Partially reclaimed land.

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Metalmickey2359

Partially reclaimed land.

Post by Metalmickey2359 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I have been searching my first permission and coming up with complete crushed aluminium cans at about 6 to 9 inches along with some fairly modern finds at the same depth.
I started to think that the land had been reclaimed or levelled. I asked the owner if he knew anything about the history of this lower level area and he said that when a nearby facility had been built, the removed foundation soil had been used to raise and level this particular rough area to a height of up to 24 inches! My hunch had been confirmed. I was a little disappointed that this had been the case but whilst this has effectively buried any potentially older finds, the reclaimed land will still have rich targets.

On a positive note, this was only done in a small area and the rest of my permission has ancient farmland bordered by equally ancient main roadways.

Does anyone have experience of this and what were your success stories?

Mike

Nox 800 x2 (won one)
Carrot

Saffron

Re: Partially reclaimed land.

Post by Saffron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 pm

You never know with reclaimed land.

Heard of a dig a few years back where one person did a lot of research before hand and found that one area was an old quarry that had been filled in many years before. So he ignored that area.

After he found out that a lot of Roman coins and other bits had been found, all in the reclaimed quarry area!. Where they had got the final topsoil from must have been full of Romam stuff!!.

It would not be my first choice but never ignore it as it might be much better than the original land.

Evan

Metalmickey2359

Post by Metalmickey2359 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm

I know I’ll be OK for scrap ali! :D
Mike

Nox 800 x2 (won one)
Carrot

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:27 pm

The land I’m on at the moment has some areas where soil was dumped from the road edges in the field. Not sure about the area where I’m finding hammered coins but none are deep and if you dig anywhere in this field you are rewarded with handfuls of medieval glazed pottery.

The trees in the middle of the field are embedded with it in the trunks as they’ve grown through it. It’s a medieval pottery area so not surprising but it’s very distracting. I come back home with some every time, despite being very fussy about what I’ll keep; it has to be decorated and different than any I’ve already found.

Anyway what I’m saying is deposited finds on a field doesn’t mean there aren’t gems there. This field is positively teaming with it. Other fields might be spoilt by the addition of other layers - you’ll never know till you look ::g

Good luck and please report back :D
XP Deus !!£$

Hammered silver 2019 - 10 :D

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:01 am

When I first started detecting in earnest and doing some research and looking around I discovered that nearby was a rough area called Kingsmoor. Not sure how it got the name but I was told there was a Victorian dump on part of it and the ‘Travellers’ used another part for fairs, weddings and funeral gatherings. Oh yea, thought I, that’ll be good.
Had to get permission off the Village Committee, which was granted. But talking to an old resident he said he didn’t think I’d find much there because when the new main road was built tons of stuff from where they’d cut through a hill was dumped on the Travellers site.
Knowing this I compared the levels each side of the road and estimated one side was at least six or seven feet higher. The Vickie dump was completely overgrown and the lower part, which is original
Level is football and cricket pitches.
Did I detect any, no, so it was all a bit of a waste of time. I could see where it had come from, mostly bedrock, so I guessed I hadn’t missed much.
However ! A farm I visited brought in a few lorry loads of levelling from a building site to make a Ménage for their daughter. Before it was finished I detected that and found a few Vickie coppers and a lovely little silver brooch with ‘Baby’ engraved on it. Showed it to Mr Farmer who said his wife would love to see it, would I leave it for her. I never saw it again B|
Yours could be just as interesting if you know where it came from. Can’t hurt a quick go over ::g

Metalmickey2359

Post by Metalmickey2359 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 am

As I thought, even with this infill, I shall continue to detect this area. I’m going to search some of the original ground first and carry out a grid search to see if there any hotspots. I am a little restricted in what I can dig as most of the area is for sport. I don’t think they’ll like me digging up the cricket pitch! x;

Thank you all for your comments.
Mike

Nox 800 x2 (won one)
Carrot

dep1699

Post by dep1699 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am

In a similar place, surrender by extremely quiet pasture, I found my first hammered. It's hard to detect, but if you are prepared to dig a lot of rubbish good things may come out.

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:29 am

Areas where spoil from development areas has been spread are worth considering. Where does all the spoil from those football sized fields excavated for being of archaeological interest before development starts go. Much of that is never used on the new development and is shipped of site to be dumped elsewhere either as landfill cover or soil for reclamation and so on.

Some years ago a new field i had permission to search showed when ploughed loads of coconut shell fragments. I mentioned this to the farmer and he said that he had allowed a local builder/developer to dump spoil on the low spots to make the field easier to work. This has come from a small housing development in a nearby village where the local fair/circus had pitched up for decades.

I was straight back on there once the soil had weathered a bit and recovered over the years hundreds of pre-decimal coins going back to Victorian times. Lots of junck as well, but all good fun.

It has often been said that the dumping of archaeological excavation spoil off site is creating new "sites" for the future once all memory has gone of where the spoil was dumped.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 am

Its like anything else...you only know if you try. Areas with soil from elsewhere can be rich in finds...often because they have been extracted with mechanical means and then upended so that previously deep targets (beyond normal detecting depth) become accessible.
There has always been considerable speculation that the Staffordshire Hoard was the result of such disturbance when the road was built.
I found a very nice gold coin on a bridle path....it was most likely deposited with rubble and soil from elsewhere which was used to repair the surface.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Yes there is specualation with respect ot the finding of the Staffordshire Hoard after many others had searched the land over the previous years.

My lips are sealed on that one.

Return to “Permissions Forum”