In anticipation of finds. Updated.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Easylife

In anticipation of finds. Updated.

Post by Easylife » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 pm

After doing your research and gaining permission the anticipation of going on some new ground for the first time is fairly exciting in a way for most no doubt, like entering into the unknown maybe, especially if has not been or barely been detected before. Those of us lucky enough to already have our own permissions are usually quite content with them to an extent but you just can't beat the offer of some unfamiliar new land to detect on. Well who knows what could be there just waiting to be found? Something or nothing? Clean or contaminated? Well there's only one way to find out!
As it happens I gained such a permission and have been waiting for a rape crop to be cleared and flattened which it now has so I'll be giving it a bash tomorrow. My research identified a certain quite remote part of the field that looked to have had habitation and field-walking that area showed quite a lot of surface 17th/19th century pottery and some clay smoking pipes, so that will be my main area of focus. I'm just curious to see what metallic finds come up from that specific area which is also part of an even older relatively small freehold plot, and being in an area of Neolithic occupation adds extra possibilities of potential finds, but in reality I don't really expect to find any – but still would be very nice.
I naturally expect there to be a certain amount of iron present, which is fine. But if the night soil and shoddy didn't make it out that far then I will be a happier man with much less digging to do to get to the older targets. As said there's only one way to find out, will it be happiness or disappointment? I'll report back! :D ::g

Update.
I think the field had been disked by the look of it, it was good to walk on with not too many stalks left but the ground was rather dry. Using my usual set of of the Nox & 15” coil.

I knew that a club had been on the field once before so had not set my hopes too high, but speaking to the farmer he said they had been on it three times! Okay so it will be a bit more challenging then? Still it makes a change from my regular pasture.
Detecting across the field it was pretty quiet with just a few small lead blobs before I reached my chosen area. I gridded the pottery area for a couple of hours, and could hear that there was plenty of iron present but targets were few mainly very small but also one very deep crusty copper that is likely Georgian. I wandered about the whole field and it was pretty quiet and targets were few but still showed regular enough, but just nothing much good came up this visit.

A bag seal and a small lead handle.

The theme was mainly small.

Just below top left is part of some kind of knife.

It makes you wonder what has come off it before and the farmer has no idea either. So I showed the farmer my entire haul and informed him of some of his land's history that he was unaware of and he was quite keen for me to return any time. But the thing is that although there will still be some decent targets about they will be quite few so given the choice I would rather be on some more productive land instead. I'm not disappointed at all as it's just what it is, quite like one of my old club digs really =)) .
It was just a sunny day wandering on unfamiliar ground with the anticipation that the next target could be something good! :D
Last edited by Easylife on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Re: In anticipation of finds.

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:06 am

Best of luck Easy. Hope you find something nice ::g

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 am

good luck with new permission ,look forward to the pictures of the new finds (slightly jealous )

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am

Good luck Easy.

I've been fortunate this week - I saw the farmer who owns my regular permission by chance a couple of days ago, and out of the blue he told me of another field which I can have a look at. Hopefully tomorrow!

::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

fred

Post by fred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Best of luck. ::g As detectorists we become expert at bouncing back from shattered dreams and starting again with renewed optimism! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm
Best of luck. ::g As detectorists we become expert at bouncing back from shattered dreams and starting again with renewed optimism! :D

Yes, been there, done that. Quite a few times :D

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Ho yus, parking up at a new permission on the first morning is always filled with anticipation. It's somewhere new, and while there's every chance the place could be barren or full of green waste, the mind's eye never allows that thought to fully percolate because of course there are goodies to be had.

Best of luck and hope your hopes will be met, if not exceeded ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Easylife

Re: In anticipation of finds. Updated.

Post by Easylife » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 pm

u;@ Updated.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”