New to the hobby? Here’s a reality check

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
AndreRitter

Re: New to the hobby? Here’s a reality check

Post by AndreRitter »

I think I've found a way to combine detecting with another of my pastimes and I feel that will make the time easier.

Discovered last week that my chum who I enjoy a good cigar with also has a detector.

Ideal! Puffing away as we sweep (sorry) a field should be great.

mrs newt

Post by mrs newt »

The worrying thing is how many interesting historical items get thrown away by people in it for the wrong reasons ?

We've all found anonymous bits of mud covered metal, that with a clean and some research turn out to be interesting, but what of those who clearly have no interest in history ?

A friend told me of someone he knows who belongs to a club, who scraps crotal bells ! ;;z They are right up there on my wish list , and still not found one.
Garrett Ace 400i + Z-Lynk headphones. Garrett Pro pointer AT.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

I quite like some of the you tube channels but there are only a couple that I will watch and those are the ones without the razzmatazz , in fighting and hammy dances . Some do actually take the time to show you the reality of a typical dig , warts and all , the rest is just hype .
My advice for any newcomers and I still class myself as one , and that would be to join the forum and have a read of some of the posts like this one by Oxgirl for starters . I class my time out as a day in the countryside with a little bit of walking ,bending , digging and a pocket full of scrap ::g
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T »

It possibly comes down to the enjoyment from being out in the fresh air, hoping to find something of interest.....it is certainly not about getting rich as well pointed out, the only richness is the feel good factor of doing what you like on your terms and own pace, not being barked at by some boss or person in a higher position to tell you to crack on and produce the goods.

reality has been pointed out so well, many have days of nothing found other than scrap and bits of this and that

like any hobby or pursuit the equipment and what you need is going to cost, every athlete, weightlifter, fisherman, sports enthusiast or hobby / pursuit of any description will need equipment to follow their passion..............bottom line, not everyone wins the prize or reaches their goal, it all about taking part and enjoying the moment

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave »

Great post Cath.
Can`t really add anything to that.
Only thing I have ever tried to do, is to show a photo of ALL the metallic objects dug, which I know we all dig but may just be seen by a newcomer and gives a reality check, that there are not mountains of items with a monetary value in each field.
Lifetime detecting score:
Gold = zilch
Silver coins = 5
Silver item = 1
FLO recorded = 25
Hours of enjoyment and tranquility away from modern day life 100% and priceless.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

ratty

Post by ratty »

u;@ Nicely summed up, I still get a buzz on all digs waiting to see the find, it's great being an alt furzen. :))

geoman

Post by geoman »

Some excellent discussions and some home truths aired and myths busted.

I feel that the hobby press have not helped and looking at this months issues any new starters or those thinking about buying a detector, will think that everyday gold coins and artefacts almost jump out of the ground for you. Those with more experience know that this is a myth and as some have said manufacturers are there to sell machines and similarly the hobby magazine want to keep in business. Hence glittery stuff feeds the finds hungry and puts money in the company, dealers and owners pockets.

Back to reality having a couple of weeks off over the festive season i spent a good few hours out in the fields. Apart from an abundance of modern rubbish, shotties and general scrap items i found one RB bronze coin, a George halfpenny, brass three pence, 2 Euro cents, 1p, a pre-decimal penny and halfpenny and good deal of arm ache. So ended 2019 on a very low note. Bring in 2020 and two hours on one of the field searched before produced a silver shilling 1936 and hammered groat of Elizabeth 1st so the new year off to a good start and may it continue. However this tale goes to show that there is luck in what you find and the old case of having to go over it. So forget what others have found and how "lucky" they were and put in the graft and accept the situation is no easy ride.

Sorry no gold or hoards ,but an enjoyable time was had although a lot of worms were harmed in the process.
Last edited by geoman on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Holly88

Post by Holly88 »

I do it mainly to get out in the fresh air and exercise, there's something therapeutic about being in a field with your hands in the soil ;)) Metal detecting and mudlarking are really the only things that help my depression and anxiety at the moment, like a previous poster said, I have a stressful job and when I'm out on the field my head is completely in the game and all my worries and anxiety fades away. Also the excitement you get knowing your find is in the clod of soil in your hand and you are about to unearth it is unreal :D

Batman

Post by Batman »

All this is very true of course, I myself have 2 hammered for 10 years efforts but my passion for history is the driving force that motivates me to give it another go. I do get frustrated at times but when you do find a decent keeper it makes it all worthwhile :)

George L

Post by George L »

Don't be surprised if when you go out detecting in the middle of the year, you start detecting and find you are digging up detectors =))
Garrett AT Pro Detector
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Evolution Extreme Digging Blade
Dunlop Wellies :))

Polyspaston

Post by Polyspaston »

A big thank you to Oxgirl for starting such an entertaining thread.

