Rodney Cook Rally Report

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Zyrbalax

Rodney Cook Rally Report

Post by Zyrbalax » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 am

Hi all,

So it's back to work for a rest for me after a thoroughly exhausting weekend near Bath with the Rodney Cook Charity Rally. I put in about 19 hours of detecting time all told across the Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday so I am now completely cream crackered!

I think there were 600 tickets sold for the event so it was well supported and over £30,000 raised for the RUH Cancer Unit so a great result for a great cause. The rally was impeccably organised - plenty of marshalls, fields clearly marked, facilities good. The weather was excellent, particularly Saturday which was warm and dry but mostly overcast.

The location was great - close to a Roman Road and Roman camp with a Saxon church just over the road. Over 3,000 acres I believe, none of it officially detected before, much of it nicely prepared for us (ploughed, disced and rolled), with some stubble and grass as well.

It was great to meet up briefly with Evan (Saffron) and Ian (Paint) from the forum and to meet many new faces too, the vast majority of whom were very friendly.

I don't know the final tally of finds but I understand on the Saturday over 50 hammered coins, several Roman and a sceat were found, as well as numerous other artefacts.

Sadly for me the finds were few and far between. Most of the ground was heavily mineralised and my Safari was giving a constant stream of "iron" grunts which made it extremely difficult to pick out the "real" signals. I switched to high trash, auto sensitivity which helped a little; and turning the machine on and off seemed to help temporarily too. A lot of the ground also suffered from green waste, so my finds bag was mostly can-slaw.

Others at the event commented on both these things, so it wasn't just me! If anyone with more experience can give advice on other things I could try on heavy mineralised soil that would be very welcome. For instance, would switching to a smaller coil have helped?

I did manage to pick out an 1816 George III Sixpence, plus a few buttons, a spoon handle with maker's mark (not silver), a toasted halfpenny and a broken buckle... the sixpence was very welcome!

So socially and charitably an excellent weekend; but for me at least the detecting was disappointing. I look forward to reading others experiences too ::g

Zyrbalax / Ian

Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Rodney Cook Rally Report

Post by liamnolan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Ian, sorry to hear the dreaded green waste spoiled things for you, its happened to me before and its terrible as you cannot trust the signals. Pleased the weather held out at least and that you met up with some MDF members, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

johnboy25

Post by johnboy25 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

A very well organised event with lots of land and good weather. Not lucky on the finds front but had a great walk about.Thank you all 👍.
John

JBM

Post by JBM » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 am

I was grounded, but so pleased that a very good friend found gold. ::g Happy Hunting Jerry.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 am

I only managed to meet up with Telstar - an absolute gentleman, and scholar. I hung around the food trucks / tables on the Sunday after the raffle, but didn’t see any of you chaps.
For me, the Saturday was the most tiring day, my back was killing me from picking up the bits of aluminium off the surface..... I must have removed 3 kilo of the stuff... but I consider it my good deed for the weekend.
I was surprised with the number of people not filling in holes or simply leaving the crud they’d dug on the surface or worse in the hole. The other disappointment was the theft. Some people are beyond belief.
I did find a hammered on the Saturday - a Henry viii groat - nicely worn. I also had a nice 1922 Florin - silver is silver.
Sunday was a better day, the fields were much quieter - the only real waste was near the road as expected. I didn’t spend much time near the church side, the stubble was hard going and the Nox machines caused too much interference to my Dues. I also found a hammered on the Sunday - Charles I - Edit - now I've looked - James not Charles. sixpence - so pleased with that’s. Pictures to follow.
Other than that, nothing too exciting surfaced for me.
To top off the weekend, I won a Garrett wireless pinpointer kit on the raffle. :D :D
I agree with the mineralisation, on the Dues I reduced the GB to 80, and probably could have gone a bit lower as well.
Turning up at the hotel to be told I didn’t have a booking was a shock, but then I realised the satNav had taken me to the wrong side of the motorway services...
Al in all, a great weekend and I look forward to the next RC dig is 2 weeks time.

Shame we didn’t all meet up. Maybe we need a MDF flag to fly?

