So pleased with my 600.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
littleboot

So pleased with my 600.

Post by littleboot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Well I've been out with it for about 12 hours altogether . Mixture of old pasture, stubble, and freshly cultivated plough. Some areas I know to be very quiet and others trash infested. Not been on the beach yet but hopefully next week...
I am soooooooooo pleased with it. It's an absolute joy to use and I find the menu very easy to navigate. I like fuss free detecting and this gives it. (I have called it Tiny Clanger because of the sounds it makes. :D )
Someone told me (Ten Pence I think ::g ) that coming from the GMP I wouldn't have a problem and that has proved the case. I feel like I've had it for months!
I have found out a few things ....not to be lazy about ground balancing. Some of my fields were once smaller ones and each had different uses. So I found that the ground balance needed to be optimised a few times for best results. Noise cancel too. And of course they are a doddle to do anyway, so why not?
Another thing I have noticed is something I learned on the GMP and wondered if it also held good on this machine. Its the shape of the sounds. (Not the shape of the target in the ground, though that is also an important bit of info) What I mean is the profile of the sound. Two targets coming in at the same tone can still be very different in character. I have found that sometimes the Nox gets tricked by Iron and of course I am wary of loading up on Iron bias as you knock out some of the good stuff (and specifically the yellow stuff!). But there is a 'woolliness' around the edges of the sound if its trash.
Found my first bit of silver with it yesterday too.. a fragment of a Louis 14 4 sol piece and at a really good depth. So, onwards and upwards. The farmer is most obligingly re-rolling the back field prior to maize going in so I am out later for another pootle.
Wish I'd had the moolah to buy one a few months ago...I have so many sites I want to re-visit with it!

Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

sweepstick47

Re: So pleased with my 600.

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Keep on keeping on Littleboot. In most circumstances, you can't get too much of a good thing and It seems like you're well on the way to mastering it. Good to hear after hearing one or two negatives ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Cheers LB! ::g

I set up my 600 to mimic the GMP as much as possible, that means fast recovery speed and good audio iron discrimination, coming from the GMP you will already have well tuned ears and this means you can turn the iron bias off (increasing it masks some good targets close to iron) and still be able to figure out junk targets, and of course with the fastest recovery speed it will again help target separation which I find is more important than outright depth.

A few other GMP/Equinox observations, I tried 50 tones initially and hated it, I searched in 5 tones for a week or so, but here is the thing, inland most targets come in at between 8-15, anything above 20 tends to be a high conductive George halfpenny/modern copper etc, in other words you will not hear all the multitones the machine has to offer as bigger targets are scarce, I'm now at the stage where I rarely look at the screen when searching in multitones, and I sometimes "guess" what the numbers are by tone alone, and of course you can figure out depth, size and even shape to some extent, very GMP like!

The only bug is pinpointing, a shallow target tends to be in the middle of the coil (and you hear that distinctive double blip on those shallow targets) deeper stuff can be problematic even if using the pinpoint mode, angled buttons or coins for example are sometimes "off" by five or six inches, dare I say it? This is when a dedicated pinpointer is handy! :))

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Very wise advice TP and I will certainly get a grip of the 50 tones. I noticed what you say about the range of most targets and need to seperate them more precisely sound wise. ::g
Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

The only bug is pinpointing, a shallow target tends to be in the middle of the coil (and you hear that distinctive double blip on those shallow targets) deeper stuff can be problematic even if using the pinpoint mode, angled buttons or coins for example are sometimes "off" by five or six inches, dare I say it? This is when a dedicated pinpointer is handy! :))
Dear me....I am going to have to work round that one somehow because if I buy one Oxgirl will laugh at me. :))
I have found that iron tends to be often showing up off centre.

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Good to hear you are enjoying it ::g ::g ::g

ploughchaser

Post by ploughchaser » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Good luck with it LB 👍

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Nice to hear such positivity, if you are at one with your machine and are confident with it, it is key to having good detecting days knowing if it is there you will find it.

