Advice on cleaning delicate find

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Ferret man

Advice on cleaning delicate find

Post by Ferret man » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Been out today and found quite a few bits and bobs, one of them is really delicate and i would like to clean it up a bit so I can read the writing on it and then I can post a clearer pic for identification. I.ve only been into detecting for a few weeks so any advice on what to use and what not to use would be appreciated

Think it says St Luke's then underneath - something school and looks like date on it is maybe 1853.

Will put a pic of what it looks like now and then I will.read up on best way to take photos of finds for viewing and identification on here. Found the other item close to it not sure what it is though.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rambocantona

Re: Advice on cleaning delicate find

Post by Rambocantona » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 pm

I tend to only use White vinegar and salt for cleaning,
sometimes its easier to read wet,than dry,unless it cleans really well.
tried electrolosis,but got mixed results.
Hope this helps

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 pm

The round object does look like a medallion or maybe a key ring/identifying type disc
Sounds like it belonged to a school...
Good place to start your research into it
To be honest with cleaning something thats already fragile, then you need to either leave it as is, or just be very carefull with like water and a soft toothbrush etc...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:37 pm

The first item looks like a hinged belt piece - late 19th to early 20th century? Think nurses belt type. Could possibly be a wide bracelet too though I suppose :-/
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Ferret man

Post by Ferret man » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. Think I will just leave it and do some research on the bits I can read etc

Am just reading up on how to identify different metals etc. Have been out on a grass field today and really enjoyed it as didn't seem to be digging up as much trash and felt like I had a rough idea on what a couple of the tones were as it's a bit overwhelming when you are new to it.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:59 am

My preferred cleaning option with copper alloy is just to dry brush it, though need to be careful just to what degree as it can either greatly enhance it or totally destroy any detail, it just depends upon the metal composition and corrosion. You just have to assess each individual item as to what action you apply if any? I really try to avoid using water on any copper alloy as any detail can quickly oxidise away. You have to lose a few to learn. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am

hello, Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, let it dry out so no moisture on item and use some Renaissance wax but i would melt a small piece and use a soft toothbrush, let it dry and should stop any further corrosion

Ferret man

Post by Ferret man » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Was out at half six this morning and just got in. What a difference a couple of days make! A few.days ago just seemed to be finding loads of iron and bits of farm machinery so went back out after having
good day yesterday and think I have struck lucky on a field i have permission. Found around 20 to 30 coins a few really old ones, little round heavy lead balls got about 7 think they maybe musket balls, I've been looking forward to finding those and lots of what looks like some sort of cap. Have put a pic on here of them.

Down the other end of the field, i dug on a signal and found a broken gold signet ring and two old pound coins which I was happy with. Downside was when I was finding the old coins I found a lovely old shiny silver coin which my little lad managed to lose. I will be going back to find that lol. I also managed to lose the arm rest part off my new detector

I am going to get everything cleaned up a bit then will post some proper photos. Has anyone got any idea what sort of coin it is from the pic and from what time period lo
It looks like 1302 but can't see it properly yet and i haven't got a clue about dates etc so probably miles out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”