Nox TID's.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Easylife

Nox TID's.

Post by Easylife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 am

When I got my Nox 800 the shorter target number range compared to another more familiar detector took a bit of getting used to with it's very different TID's. But having both detectors meant that out of interest I could do a range of TID comparisons to better understand the Nox numbers. What I found was that Nox TID's below 20 have a more compressed range whilst those above 20 have a noticeably much wider range giving more of a top end spread than another detector - which was unexpected as I initially thought they would have been similar. But thinking about it this would explain the noticeably stepped up higher pitch target responses of those within that Nox range when using multi-tones. On the other hand there doesn't seem to be too much TID separation at the lower end. These are just my own observations so far, but maybe you can relate or expand on them? x;

Edit: Other detector name removed to get this moved out of the 'General chat and sell' and back into the Nox forum. :D

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Re: Nox TID's.

Post by fred » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

Easylife wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 am
When I got my Nox 800 the shorter target number range compared to another more familiar detector took a bit of getting used to with it's very different TID's. But having both detectors meant that out of interest I could do a range of TID comparisons to better understand the Nox numbers. What I found was that Nox TID's below 20 have a more compressed range whilst those above 20 have a noticeably much wider range giving more of a top end spread than another detector - which was unexpected as I initially thought they would have been similar. But thinking about it this would explain the noticeably stepped up higher pitch target responses of those within that Nox range when using multi-tones. On the other hand there doesn't seem to be too much TID separation at the lower end. These are just my own observations so far, but maybe you can relate or expand on them? x;

Edit: Other detector name removed to get this moved out of the 'General chat and sell' and back into the Nox forum. :D

Probably so Minelab can introduce the 'new' (an inevitably somewhat more expensive) Equinox with an improved TID with just a software tweak and adding some more divisions to the horseshoe! Or am I just being cynical. :D

In fairness I would actually point out that there is no guarantee that the Detector that you are comparing it with has even graduations either. It may already have tightened up the graduations at the top to narrow down the IDs. Because the sound and visual displays are ultimately controlled by software it would be possible to place anything anywhere. In some situations it might even make sense to group junk or good targets together. ::g

Fortunately although I do use tend to glance at the TID for some targets, especially when coinshooting on beaches, it is a very small part of the decision whether to dig or not.

Anyway it's a lovely morning here so maybe I will go and do a field somewhere for the first time in several weeks. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:11 am

Few detectors have anything like 'even' graduations. If they did, the 'mid-range' would be quite large, the 'top-end' (milled silver/copper coins) would be very squashed, the 'bottom-end' (foil, thin gold rings, etc) similarly compressed.
The popularity of US coin-shooting means the top end is normally stretched out, so they can distinguish "zinc pennies, copper pennies, dimes and quarters". The mid-range is squashed up because the Yanks have no coins there.
However, as the Equinox covers a wide frequency range, it is capable of detecting targets over a wide spread of 'conductivities' , so if anything, it really should have a spread-out TID range, like 00 to 99, or even wider, in my opinion.
:(

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Go by tones, size and duration of the signal etc, the Nox has a rather compressed ID range at the lower end of the scale and I don't find it very useful inland. Personally I think Minelab missed a trick here as 1-99 is almost a standard with other manufacturers these days.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Ixoye wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 pm
They will wait until they have sold the 10,000 units, then release equinox1000 with the normal range :))

I would be very surprised if 10,000 hadn't been well exceeded by now. :D This week on the beaches I bumped into one Deus, one Minelab Quatro and two other Noxes. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”