Two hammereds found today. A Henry 8th 1/2 groat & an Edward penny. But which one?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Mancave-man

Two hammereds found today. A Henry 8th 1/2 groat & an Edward penny. But which one?

Post by Mancave-man » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Hello to all. Managed three hours today with the Equinox 800 and found these two hammered coins. The first is a London mint Edward penny but I don't know which Edward and the other is I think a half groat of Henry the VIII.
The Edward penny gave a tiny little whisper and didn't register on the TID scale until it was out of the clod then gave a cracking 11 to 13.
The Henry was found in an area I have gone over many times before with my other machine (the lightweight french wireless one) and gave a broken signal until it too appeared in the spoil from about 8" then gave a loud and clear 13 to 15 signal.
It has also been the warmest day of the year so far and was registering 19.5' in the car on the way home. Lovely.
Anyway, if anyone can give me a definitive I.D. on the coins I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

M-m ::g ?£=*

PS, the Henry coin broke into three pieces when I got it home. Thats debased silver for you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allectus

Re: Two hammereds found today. A Henry 8th 1/2 groat & an Edward penny. But which one?

Post by Allectus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Yep, Henry VIII halfgroat & a class 4 Edward I penny fragment. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Mancave-man

Re: Two hammereds found today. A Henry 8th 1/2 groat & an Edward penny. But which one?

Post by Mancave-man » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Allectus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Yep, Henry VIII halfgroat & a class 4 Edward I penny fragment. ::g

A ;)
It's a good job we've got you. Thank you for the info.

Regards,

M-m ::g

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Great Henry portrait.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”