Newbie (and others) what do you want?.

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
IoD

Re: Newbie (and others) what do you want?.

Post by IoD » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

Really enjoyed being a part of the day and thankful to those who supported my being there.

This Topic post is perfect, in as much as the content of such days should reflect the 'wants and needs' of detectorists. Sure, in my view an archaeological, heritage, recording and conservational element is important but, the post by 'Kritika' forms a great basis to points of interest and importance for future events.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Some edits have been made to some posts
Can we keep on the topic of what newbies want or would like to see in a "Rally" please
Thanks
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue May 14, 2019 1:47 pm

@BlackAdder I like the idea of MDF webinar's or videos. ::g

I now expect you to introduce them in a 'Troy McClure' style of voice, by saying;
"Hi, I'm Blackadder, you might remember me from such videos as 'Do you dig it?', 'fill your hole in man' and 'does damp conditions truly give you deeper penetration'

Sorry, if you've never watched the Simpsons,,,, there's a WHOOOShhhh sound going over your head right now. :D :D

Agree with the previous suggestions from Blackadder and Kritika.
For me, not being a total noob, (still with plenty to learn), I didn't feel comfortable taking up a place from someone with a greater need. I know the basics now, but would have loved the chance to detect alongside a Deus expert.
I think the day should be all about the practical side of detecting. Like a skills-school, but for multiple brands / machines. The mentors should be able to assist with accurate pinpointing, correct target recovery and artifact preservation, hole digging and refill. They could also reinforce the rules around the law, H&S and the codes of conduct.
Andi
Edit. And Pizza, can't do these event without pizza.... and cake....chocolate cake
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 am
guide to spades, trowels, etc., practical clothing plus finds bags and what to bring with you. And then a simple guide to machine basics such as how to switch your machine on properly and other important stuff like that ::g
Just seen your brilliant beginners video in You Tube Oxgirl36, that’s the way to go, loved it.
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

Return to “Beginners Forum”