Out for 4 hours yesterday

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bors
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 pm

A few finds for my Four hour slog , my Back is now killing me. :))

Tried to put a few more in but ran out of allowance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
Stillburning
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 am
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 514 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Stillburning » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Nice selection of finds ::g

Very nice weight, what is the coin/token at the top?
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 2551
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 658 times
Been thanked: 1342 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by littleboot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Worth it though Bors,
Is that a harp on the mount?
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4047
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 2041 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Easylife » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Good selection. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

littleboot wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm
.0
Worth it though Bors,
Is that a harp on the mount?
I`d like to think so Jan, but If I`m being honest I`m not sure .

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Stillburning wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Nice selection of finds ::g

Very nice weight, what is the coin/token at the top?
The coin is an 18th Century copper halfpenny token. These were issued by many companies and organisations, and there are some that feature the Prince of Wales, the future George IV.

The interesting thing about this piece is that George did not become Prince Regent until 1811. However, there was a "Regency Crisis" in 1788 but George III recovered before the Regency could be enacted. So it rather looks as though this token (or commemorative piece?) was struck in preparation for an event that didn't materialise.

The need for all this is that there was a massive shortage of copper coins from the mid-18th Century until Matthew Boulton created the machinery to strike the "cartwheels" of 1797. Tokens plugged this gap.
It is 25.5mm in diameter and dated 1789.

1 side ....1789 PRINCE REGENT -
the other side ....HE HOLDS IT FOR THE KING,

as I said I can`t add any more photo`s as I`ve used up my KB allowance (it seems)

User avatar
fred
Posts: 8630
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1564 times
Been thanked: 4554 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by fred » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Bors wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Stillburning wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Nice selection of finds ::g

Very nice weight, what is the coin/token at the top?
The coin is an 18th Century copper halfpenny token. These were issued by many companies and organisations, and there are some that feature the Prince of Wales, the future George IV.

The interesting thing about this piece is that George did not become Prince Regent until 1811. However, there was a "Regency Crisis" in 1788 but George III recovered before the Regency could be enacted. So it rather looks as though this token (or commemorative piece?) was struck in preparation for an event that didn't materialise.

The need for all this is that there was a massive shortage of copper coins from the mid-18th Century until Matthew Boulton created the machinery to strike the "cartwheels" of 1797. Tokens plugged this gap.
It is 25.5mm in diameter and dated 1789.

1 side ....1789 PRINCE REGENT -
the other side ....HE HOLDS IT FOR THE KING,

as I said I can`t add any more photo`s as I`ve used up my KB allowance (it seems)

Great finds. ::g I presume that you are still reasonably happy? :D

What scale have you used for the token? It looks to be about 15mm across and doesn't really look like a token halfpenny either. Anyway here it, or one very like it, is. :D

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ken_do ... fault.aspx
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Out for 4 hours yesterday

Post by Bors » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Bors wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Stillburning wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Nice selection of finds ::g

Very nice weight, what is the coin/token at the top?
The coin is an 18th Century copper halfpenny token. These were issued by many companies and organisations, and there are some that feature the Prince of Wales, the future George IV.

The interesting thing about this piece is that George did not become Prince Regent until 1811. However, there was a "Regency Crisis" in 1788 but George III recovered before the Regency could be enacted. So it rather looks as though this token (or commemorative piece?) was struck in preparation for an event that didn't materialise.

The need for all this is that there was a massive shortage of copper coins from the mid-18th Century until Matthew Boulton created the machinery to strike the "cartwheels" of 1797. Tokens plugged this gap.
It is 25.5mm in diameter and dated 1789.
1 side ....1789 PRINCE REGENT -
the other side ....HE HOLDS IT FOR THE KING,

as I said I can`t add any more photo`s as I`ve used up my KB allowance (it seems)

Great finds. ::g I presume that you are still reasonably happy? :D

What scale have you used for the token? It looks to be about 15mm across and doesn't really look like a token halfpenny either. Anyway here it, or one very like it, is. :D

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ken_do ... fault.aspx
Yes still going well with it Fred . Ignore that scale I`ve just realised my Printer has gone doolally . it is as I pointed out in yellow hilite 25.5 mm. I just had a little voice goin through my head then of Hylda Baker saying, " Oooh I must get a little hand put on this watch " thinking about the printer. =))

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”