Andi
Last edited by shaggybfc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am

shaggybfc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 am
I only managed to meet up with Telstar - an absolute gentleman, and scholar. I hung around the food trucks / tables on the Sunday after the raffle, but didn’t see any of you chaps.
For me, the Saturday was the most tiring day, my back was killing me from picking up the bits of aluminium off the surface..... I must have removed 3 kilo of the stuff... but I consider it my good deed for the weekend.
I was surprised with the number of people not filling in holes or simply leaving the crud they’d dug on the surface or worse in the hole. The other disappointment was the theft. Some people are beyond belief.
I did find a hammered on the Saturday - a Henry viii groat - nicely worn. I also had a nice 1922 Florin - silver is silver.
Sunday was a better day, the fields were much quieter - the only real waste was near the road as expected. I didn’t spend much time near the church side, the stubble was hard going and the Nox machines caused too much interference to my Dues. I also found a hammered on the Sunday - Charles I sixpence - so pleased with that’s. Pictures to follow.
Other than that, nothing too exciting surfaced for me.
To top off the weekend, I won a Garrett wireless pinpointer kit on the raffle. :D :D
I agree with the mineralisation, on the Dues I reduced the GB to 80, and probably could have gone a bit lower as well.
Turning up at the hotel to be told I didn’t have a booking was a shock, but then I realised the satNav had taken me to the wrong side of the motorway services...
Al in all, a great weekend and I look forward to the next RC dig is 2 weeks time.

Shame we didn’t all meet up. Maybe we need a MDF flag to fly?

Andi
Well done Andi, sounds like you did very well! Sorry to have missed you and Telstar, we certainly need some form of MDF identification - perhaps we should all wear carnations in our buttonholes?!

Z / Ian
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Photos as promised.
I do like the Charles I EDIT -James not Charles - once straightened, it will look great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shaggybfc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Attended the rally yesterday ( Sunday ) only. Not a straight forward drive from Bournemouth, up thru Warminster, even managed to drive thru Pennsylvania :-/ , don`t even have a passport.
Attended the briefing and set off with the masses, felt like I was on the Peasants protest march, except we had spades and detectors, rather than pitchforks and sickles.
Given a map of fields, looked like an abundance of opportunities.
First find some squashed lead, ok with that, little did I realise it would virtually be the highlight.
Field 16, only find into 21 pasture ground was rock hard, walked off that one and into 24 stubble, found a piece of possible shrapnel, has US / AND 9/40 below that.
Went into 20, at the end of the run found a knackered 2p. Had a Polish ? guy came up showed me a Lincoln Cent or Dime, possible candle snuffer and a Fossil.
Went into 25 ploughed field, never done ploughed hardly any signals, lots of plastic, worked my way round in a square.
Interesting bit for me, passing the copse noticed a path and the corner of an old building ( Air shaft ) did not detect but could have been worthwhile.
Rolled up at food place at 1.30, did not see any MDF placards, perhaps we need some MDF T shirts. One person earlier would have won a prize.
Could have left there and then, ground too hard, finds too few but went back into17 for another hour, nothing there.
5 Hrs detecting 25 finds and nothing to research. I know they`re Agricultural but it looks like I found part of a Fork, Trowel and Hoe, probably broke off in the rock hard ground.
As per usual superbly Marshalled, sign posted.
Even given a red finds sack when leaving the site.
Looks like I had the worst day finds wise unless anyone else can prove me wrong.
These days happen, its the scales balancing after good sessions.
Cheers all ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Well persevered Dave. Re a MDF event, I would certainly support one if there is anyone on here who can provide some land for a one-day affair. I up to my neck with ECMD matters and travelling etc hence having to abandon Mods duties for a while, but we have enough time before Christmas for a run out to somewhere that has been tested for green waste etc. So if there is anyone reading who can help, then contact me and I can get it rolling along, we could maybe meet up the night before and have a good laugh and some drinks ::g Can be ANYWHERE in the UK.
Sorry for going off-topic. This event had all the ingredients except for the poor finds rate which is very hard to avoid and well done to the organisers and attendees who raised so much cash for a great cause, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

bymatt666

Post by bymatt666 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:26 pm

same for me , ground conditions very hard and Green Waste galore ! I was with the coachload of 31 detectorists there on saturday,,the best finds we had were ...one viccy sixpence and a Beehive thimble !