I started detecting about 11 years ago. Since then I have found a lot of junk, some interesting things, some historically significant (to me that is) things, but nothing of real value. I certainly haven't bothered our clubs find table too much.

I have had days of fantastic weather and days when I was cold wet and muddy, sometimes all at once.

Have I made my fortune? ..no
Am I better off financially? ..no, in fact I am worse off from all the bits of kit which seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have however met some really nice people, and made some good friends along the way.

Am I richer through metal detecting? Most definitely

Happy New Year to you all.

targets

Post by targets »

too true since i moved from london and the thames foreshore my finds have fallen off a cliff for hammys in herefordshire which has plenty of history and castles but the locals must have been potless back in time and lost little
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

A lot of true stuff here. I frequently trudge miles for beep all. (Out here in the back of beyond I have fields where I am forever touching the coil with my spade to check that it is still functioning!)
However i would say that i am lucky to detect on undetected land all the time, It is like going back to the 70's with a modern machine.....something many of us dream of.
So I have found gold and silver in reasonable abundance .....though not as much as Fred ....but just wait till I hit those French beaches....lol
As OG says....you can only find what is there. Even if it IS there you will have to have a lot of patience to find it. And then double it. And still in all likelihood miss it.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Batman

Post by Batman »

littleboot wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:34 pm
A lot of true stuff here. I frequently trudge miles for beep all. (Out here in the back of beyond I have fields where I am forever touching the coil with my spade to check that it is still functioning!)
However i would say that i am lucky to detect on undetected land all the time, It is like going back to the 70's with a modern machine.....something many of us dream of.
So I have found gold and silver in reasonable abundance .....though not as much as Fred ....but just wait till I hit those French beaches....lol
As OG says....you can only find what is there. Even if it IS there you will have to have a lot of patience to find it. And then double it. And still in all likelihood miss it.
i think the analogy is "needle in a haystack" then x 10.

targets

Post by targets »

a mate of mine who moved to lincoln for good finds did well for ten years then all of a sudden his fields were picked clean and he cant find a thing..plus housing estates now cover his good fields..and too many clubs in the area are picking fields clean ,so he rarely goes out now and has virtually given up apart from the odd club dig but finds are few he says

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

If anyone can get past oxgirls reality check and do fancy ago and learn some tips and skills from some seasoned members of here then come along to the newbie day which has been posted on here by liamnolan viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115937
If you all want to dream of finding a big pot of treasure then dream it and get out there searching for it..
Primarily for newbies to learn but all is welcome any advise and tips anyone can bring along are welcome enjoy the hobby guys
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

targets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
a mate of mine who moved to lincoln for good finds did well for ten years then all of a sudden his fields were picked clean and he cant find a thing..plus housing estates now cover his good fields..and too many clubs in the area are picking fields clean ,so he rarely goes out now and has virtually given up apart from the odd club dig but finds are few he says
Good fields are still out there just the case of going out and finding them, I know a lot of clubs from different county’s come to Lincolnshire detecting which reduces places but there’s still plenty of land and farmers about, does your friend use this site ? I might be able to point him in the right direction for some land for him to detect
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

Another brilliant piece by Cathy , covering a most important topic , and a great bit of advice to newbies or wannabies to this hobby. Everything mentioned is true and correct but I would also add that many great hoards and finds have been made by newcomers to the hobby . They tend to dig up signals, which many of us have already sized up the odds and walked on, putting it down to deep or large iron or the dreaded beer tin .
My final thing is this hobby is a hobby of the impossible dream and many in this hobby would like to find a valuable hoard or find which would change our lives financially, life itself is all about hope in one form or another , without hope life has little meaning, and if to some, buying a detector is like buying a lottery ticket then why not , but I would say Cathys warning should be made into a leaflet and stuck to every newly sold detector :D :-* ::g ::g ::g
Last edited by lordofthecoils on Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeoJon

