Nox 800 portable charging or battery backup

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
pebblesifter

Nox 800 portable charging or battery backup

Post by pebblesifter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:58 am

Hello all
Firstly I should say my first post & its good to be in the hands of like minded keen mud sifters!
I should quickly say I'm fairly new to this & even newer to my new pride & joy the equinox 800
Only been using it a week & it seems fantastic compared to the two old machines I was messing about with!
My question is has anyone worked out how to carry extra battery charge or a way of charging for instance using in-car charger (will it run down the car battery?). I know gadgets such as power monkey or portable chargers exist for mobile phones & such but are there any suitable for charging the nox? Or indeed similar machines

Often I am out on the road & I know whats coming - a day of beach detecting then perfect conditions the next day only to have a flat or near flat machine when I am unable to stick the machine next to a powerpoint for 4 whole hours! I did see a youtube video of guy in USA using a gadget to charge but wondered if anyone else has tried

BTW I should add I'm using it on standard settings for the first month and not being tempted to change anything until I understand the basics!

“It’s not a man purse. It’s called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.” =))

happy detecting Andy

Bootneck45RM

Re: Nox 800 portable charging or battery backup

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 am

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum, and the treasure box of information. I'm sure some good advice will be coming from Nox owners. I must admit I've always weakened well before the battery has on my machine, but have seen situations where colleagues have forgotton to re-charge the night before and have resorted to car charging via the cars plug in socket.
Two power banks I've seen, one solar the other standard are:
RAVPOWER 16750 mAh - 4.5 amp, and
Solar Phone Charger 25000 mAh. WB PINE POWER.
Not totally up on the electrics side, but not sure if the solar one would drain and recharge too slowly, whilst the other model would not give you much of an extended period of life.
Have you checked the warrenty on the Nox to see if non Minelab accessories would invaldate the warranty.
Perhaps a call to Minelab would help.
In the meantime welcome again, and see you on the ground one of these days.
Len.

Oh and ps - its still a purse if theres money in it 😀👍

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Minelab say if the battery run low you can use a USB power bank to power it while you are detecting, you don't need to wait for it to charge, just plug and go.

That said I've used mine for 6/7 hours two days in a row without recharging and it still had power left.

For what power the nox needs to recharge a good condition car battery shouldn't drain but would take a long time unless you had a suitable fast 12V powered charger. I'm not sure if minelab do one but have a look on their site.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:59 pm

The four hour charge is only the first time. I have never had my battery go flat when using the Nox, but I do carry a power bank when I attend a rally, and top up the charge using that if needed. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 pm
Minelab say if the battery run low you can use a USB power bank to power it while you are detecting, you don't need to wait for it to charge, just plug and go.

That said I've used mine for 6/7 hours two days in a row without recharging and it still had power left.

For what power the nox needs to recharge a good condition car battery shouldn't drain but would take a long time unless you had a suitable fast 12V powered charger. I'm not sure if minelab do one but have a look on their site.

I've never used it quite that long but it's never run down much on me. It always charges back up in a couple of hours. Probably wise to avoid using the backlight, speaker or wired in headphones if you think that power could be an issue. :D
Equinox 800 x2

pebblesifter

Post by pebblesifter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:26 am

hi all
thanks for the comments. ::g I will look into any available portable power banks to use in an emergency. I have a friend that goes fishing for extended periods and he takes a mass of gadgets that need charging so I may see which power bank he recommends. I know the solar chargers are not that great unless you can leave them trickle charging for instance 12 hours of the day on a canal boat roof!
I will report back if I have any success on the portable charger route.
Andy :))

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 am

Just get a car cigarette lighter socket usb adapter. Such little power drain will not affect your car battery. Cheap and simples! ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 pm

I think you can run the Nox directly off a power bank, so no need to wait for it to chlarge.
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:22 am

I run an inverter in my van for charging drill batterys while on site.... whilst doing this I have run down the battery once , rather embarrassing, I've now bought a battery bank from a car access shop ,Hal????, 13,000mAh, it has a torch on it and 2x usb and should start a 3l engine numerous times via a set of jump leads all in a box approx 8 inch x 5 inch s by 3 deep, so easily stored , so possibly gets me out of a muddle with a flat battery and cope with most usb issues... ::g

tommyb

Post by tommyb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 pm

i use a leisure battery for all my needs for fishing and detecting . charge it up once a month. runs my TV charge's my phone and detector when needed.

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm

I think once the warranty is up i will mount a bigger battery by my elbow which will lighten the tip a bit .
Pretty easy to do the original battery just connects with a socket and you could thread a wire via a hole under the handle terminating in the opposite sex socket to join to that and and have it coming out the end of the shaft to a battery in a bit of tube poking out fixed somehow to it .
This leaves the original plug intact for resale and just a small hole through the cap that holds the battery in ,with a dab of silicone it should be fine .

The trouble is using a powerbank while detecting is the charging lead is a thick bit of wire ,fine with your machine leaning on your desk recharging but fixing it in place out and about problematic and theres the output of the powerbank ,mine is 1 amp and 2.4 amp but even at the fast charge outlet its not going to put much back in the battery having a cuppa unless your lunch is long

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am

Here's a cheapish option if you want to look at these for ideas - other retailers are available of course so shop around :) I've used these links for a quick resource option

Anker PowerCore 10000 = £24.99

Eximtrade Universal Bike Mount Phone Holder = £5.93

The bike phone mount, with a little customisation can be fitted to the stem.

Good luck

::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”