Simplex in the Field - User questions

All topics related to Makro / Nokta metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
Post Reply
mazdaman
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by mazdaman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I know I am being thick here but could a simplex user explain to me how the notch discrimination works..on most detectors you have a number you may feed into your machine say discrimination 25/30....but on the simplex manual it's says.move the coil over the metal you want to eliminate...if you have not found it how can you eliminate it...watched you tube on it but nothing really clear ..I have passed my coil over pieces of iron from scrap box but machine gives a cracking signal like any coin would.....help!!!!!



ninja nige
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: north norfolk
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Simplex in the Field

Post by ninja nige » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 pm

HI
follow the instructions for manual setting of disc as in the manual.
but the more you disc. the more depth you loose.
i dont see the point of it and only run the lowest disc on the kruzer
you can choose not to dig the low numbers and dodgy sounds just as easy as the machine can.
disc as low as poss, gain as high as poss. then learn over time what not to dig
cut half could come in at 10 upwards.
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

Merneo
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Beds
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Simplex in the Field

Post by Merneo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 am

MazdaMan

In any of the modes you can notch out as much or as little as you want ( except Beach as has first 15 notched out and chant change )

go in to settings

move to X/Tick symbol (4 In )
simplex 1.png
Then use the plus and minus you will see the numbers at the top of the screen

It moves the Cursor across numbers ( think you have work backwards )

when you at what you want notch Press confirm button

Repeat to do again

There is a video on you tube - where when you find some rubbish then you can by running coil over it notch it out in one go - Will try find and post

Added This

Nokta 2.png

you will want 2.67 and above Version as without it when you turn off will forgot what you notched

Hope that helps

Paul

Ps I am no expert Learning my self - so if I got any bits wrong - just help me out by correcting me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Merneo on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
Trowel and Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

NCMD Member

Merneo
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Beds
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Simplex in the Field

Post by Merneo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 am



About a minute + in

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
Trowel and Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

NCMD Member

PinkFloyd
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:45 am

Find a few bits of coke, see what number seems to come up more often .
Say 28 as an example ...notch out 27 28 29 .
Just check that desirable coins don’t fall in the same number range first though . ::g

Merneo
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Beds
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Merneo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Pink

Simplex has a limitation to its notching ability it can only be done in blocks of 5

you would have notch from 25 -30 in the one block

So might catch some targets you want

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
Trowel and Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

NCMD Member

PinkFloyd
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm

I’d test with cut quarters, cut halves Paul and see where’s it’s at .
::g

Merneo
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Beds
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Merneo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm

Pink

I wish had some to test lol new to detecting

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+

Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
Trowel and Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

NCMD Member

PinkFloyd
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:45 pm

They will come ::g

Hofling
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm
Location: Cambridge
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Hofling » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Merneo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm
Pink

I wish had some to test lol new to detecting

Paul
I have a suggestion:

take one penny and cut in half! :D


C.

Pete01
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Pete01 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 pm

I personally wouldn't bother notching out anything on the simplex as I don't think it's that sort of machine that you would benefit from in most situations in doing that!. As others have already mentioned- you can't notch out individual I.D's and have to take five out with each notch so you might find you eliminate too much and might miss some other targets. I found that having the first three segments for iron notched out as it is in beach mode (which you can't change) works ok and helps with more stable running on the beach but on soil I would just leave it wide open and go by the I.D values.

The simplex doean't appear to be designed/ programmed to lock on to a target I.D or to try to guess what the target might be and it gives you signals in what appears to be a raw way- it kind of tells you how it is!- which is a good thing I think as the more info you get the better. At first I thought the target I.D liked to jump around a bit but I then realised it's just quite sensitive to everything under the coil- so rather than maybe it being a bit unaccurate with I.D etc it might actually be very accurate in giving you an I.d for the main target plus all the other bits ot tiny metal surrounding the object and mineralisation etc. For instance I've had jumpy signals where it's offered three different I.D's for the same hole that were jumping around, and when I dug the hole I had three different but small targets!. As the manual explains the I.D of the target can give you an average of two different signals when they are close together- so if you have a target thats got a high value, and a target thats got a low value, then depending on how you swing the coil you might get a momnetary high I.D, then a low I.D and then a combination/ average of the two giving you a medium I.D value!- it's little nuances like this that I think can be really useful once you get to know how the Simplex interprets whats under the coil!.

