ID Challenge No.17 (14-7 to 17-7-19)

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
thefiggis

ID Challenge No.17 (14-7 to 17-7-19)

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:56 pm

What ho,

Went out for a spin yesterday but had to cut it short due to Great Aunt having to retire injured. There's not enough meat on her to make spares for a budgie and the hard-baked ground proved too much for her scrawny frame, so after a few holes and a couple of displaced vertebrae, that was that ;;z

However, there was one decent find and here it is for your consideration. Just a couple of clarifying notes to go with the images of this partefact:

The wide (top) part has flat sides (images 1 & 2).
There is a slightly raised ridge running down the centre of the inside face (image 3)
While it's nearly all solid bronze, there is a white, crumbly infill in a portion of the top. The hole in the infill seems purpose-made and I only cleared out the dirt from it. It doesn't go all the way through (image 4).

Found on pasture at a depth of only a couple of inches. New permission, so no previous finds history.

I think I know what it is (which isn't what I first thought it was) and if you'd like to have a stab then you'll find the form HERE.

Don't forget, there's no limit on the number of guesses you can have (I've changed my own mind umpteen times on the thing). It's one of those items best held in the hand, but hopefully there's enough detail to enable a fair whack at it. Let me know by PM if there are any further images which you think might help.

The thread will be closed for entries after 5.00pm on Wednesday, 17th July. If I remember :D

Pip pip ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

thefiggis

Re: ID Challenge No.17 (14-7 to 17-7-19)

Post by thefiggis » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm

By way of bumpage, here is an image of my starter tonight ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:12 am

Flumps
DzTMSh5XgAAcFCj.jpg
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Flumps? Nevverrerdovvum, but I see what you did there ::g . Here, for no other reason than I'm nowhere near as subtle as you but I happen to like them, is a plate of whelks.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”