Equinox 600 scratchy Bluetooth headphones

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
heymikey

Equinox 600 scratchy Bluetooth headphones

Post by heymikey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm

I have just bought an Equinox 600 and Trond Bluetooth aptx low latency headphones. I have paired them up but there is a scratchy sound with all tones making them unusable. Has anyone else had this issue?

There is a review of the Trond phones saying they work great with the 600 and that’s what got me buying them.

They are definitely bluetoothed as low latency as there is a blue and green light on the headphones that tells you this. I have read of another 600 user with the same problem on another forum who ended up buying the Minelab phones. Another user had an early equinox that was fine but bought one recently that has the same issue.

If I have to but the Minelab phones I would prefer to just send it back and get an 800 as the cost difference won’t be worth having at that point!

The miccus phones seem to be like hens teeth and greatly inflated in price now too
Last edited by heymikey on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bargeman

Re: Equinox 600 scratchy Bluetooth headphones

Post by Bargeman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 pm

The price difference is really not that much when you consider what you get with the 800. Not only do you get the wireless headphones, but you also get the wireless module, and improved settings and programs.

I realise that some people are limited to a set budget, and I respect that, but if you can afford the increased cost then that really is the way to go.

Just my opinion, but it has worked for me. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

heymikey

Post by heymikey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks but the 600 should work fine with the headphones and if it did I would be very happy and saved £150. I see the benefit but after weighing it all up and talking to other owners the 600 sounds like the best option for me. If only Minelab didn’t charge an extortionate amount for their (miccus) headphones I would have just bought them in the first place

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm

I've been told that the Groov-e Motion headphones work nicely with the Equinox and they only cost around £25. For the price, it might be worth giving them a try and see if they work better for you?
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am

TheAndyA wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm
I've been told that the Groov-e Motion headphones work nicely with the Equinox and they only cost around £25. For the price, it might be worth giving them a try and see if they work better for you?
The Groove e motion sports headphones are superb - I have just bought a second set for £15 new. I also have a Trond aptx receiver which I use with the standard ML headphones - this will distort if the volume is set high on the 600, seems to overdrive the receiver, but fine if the volume is reduced a little.
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am

RossDG wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am
[
The Groove e motion sports headphones are superb - I have just bought a second set for £15 new. I

Are these low latency ie do the work via aptX LL? I've had a look at a couple of adverts, and this is not mentioned...

Also, are they water resistant enough to use in the rain?

Many thanks,

Peter
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:39 am

Pete E wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am
RossDG wrote:
[
The Groove e motion sports headphones are superb - I have just bought a second set for £15 new. I

Are these low latency ie do the work via aptX LL? I've had a look at a couple of adverts, and this is not mentioned...

Also, are they water resistant enough to use in the rain?

Many thanks,

Peter
Yes they are low latency - there is no lag that I can tell (I also record music using PC based DAW, so am VERY sensitive to audio lag [:) ).
They are rated as sweat proof I believe; I have used them in the rain, but generally put my hood up of it is raining so they are covered anyway.
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

RossDG wrote:
TheAndyA wrote:
The Groove e motion sports headphones are superb - I have just bought a second set for £15 new. I also have a Trond aptx receiver which I use with the standard ML headphones - this will distort if the volume is set high on the 600, seems to overdrive the receiver, but fine if the volume is reduced a little.
£15 is good, where did you get them from?
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:46 pm

TheAndyA wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm
RossDG wrote:
TheAndyA wrote:
£15 is good, where did you get them from?
First set was Tesco, new ones from ebay. They are usually £30, but on offer every so often.
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks Ross, just got some for £15!

Apologies if I've taken the thread slightly off topic.
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:19 am

It might sound daft but have you tried putting the headphones on the other way around?
I use wireless earbuds and if I put them on with the receiver side on the left ear (I hold the detector in my right hand) I sometimes get a signal interruption if the detector is on the ground or I'm digging.

Presumably I'm blocking the signal?

heymikey

Post by heymikey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:27 pm

It was third time lucky for me with Bluetooth headphones for the 600. First pair did sync but had a scratchy sound come through with every tone, second pair were very difficult to sync and in the end I couldn’t get them to sync at all, third pair work great, sync pretty quick, sound good, are low latency and over ear. Best of all only 29.99

I have had a pair from this manufacturer before and they still work well, those ones do work with the 600 but are not low latency but these are

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

I tried out the Groov-E Motion headphones yesterday and I can't say that I'd recommend them, they were noticeably laggy (there's no mention of Bluetooth aptX on the packaging) and they dropped connection on two occasions. I was detecting near power lines, but I don't know if that could have caused the connection drops.
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

rex123

Post by rex123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 pm

I'm using trond headphones, no problems whatsoever, the sound was very clear, I've only had 2 hours with them, and 5 with the 600 in total, but I did find even under power lines they were stable. Am out tomorrow on stubble so will let you know how I get on.

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 am

Slightly on topic, did you try pairing/connecting the first pair of headphones with another device, such as a mobile phone? It could be the headphones were faulty, rather than it being a Nox problem :)

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm

TheAndyA wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm
I tried out the Groov-E Motion headphones yesterday and I can't say that I'd recommend them, they were noticeably laggy (there's no mention of Bluetooth aptX on the packaging) and they dropped connection on two occasions. I was detecting near power lines, but I don't know if that could have caused the connection drops.
Interesting - no noticeable lag on the e motions I'm using, not at a slow swing anyway. Are yours definitely connecting on bluetooth + ?
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi Ross, yes they're connected via Bluetooth. I did re-connect them but no difference.
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:25 pm

RossDG wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm
TheAndyA wrote:
Interesting - no noticeable lag on the e motions I'm using, not at a slow swing anyway. Are yours definitely connecting on bluetooth + ?
I was thinking about buying a pair of these so have been exchanging PMs with Andy about this and as I understand it, although they pair up, the Low Latency symbol does not come up on the screen of the Nox....

Not sure whether the spec on the headphones has changed or the Nox is being a bit finicky?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Pete E wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:25 pm
RossDG wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm
TheAndyA wrote:
I was thinking about buying a pair of these so have been exchanging PMs with Andy about this and as I understand it, although they pair up, the Low Latency symbol does not come up on the screen of the Nox....

Not sure whether the spec on the headphones has changed or the Nox is being a bit finicky?
Hmm, not sure, maybe spec has changed, mine pair with the low latency symbol (+) present on screen. That said I do feel that the second pair I bought are not quite as good as the first, with some interference on ocassion - though not while swinging the detector!
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Just a point folks... a little bit of lag will not negatively impact on your finds rate. If a target is there, it's there! Your machine will still tell you; you may hear it a fraction of a second later, but it's still there, and you will find it :)

Conversely, having zero lag will not improve your finds rate.

Appreciate it's easier to pinpoint 'quickly' with smaller amounts of lag, but a bit longer lag won't stop you enjoying the power of the Nox and finding the goodies! ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”