On the beach I found sections that were contaminated with some type of hot rock (black shiny things) and they were giving me an I.D of 98 but a bit jumpy and also hitting I.D values in the 80's- the sound was accompanied with a fizzy type 'boing' sound as well which is something I've notice some of my other detectors doing when going over hot rocks etc. I was easily able to ignore these signals to save myself the hassle of digging them!- I initially dug a few to confirm and they sounded off at 98 and a bit jumpy etc in the air as well. I think some of the iron targets 'wrap around' the target I.D scale as well so any bits of big iron that may come through will often hit a value of 98 amongst the grunts and jumpy signals so theres another hint that the detector gives you once you get used to how it works. It's surprising how you can pick up on the nuances and still get the good targets out when encountering good signals in the same ranges though!. As an example I got some clear straight not jumpy 98 signals on the beach where I was ignoring the fizzy 98's and I thought that sounds different and it was an iron core penny- I had three more of those straight 98 and 97 signals and each time I dug those it was another one of those pennies!- I was quite surprised that the simplex could relay those sort of subtleties and that it's possbible to differentiate between those types of signals.

The other thing I noticed is that the Simplex will pick up the newer five pence and ten pence pieces that one of my other detectors doesn't like so the simplex appears to be quite good at eliminating iron yet doesn't miss much else in the process!. You will dig bottle caps with the simplex though especially initially if you don't want to miss other good signals becasue they can come in all over the place!- so it's pointless trying to notch those out!. After a bit of use you can start to get a good idea if the target may be a bottle cap but you cant be totally sure as some of them can come in with a clean signal!- again it's the simplex telling you how it is!- if theres a bit of rust on the bottle cap you will get the associated signal but it'll be mixed in with a good signal indicating the composition of the uncorroded metal in the bottle cap!- it's these sort of nuances that I find enjoyable about the simplex- but if you start to notch things out then you'll lose the infortmation that the detector is giving you!. Bare in mind also that the target I.D of an object will change depending on the depth of if and also the surounding soil/ sand conditions etc!- so even if you try to notch something out that will only work if the item is at a certain depth etc.

I can see why they designed the simplex to notch out five I.D's at the same time becasue the detector does jump around on the I.D's so in one way it would be pointless being able to notch out one I.D at a time anyway, but even with five I.D's notched out you'll still be able to get a signal on a target sometimes!. As an experiment try notching out a coin on the simplex when it's near the coil then wave the coin further away from the coil and you'll sometimes still get a good signal- or if you notch the coin out from the I.D obtained when it's further from the coil you might still get a signal when you wave the coil near the coil!- and thats with five I.D's notched out!. I think you're better off not notching out anything and learning the detectors nuances!. Also I would keep the iron volume on maximum for the same reasons!- let the detectoir tell you want it wants to say about what it's detecting and you'll soon start to get a feel for it!.

Hofling
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm
Location: Cambridge
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Hofling » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Pete01 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 pm
I personally wouldn't bother notching out anything on the simplex as I don't think it's that sort of machine that you would benefit from in most situations in doing that!. As others have already mentioned- you can't notch out individual I.D's and have to take five out with each notch so you might find you eliminate too much and might miss some other targets. I found that having the first three segments for iron notched out as it is in beach mode (which you can't change) works ok and helps with more stable running on the beach but on soil I would just leave it wide open and go by the I.D values.

The simplex doean't appear to be designed/ programmed to lock on to a target I.D or to try to guess what the target might be and it gives you signals in what appears to be a raw way- it kind of tells you how it is!- which is a good thing I think as the more info you get the better. At first I thought the target I.D liked to jump around a bit but I then realised it's just quite sensitive to everything under the coil- so rather than maybe it being a bit unaccurate with I.D etc it might actually be very accurate in giving you an I.d for the main target plus all the other bits ot tiny metal surrounding the object and mineralisation etc. For instance I've had jumpy signals where it's offered three different I.D's for the same hole that were jumping around, and when I dug the hole I had three different but small targets!. As the manual explains the I.D of the target can give you an average of two different signals when they are close together- so if you have a target thats got a high value, and a target thats got a low value, then depending on how you swing the coil you might get a momnetary high I.D, then a low I.D and then a combination/ average of the two giving you a medium I.D value!- it's little nuances like this that I think can be really useful once you get to know how the Simplex interprets whats under the coil!.

