GPS tracking.

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
Easylife

GPS tracking.

Post by Easylife » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:20 am

On my permissions I always use GPS tracking and plot the older finds (over 300 years) which may then later show some pattern and warrant a much closer look at that particular area. GPS tracking is convenient and quite good but still does not compare to the accuracy of searching by string lines or similar as some targets will always easily missed.
Use it knowing it's limitations, It's great for highlighting areas that you have not covered but really really thought you had. :D ::g

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Junior

Re: GPS tracking.

Post by Junior » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 am

I used mine and plotted stuff for 2 odd years.... great I thought.... found something of interest at club meet Flo said where did u find it....I said I can do better than that I can give u the position......came out with all the gumph .....o u don't use that one u use the other GPS setting so no good to her at all rl; so make sure it's on the setting they use :D .....silly Billy

fred

Post by fred » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am

I never use gps for knowing where I have detected as for me there is little point. All of my land is pasture and even if you string it out you will never get it all the signals with a single pass. Slight changes to the detector settings, angles of approach, the moisture content of the soil, EMI or, for all I know, the allignment of the moon with Jupiter seem to throw up more signals.

Even when a field eventually becomes quiet it is possible to turn a few of the iron signals into targets by judicious winkling. After that you are probably best advised to try another field while you wait for the technology to advance a bit.

Besides which I enjoy my random strolls in the countryside. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am

Junior wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 am
I used mine and plotted stuff for 2 odd years.... great I thought.... found something of interest at club meet Flo said where did u find it....I said I can do better than that I can give u the position......came out with all the gumph .....o u don't use that one u use the other GPS setting so no good to her at all rl; so make sure it's on the setting they use :D .....silly Billy
Grid reference is the preferred format but any can be easily converted to it. You still had the correct location saved whatever format it was in. ::g
Last edited by Easylife on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
White's TDI SL

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

I've been GPS'ing my trails and finds for some years now. I find the signal isn't quiet accurate enough to follow straight lines so I grid the areas with my marker sticks as I go. I then do the same site again at right angles. It can become a bit boring so always do a bit of free walking and go over the hot spots again.

As others have said, plenty still gets missed due to ground conditions etc. I mainly do this on pasture, but have also been slowly doing it on my one arable site. Arable needs re checking as ploughing brings new stuff up.

I have recently upgraded to the Garmin eTrex 20 so I can overlay the 1900 map on the device so I can have a live map of the old footpaths while in the fields on club digs. I found seven coins along the original footpath on this site.

Another reason I like to GPS find spots is over several years coin hot spots can come to light, and makes re visiting those spots easy.

Dave ):=
001.jpg
003.jpg
002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 am

fred wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am
I never use gps for knowing where I have detected as for me there is little point. All of my land is pasture and even if you string it out you will never get it all the signals with a single pass. Slight changes to the detector settings, angles of approach, the moisture content of the soil, EMI or, for all I know, the allignment of the moon with Jupiter seem to throw up more signals.

Even when a field eventually becomes quiet it is possible to turn a few of the iron signals into targets by judicious winkling. After that you are probably best advised to try another field while you wait for the technology to advance a bit.

Besides which I enjoy my random strolls in the countryside. :D
Most of my land is perminent pasture also but I find it especially useful for reference when I return to land that I've not been on for quite a long while. Of course ground conditions etc will affect target response but the majority should still be caught first pass so it helps to know where you have and have not been. I wish I had started using it on my permissions right from the start. :D
White's TDI SL

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

Junior wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 am

Yes they use a weird format :)) , can convert it to their one using this web site

https://gridreferencefinder.com/#

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 am

A GPS device is also handy to install polygons on, this part of the site used to be woods, now all pasture, there are very few finds in the old wood section so having this available while detecting helps keep you where you want to be.

Old map (1960's) overlay with a current map shown.

White line is an old footpath (1900's), yellow is a field boundary and cyan is the woods line.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:39 am

Dave8472 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am
..... so I grid the areas with my marker sticks as I go.
Well you'll certainly not miss those fellas - they put my smaller discrete white plastic sticks to shame. :D ::g
White's TDI SL

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”