Post by GeoJon »

ninja nige wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:51 am
hi,
good post Oxgirl,

i have always said i would be far better of working in McDonalds compared to detecting.
it is a hobby first and foremost , if you cant spend 6 hours walking around the countryside and enjoy just that you need to look for another hobby.
we are all guilty for the rise in detectorists looking for land and having high hopes, due to the great finds posted on here daily. it only shows the best of thousands of hours collectively put in by hundreds of people.
i am lucky to live in the best part of the country and have land to go on. but i put in many hours to find 100 buttons 100 bits of lead and then a beaten up hammie.
detecting for the newbie should be looked at like supporting Norwich City. you will spend hundreds of hours travelling to and from games. spend money, enjoy a goal sometimes and once in your lifetime maybee win a trophy. Norwich could win the champions league next year. you could find something worth over 10k. Its more likely City will do it
but if you enjoy the sport of it and being outside fine.
want to make money. go to Australia and try the goldfields. ( but get a part time job in McDonalds to pay the rent)
nige

None of this thread applies to Mel, of course ;)
No time to detect anymore, but I still get to handle lots of stuff: www.timeless.gallery

targets

Post by targets »

Wardie94 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:43 pm
targets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
Good fields are still out there just the case of going out and finding them, I know a lot of clubs from different county’s come to Lincolnshire detecting which reduces places but there’s still plenty of land and farmers about, does your friend use this site ? I might be able to point him in the right direction for some land for him to detect
hes in 3 clubs but the distance to digs is putting him off at weekends

pengles

Post by pengles »

Oxgirl..Spot on with your observations. A lot of my fields have now been drilled, leaving me with a limited choice to look at. I have been concentrating on one that is proving to be quieter than a quiet thing having a nap on a quiet day. BUT, I will still spend more hours looking 'just in case'. It's just nice to be out in the fresh air with the anticipation that someone over the last couple of thousand years just might have dropped something, or an artefact has fallen off of a galloping Roman or Medieval horse rider, or even that every once in a while a coin might just turn up that is recognisable. That feeling you get when you pluck out a Roman or Hammy knowing that you're the first person to touch it for maybe five hundred or a thousand years never goes away for me. Does a quiet field put me off? No, it's far better to be out with my machine than watching daytime TV or similar.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Zig1pool1

Post by Zig1pool1 »

very informative saw few youtube video and got the impression every time go detecting get something know thios wont be case but out in fresh what is better then that

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

I’m rural, we get owls talking to each other on a night and foxes cross my path quite regularly on my fields,
I’m sure they know me , as nowadays they don’t run away soon as they spot me .

It’s amazing and heart warming everytime ::g

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD »

13 years of detecting, and I fully can confirm with all what has been written here.
There is solely one main factor: You need luck. The luck that there is something good in the ground, you cover it with your coil and get a signal from it, which calls you to dig it out and you decide to dig instead ot thinking "The same pulltab signal like the last 25, let it be").
I found one medieval gold coin (had to hand it over to German authorities without any finders fee due to federal countries law) in those 13 years - on a field, which gives basically no finds, not even trash.
Last summer I found my first silver coin hoard, even medieval (distributed by the plough over 80mx80m), currently around 700 pieces. Also handed over, so nothing to get rich here in Germany.
But provided to the historical legacy of our country.

Many boxes full of buttons, buckle pieces, musket balls and similar historical relics. Coins of low value. And of course I cleaned the landscape from so much rubbish in that time...

For getting rich is the beach robber part of me ;)
Last year I was also lucky and found 2 Gold rings and one Platinum ring, but there are many years, in which a silver ring is already the best find.
Made a total of 4500 Euro in coin over the years according to my Excel sheet, but this is with heavy detecting the beach during vacations and doesn't count the accumulated travel costs of one day trips. So enough that I can keep telling the better half that the hobby pays for itself.
Swapping pounds vs. finds. (In German: Pfunde gegen Funde). Doesn't really help, still overweight. :-O

So not truly rich.

What I got is the fresh air, walking around, some great friends, (more or less) interesting finds.
IMG_20200105_195741.jpg
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J8aah

Post by J8aah »

I'm not a serious dectorist but I do like doing it when I can. I've been doing it on and off for about 5 years now. The finds I've had so far are 3 x old hammered coins, a few ruined coins, several old British LSD coins, old soviet coins and a .50 cal bullet head (amour piercing) fired from a WW2 liberator!
One of the Soviet coins was silver. I've even found a counter fit silver soviet coin (made in antiquity) which had been silvered over bronze metal.
The 3 x hammered coins are 1 x Roman (I think) and two small Polish coins found in Old Sanjari in Ukraine dated 1661 and 1664. No Gold!
I have founds 100s of Vodka tops, ring pulls and old beer bottle tops for my sins !
What I have told myself is that you may not find anything valuable but you WILL find something very interesting if you keep at it. I recommend this hobby to older people as it will give you excercise without you getting bored. (Polish coins and faked Kopek coins attached for comments)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Beginners Forum”