On the beach I found sections that were contaminated with some type of hot rock (black shiny things) and they were giving me an I.D of 98 but a bit jumpy and also hitting I.D values in the 80's- the sound was accompanied with a fizzy type 'boing' sound as well which is something I've notice some of my other detectors doing when going over hot rocks etc. I was easily able to ignore these signals to save myself the hassle of digging them!- I initially dug a few to confirm and they sounded off at 98 and a bit jumpy etc in the air as well. I think some of the iron targets 'wrap around' the target I.D scale as well so any bits of big iron that may come through will often hit a value of 98 amongst the grunts and jumpy signals so theres another hint that the detector gives you once you get used to how it works. It's surprising how you can pick up on the nuances and still get the good targets out when encountering good signals in the same ranges though!. As an example I got some clear straight not jumpy 98 signals on the beach where I was ignoring the fizzy 98's and I thought that sounds different and it was an iron core penny- I had three more of those straight 98 and 97 signals and each time I dug those it was another one of those pennies!- I was quite surprised that the simplex could relay those sort of subtleties and that it's possbible to differentiate between those types of signals.

The other thing I noticed is that the Simplex will pick up the newer five pence and ten pence pieces that one of my other detectors doesn't like so the simplex appears to be quite good at eliminating iron yet doesn't miss much else in the process!. You will dig bottle caps with the simplex though especially initially if you don't want to miss other good signals becasue they can come in all over the place!- so it's pointless trying to notch those out!. After a bit of use you can start to get a good idea if the target may be a bottle cap but you cant be totally sure as some of them can come in with a clean signal!- again it's the simplex telling you how it is!- if theres a bit of rust on the bottle cap you will get the associated signal but it'll be mixed in with a good signal indicating the composition of the uncorroded metal in the bottle cap!- it's these sort of nuances that I find enjoyable about the simplex- but if you start to notch things out then you'll lose the infortmation that the detector is giving you!. Bare in mind also that the target I.D of an object will change depending on the depth of if and also the surounding soil/ sand conditions etc!- so even if you try to notch something out that will only work if the item is at a certain depth etc.

I can see why they designed the simplex to notch out five I.D's at the same time becasue the detector does jump around on the I.D's so in one way it would be pointless being able to notch out one I.D at a time anyway, but even with five I.D's notched out you'll still be able to get a signal on a target sometimes!. As an experiment try notching out a coin on the simplex when it's near the coil then wave the coin further away from the coil and you'll sometimes still get a good signal- or if you notch the coin out from the I.D obtained when it's further from the coil you might still get a signal when you wave the coil near the coil!- and thats with five I.D's notched out!. I think you're better off not notching out anything and learning the detectors nuances!. Also I would keep the iron volume on maximum for the same reasons!- let the detectoir tell you want it wants to say about what it's detecting and you'll soon start to get a feel for it!.
Hi Pete,

thanks for the comprehensive review you just posted!
For me it was really useful, just to get used to the terms, since I just got a simplex and I haven't tried it yet. This inputs will all come handy when I start, and probably I'll find a lot of junk first, but will help me learning how the machine works and how it sounds.

Thanks!

Christian.

PinkFloyd
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Nice personal review Pete ::g

Pete01
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Simplex in the Field - User questions

Post by Pete01 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Hofling wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 pm
Pete01 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 pm
I personally wouldn't bother notching out anything on the simplex as I don't think it's that sort of machine that you would benefit from in most situations in doing that!. As others have already mentioned- you can't notch out individual I.D's and have to take five out with each notch so you might find you eliminate too much and might miss some other targets. I found that having the first three segments for iron notched out as it is in beach mode (which you can't change) works ok and helps with more stable running on the beach but on soil I would just leave it wide open and go by the I.D values.