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm

T'was an unusual weekend - I booked for the whole weekend but left on Saturday afternoon and like many others my ears weren't good enough to navigate my way through the green waste and find anything interesting, so having paid my dues and bought raffle tickets I thought I'd done my bit for the charity and headed home with a view to going to a promising club dig on the Sunday. There were many excellent finds, but I didn't walk over any. Just one of those days.Well organised and excellent facilities as usual but I did miss Nigel (Foodie Doodies) -Saturday breakfast for me was a bacon and egg bap with one rasher of pre-cooked bacon and a crusty overcooked egg in a stale bun for £3.50 - wasn't impressed with that! Looks like the site was raided on Saturday night and a couple of generators were stolen - there are some sick people about. Enough of the negatives - was good to see Evan and a couple of others and the amount raised for the charity is amazing and made it all worthwhile :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:13 am

My mate went up n the Friday, I was due to be there for the Saturday and Sunday until I got a call from him on Friday night telling me about the green waste, I decided not to go, and went to a new permission in Dorset instead. 3x durotrigan staters, 2x Roman and and half cut Henry 3rd penny, and two very nice lead bag seals. My mate ended up with a George 3rd sixpence.
However I am pleased so much money was raised for the RC charity👍

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Fantastic result! Can you post up some pics of the staters you found? Cheers, Liam

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Only just seen this thread.

Good to meet several faces I know from the form and have met previously.
Sorry X 2, firstly to Shagybfc (well done on the hammy) but did not make it back to the food area on Sunday as was much too far away when I realised the time, secondly to phil as you did not win a raffle prize - right number once but wrong colour once!.

Excellent organisation as last year, with lots of friendly and helpful marshals / helpers.

Re the green waste on Saturday (Sundays fields did not have any), in fairness to all involved this was a surprise everybody, the current farm owners had only had these fields for about 4 years and this had been spread on the land before they purchased it and they were not aware of it. We were also given extra land on Sunday to help compensate (but there was already plenty).

Lots said about the mineralisation, and it was a nightmare with my Nox and I had to turn the sensitivity way down. But one person made a very interesting comment that I would like to follow up on, but will start a new thread and link to it as I feel it deserves a thread in its own right and will take this one off topic.

I would like to say a massive "Thank you" to the farmers as the bulk of the fields had been disked and rolled and were perfect for detecting - I am sure some of this would have been done purely for the rally.

The last figure I heard was £34,000 raised for the charity - a fantastic sum, very well done to all involved.

As for the "scumbags" (organisers word - mine would have been stronger and not allowed on the forum) that stole the generators all I can say is that I hope you were caught on the CCTV and the police find you.

Regarding finds a lot of detectorists found nothing but there were some nice finds made by others. But what was unusual was the near lack of "normal" finds such as Georgian / Victorian coppers, buckles and even buttons which several commented on.

Sadly my only find was a "1811 penny", which will clean up on the one side to be mainly readable without too much trouble ..... but having looked in Spinks its NOT a George III penny or 1/2 penny. 1811 is clearly readable and a shield can be clearly seen so I need to investigate! :-/ :-/

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Here is the link to my thread about the mineralisation
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=114508

Evan

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:45 am

just watched youtube on the event looked a fantastic few days,amazing organisation and a huge success ,amazing amount raised for a fantastic charity,i will try to make sure to attend next year as the charity is amazing ,sadly the scumbags who stole at the the event will probably be the same ones going to the charity at some point in there lives asking for help,main thing is it raised such a huge some of money for a great cause

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:00 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm
Fantastic result! Can you post up some pics of the staters you found? Cheers, Liam
Have tried uploading pic's, but with no success 😒

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm

devonlad wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:00 pm
liamnolan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm
Have tried uploading pic's, but with no success 😒
Its easy now chap
Just attach them the forum resizes them for you now ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Still no further forward, attached them to the forum how?
Thanks

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm

devonlad wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm
Still no further forward, attached them to the forum how?
Thanks
Too many buttons for me as at first attempt hit "Thanks" rather than "quote" rl; B|

But to add photo just go to "Post Reply" to post as normal (or if new subject "New topic").

Then below the bit you edit is a tab "Attachments" click on that, I then normally click on "Add files" which will bring up a window showing your files and you just select the one you want to add.
The forum software was upgraded a bit back and should now resize the picture for you.

Evan

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

IMG_20190916_124704.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm

WoopWoop!!
All done, thanks Evan👍

Return to “Rallies Forum”