Modified Coin

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....


H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Post Reply
Ozadventure
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Modified Coin

Post by Ozadventure » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi,
Have this coin I’ve just acquired which looks like it has been modified in antiquity. Not sure if the coin is gold or guilded. The obverse has two silver loops soldered on the coin.

Not sure if the actual coin can be rescued from the loops or leave as is.
11E3DA07-5309-4206-A4E3-391AC5DF54F8.jpeg
55C0E9F4-89A5-4100-91AF-3D5B39155C7E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 2263
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2421 times
Been thanked: 1118 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by SuperRed » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I'd leave 'as is' Oz... all adds to the history of it and I can't see that being removed without ruining it.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

ninja nige
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: north norfolk
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by ninja nige » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

hi.
having seen this in my hand i think the coin is silver and has been coated or washed in gold finish.
on the back the face is still silver, interested to know more about the coin.
great bit of history.
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 27520
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 1029 times
Been thanked: 5303 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Allectus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm

3bc Nicole - London. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
alloverover
Posts: 11108
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 1352 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by alloverover » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm

That's very nice, leave it as it is mate, that is what it is, not just a coin anymore ::g

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2766
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 583 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by JBM » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Interesting artifact for sure.

How thick is it ?

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 248 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:20 pm

I think it's a much better find as it is ::g

Also, having been modified so as to remove it from circulation, I suspect it might fall under the Treasure Act.

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 348 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Giz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Ozadventure wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi,
Have this coin I’ve just acquired which looks like it has been modified in antiquity. Not sure if the coin is gold or guilded. The obverse has two silver loops soldered on the coin.

Not sure if the actual coin can be rescued from the loops or leave as is.

11E3DA07-5309-4206-A4E3-391AC5DF54F8.jpeg

55C0E9F4-89A5-4100-91AF-3D5B39155C7E.jpeg
Its a one off, bit like yerself Rick :D , if I was lucky enough to find it I'd leave it as it is. Hope you can bring it to the next meeting, will be interested in Graham's thoughts. ::g
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

User avatar
dig-dog
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by dig-dog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 pm

That’s a very special find.
Your FLO will be very interested ::g

DD.
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

User avatar
TheAndyA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:01 pm
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 251 times
Contact:

Re: Modified Coin

Post by TheAndyA » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:38 pm

That's a very interesting find, so much more personal than the standard coin finds. Congratulations. ::g
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

peteh
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by peteh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm

That is a very cool find h;@
Equinox, T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10199
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2264 times
Been thanked: 5942 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by fred » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Modifying coins to make a brooch seems to have been pretty common. The coin was in cracking condition when it was chosen. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10680
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4323 times
Been thanked: 4814 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Beautiful coin and it is a treasure item so you’ll need to declare it ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

User avatar
alloverover
Posts: 11108
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 1352 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by alloverover » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Giz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm
Ozadventure wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi,
Have this coin I’ve just acquired which looks like it has been modified in antiquity. Not sure if the coin is gold or guilded. The obverse has two silver loops soldered on the coin.

Not sure if the actual coin can be rescued from the loops or leave as is.

11E3DA07-5309-4206-A4E3-391AC5DF54F8.jpeg

55C0E9F4-89A5-4100-91AF-3D5B39155C7E.jpeg
Its a one off, bit like yerself Rick :D , if I was lucky enough to find it I'd leave it as it is. Hope you can bring it to the next meeting, will be interested in Graham's thoughts. ::g
That archi type guy whatever he is Wuntbedruv or similar would be interested, he said he had just written a paper on them the other day and they were fairly particular to Norfolk ::g

Edit, just checked on that and it was Jettons made into brooches he was talking about ::g

Nil
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Nil » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Look like it possibly made to be a seal of some type. Lovely coin/artefact :-L

jcmaloney
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 772 times
Been thanked: 408 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by jcmaloney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:00 pm

If it has been acquired rather than "found" what has Treasure got to do with it?

No findspot....

No landowner....

