. Either they only have sites available for a short time or they regard digging anything other than obvious keepers as a major failing of the machine or the programme. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Swany

Post by Swany » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am

fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm
Ten pence! wrote:
Fully agree. I had a lot of reservations about some of the well known offerings for the CTX too. It isn't that they won't find stuff, they certainly will, but it's what they are missing along the way that concerned me. :D
I think the killer programme is possibly the one mentioned in here, which I have been using and tweaking sensitivity, iron bias and recovery, I find it works well and don't think i'm missing much.

http://pmdg.org.uk/files/Gordon-Heritag ... ograms.pdf

fred

Post by fred » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am

Swany wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am
fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm
Ten pence! wrote:
I think the killer programme is possibly the one mentioned in here, which I have been using and tweaking sensitivity, iron bias and recovery, I find it works well and don't think i'm missing much.

http://pmdg.org.uk/files/Gordon-Heritag ... ograms.pdf
I agree, with that setup combined with a good technique you (and the Nox) certainly shouldn't miss much that you have within range. I have nothing against other peoples programmes but just think that they need to be regarded with caution and shouldn't replace getting to know your machine. i would point out that because of the relatively limited range of adjustments possible on a Nox once you start tweaking more than a setting or two it rapidly becomes an entirely new programme anyway. :D

In particular have a shufti at the Recovery Speed and Iron Bias on the published programme. I reckon that they both affect depth quite severely and for maximum depth they need to be as low as you are comfortable with. 10 percent or so extra depth may not make that much difference but on my well hammered pasture fields it can be fairly critical. Having the Iron Bias set high might also affect the sensitivity to very small or low conductivity targets.

I am also a bit wary about claims that you don't need to ground balance a Nox. Perhaps not to start with but once you start to pick out the almost impercetible whispers that indicate very deep targets an absolutely stable ground balance is essential. :D

As I said it is just the way that I choose to detect and I've never claimed that it will suit everybody. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”