If you doubt the abilities of the machine or yourself it can take the enjoyment out of the equation which is not good

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm

I have had mine for a month now and I love it. It was very different coming from a Fisher F22 but I am quickly getting used to it. I have been out this morning and found a couple of coins a buckle, button etc. The transition to Bluetooth headphones has made a massive difference, no more snagging the lead in brambles etc.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Very interesting Jan, I must admit I think I might try a Nox, my brother has one but we don't get together so often, will have to arrange a meet with him though, I jus imagine it punching a little deeper than what I use :D ::g

fred

Post by fred » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

I set up my 600 to mimic the GMP as much as possible, that means fast recovery speed and good audio iron discrimination, coming from the GMP you will already have well tuned ears and this means you can turn the iron bias off (increasing it masks some good targets close to iron) and still be able to figure out junk targets, and of course with the fastest recovery speed it will again help target separation which I find is more important than outright depth.

A few other GMP/Equinox observations, I tried 50 tones initially and hated it, I searched in 5 tones for a week or so, but here is the thing, inland most targets come in at between 8-15, anything above 20 tends to be a high conductive George halfpenny/modern copper etc, in other words you will not hear all the multitones the machine has to offer as bigger targets are scarce, I'm now at the stage where I rarely look at the screen when searching in multitones, and I sometimes "guess" what the numbers are by tone alone, and of course you can figure out depth, size and even shape to some extent, very GMP like!

Well done littleboot, I really am so pleased for you. After 12 hours use you are doing well and, as I keep saying, it will get better. I am now going back over the ground that I Noxed to death over the first few months that i had it and still getting decent finds, mostly at impressive depths. ::g

I have recently been experimenting with low Iron Bias after tenpence suggested it (thanks ::g ). To get the best results it means modifying your detecting technique a bit but it has produced some great finds for me. I would only suggest trying it when you feel that you have got the hang of the Nox with a slightly easier programme though.

I am very confused about why the pinpointing should be so far out. For me it is absolutely spot on with the stock coil and perhaps an inch or two out with the 15 inch one. How exactly are you pinpointing?
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm

Quote littleboot,..." This is when a dedicated pinpointer is handy! ".

Is that a sort of reassessment of " I Hate Pinpointers!!!!!!!!! " :))

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Sounds very good, Jan. ::g I might just have to get one...see what all the fuss is about! :D

Cheers ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

fred

Post by fred » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 pm

alloverover wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Very interesting Jan, I must admit I think I might try a Nox, my brother has one but we don't get together so often, will have to arrange a meet with him though, I jus imagine it punching a little deeper than what I use :D ::g

It is a deep machine but more importantly it seems to hit targets that, for whatever reason, other detectors wrongly ID as iron or simply miss. :D
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Bors wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm

You are mis-quoting me ....it was Ten Pence who said that. :D I see no reason to renege on my assertion at this stage.

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:52 pm

littleboot wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm
Bors wrote:

You are mis-quoting me ....it was Ten Pence who said that. :D I see no reason to renege on my assertion at this stage.
Ooops you are so right ,I am indeed mis quoting you . My apologies ::g :))

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 pm

littleboot wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm
Bors wrote:

You are being a stubborn woman ;)) . I was on pasture the other day. Dug a nice deep but narrow hole. Dug out another big spade full. Could have carried on. Pin pointer found it instantly bottom left. Small trowel had it out in 10 seconds.

Not detecting pasture then fine but in pasture it’s essential >:P And reduces the risk of damaging the find.

On your Equinox, really, really glad you love it. The GMP is a mighty bit of kit but it's old technology. The newer machines are so much more sophisticated and easy to use straight away. To get the best from them you still need to do adjustments but a lot of the work has been done for you. Even Blackadder has succumbed to the lure of an Equinox (despite his love of the Etrac). Enjoy it Jan - you’ll be a super user in no time I’m sure ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 pm
alloverover wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm

It is a deep machine but more importantly it seems to hit targets that, for whatever reason, other detectors wrongly ID as iron or simply miss. :D
As Fred will verify , I was VERY reluctant to get an 800. I sat on that fence like a Crow with severe constipation wrangling for ages as to whether to get one or not till finally Fred came behind me and gave me an almighty push . I took the plunge.
I can honestly say I have taken to it like a Duck to water and feel that confident with it now I`m having no problems using it whatsoever. I have sussed out all the settings after various users have tutored me in it , and so nothing, I`m glad to report is troubling me .
My conclusion is I really Like it and in a way I`m now starting to feel I`m Cheating on my long running partner , my F75 . So now I`ve decided to be a practicer of polygyny. :))

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:05 am

Allectus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm
Sounds very good, Jan. ::g I might just have to get one...see what all the fuss is about! :D

Cheers ::g

A ;)
Do it ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”