The ubiquitous "from an old collection" is used by many folk to avoid such complexity
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

ninja nige
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: north norfolk
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by ninja nige » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm

The detectorist who had this is now deceased. and it came from his collection.
many of his finds were in bags with numbers on and had been recorded.
this one was loose but may have been recorded by him.
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

ninja nige
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: north norfolk
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by ninja nige » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:20 pm

searching PAS. i found a coin treated the same way
KENT E4ED84 (Google that)
strange how the kings side of the coin is on the not seen side ??
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5470
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1526 times
Been thanked: 2943 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Easylife » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:35 pm

A great item that needs to be left as is. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ozadventure
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Ozadventure » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 am

jcmaloney wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:00 pm
If it has been acquired rather than "found" what has Treasure got to do with it?

No findspot....

No landowner....

The ubiquitous "from an old collection" is used by many folk to avoid such complexity
As per my previous post the item is from a deceased detectorist’s collection which I have acquired. The widow doesn’t know much but has given me photo albums so I know it was found in some mud 😉.
There are a multitude of recorded finds in the collection dating back to 2001, I’ll keep searching the PAS and as the finds courier for my club liaising with the FLO every month I have no issue with discussing the find with them, but as you say without the findspot or landowner it will be tricky.
Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

Ozadventure
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Ozadventure » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:53 am

ninja nige wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:20 pm
searching PAS. i found a coin treated the same way
KENT E4ED84 (Google that)
strange how the kings side of the coin is on the not seen side ??
nige
That’s very similar indeed Nige. I do remember Graham saying before about the kings side facing inward to be closer to the heart, so I believe you are correct.
Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

Ozadventure
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Ozadventure » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:55 am

I forgot to say it is in cracking condition 😊👌
Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

Ozadventure
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Norwich
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Ozadventure » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:12 am

JBM wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:52 pm
Interesting artifact for sure.

How thick is it ?

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
The normal thickness for a hammy
Rick
CTX3030
Equinox 800

Partner Nicole
Equinox 600

Dog, cat, teenager at home, daughter @ uni and no money :(

User avatar
Wuntbedruv
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Location: West Sussex
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Wuntbedruv » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 am

[/quote]

As per my previous post the item is from a deceased detectorist’s collection which I have acquired. The widow doesn’t know much but has given me photo albums so I know it was found in some mud 😉.
There are a multitude of recorded finds in the collection dating back to 2001, I’ll keep searching the PAS and as the finds courier for my club liaising with the FLO every month I have no issue with discussing the find with them, but as you say without the findspot or landowner it will be tricky.
[/quote]

Hi Oz,
that makes total sense. I would have a conversation with the FLO just to cover your back. If there is no known location or landowner then I think it unlikely to go through but always best to check. However, stuff that people have bought and then realised is Treasure (being known to have been found after 1997 but with no findspot details) has been put through the process as a legal formality. But you obviously know what you are doing!

WBD
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

User avatar
Wuntbedruv
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Location: West Sussex
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Modified Coin

Post by Wuntbedruv » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:33 am

alloverover wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Giz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm
Ozadventure wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi,
Have this coin I’ve just acquired which looks like it has been modified in antiquity. Not sure if the coin is gold or guilded. The obverse has two silver loops soldered on the coin.

Not sure if the actual coin can be rescued from the loops or leave as is.

11E3DA07-5309-4206-A4E3-391AC5DF54F8.jpeg

55C0E9F4-89A5-4100-91AF-3D5B39155C7E.jpeg
Its a one off, bit like yerself Rick :D , if I was lucky enough to find it I'd leave it as it is. Hope you can bring it to the next meeting, will be interested in Graham's thoughts. ::g
That archi type guy whatever he is Wuntbedruv or similar would be interested, he said he had just written a paper on them the other day and they were fairly particular to Norfolk ::g

Edit, just checked on that and it was Jettons made into brooches he was talking about ::g

Ex FLO ;)

Yes, jettons-but I do also have an interest in modified coins!
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”