The simplex doean't appear to be designed/ programmed to lock on to a target I.D or to try to guess what the target might be and it gives you signals in what appears to be a raw way- it kind of tells you how it is!- which is a good thing I think as the more info you get the better. At first I thought the target I.D liked to jump around a bit but I then realised it's just quite sensitive to everything under the coil- so rather than maybe it being a bit unaccurate with I.D etc it might actually be very accurate in giving you an I.d for the main target plus all the other bits ot tiny metal surrounding the object and mineralisation etc. For instance I've had jumpy signals where it's offered three different I.D's for the same hole that were jumping around, and when I dug the hole I had three different but small targets!. As the manual explains the I.D of the target can give you an average of two different signals when they are close together- so if you have a target thats got a high value, and a target thats got a low value, then depending on how you swing the coil you might get a momnetary high I.D, then a low I.D and then a combination/ average of the two giving you a medium I.D value!- it's little nuances like this that I think can be really useful once you get to know how the Simplex interprets whats under the coil!.

On the beach I found sections that were contaminated with some type of hot rock (black shiny things) and they were giving me an I.D of 98 but a bit jumpy and also hitting I.D values in the 80's- the sound was accompanied with a fizzy type 'boing' sound as well which is something I've notice some of my other detectors doing when going over hot rocks etc. I was easily able to ignore these signals to save myself the hassle of digging them!- I initially dug a few to confirm and they sounded off at 98 and a bit jumpy etc in the air as well. I think some of the iron targets 'wrap around' the target I.D scale as well so any bits of big iron that may come through will often hit a value of 98 amongst the grunts and jumpy signals so theres another hint that the detector gives you once you get used to how it works. It's surprising how you can pick up on the nuances and still get the good targets out when encountering good signals in the same ranges though!. As an example I got some clear straight not jumpy 98 signals on the beach where I was ignoring the fizzy 98's and I thought that sounds different and it was an iron core penny- I had three more of those straight 98 and 97 signals and each time I dug those it was another one of those pennies!- I was quite surprised that the simplex could relay those sort of subtleties and that it's possbible to differentiate between those types of signals.

The other thing I noticed is that the Simplex will pick up the newer five pence and ten pence pieces that one of my other detectors doesn't like so the simplex appears to be quite good at eliminating iron yet doesn't miss much else in the process!. You will dig bottle caps with the simplex though especially initially if you don't want to miss other good signals becasue they can come in all over the place!- so it's pointless trying to notch those out!. After a bit of use you can start to get a good idea if the target may be a bottle cap but you cant be totally sure as some of them can come in with a clean signal!- again it's the simplex telling you how it is!- if theres a bit of rust on the bottle cap you will get the associated signal but it'll be mixed in with a good signal indicating the composition of the uncorroded metal in the bottle cap!- it's these sort of nuances that I find enjoyable about the simplex- but if you start to notch things out then you'll lose the infortmation that the detector is giving you!. Bare in mind also that the target I.D of an object will change depending on the depth of if and also the surounding soil/ sand conditions etc!- so even if you try to notch something out that will only work if the item is at a certain depth etc.

I can see why they designed the simplex to notch out five I.D's at the same time becasue the detector does jump around on the I.D's so in one way it would be pointless being able to notch out one I.D at a time anyway, but even with five I.D's notched out you'll still be able to get a signal on a target sometimes!. As an experiment try notching out a coin on the simplex when it's near the coil then wave the coin further away from the coil and you'll sometimes still get a good signal- or if you notch the coin out from the I.D obtained when it's further from the coil you might still get a signal when you wave the coil near the coil!- and thats with five I.D's notched out!. I think you're better off not notching out anything and learning the detectors nuances!. Also I would keep the iron volume on maximum for the same reasons!- let the detectoir tell you want it wants to say about what it's detecting and you'll soon start to get a feel for it!.
Hi Pete,

thanks for the comprehensive review you just posted!
For me it was really useful, just to get used to the terms, since I just got a simplex and I haven't tried it yet. This inputs will all come handy when I start, and probably I'll find a lot of junk first, but will help me learning how the machine works and how it sounds.

Thanks!

Christian.
Thanks Christian, glad that you found it useful! :) I'm sure you'll enjoy using the Simplex and will find lots of good stuff with it!. It's a great detector, and it's one of those that I can see gainging a bit of a cult type status in the near future becasue of it's price to performance ratio!. HH! ::g

Post Reply

Return to “Nokta Makro Forum”