Nox 800 or Sovereign for wet beach?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
werewhelk

Re: Nox 800 or Sovereign for wet beach?

Post by werewhelk »

Bors wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:14 am
I love my detector as much as I love My Mrs. But ,the main thing I love it has over the Mrs is,....
IT DOESN`T ARGUE BACK ! :D ::g
What settings are you using to stop it arguing? Mine won't shut up :)

Tim

Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 800

stejens

Post by stejens »

So I now have the Nox 800! :D Popped down to the beach for about 90 mins to give it a quick test using Fred's beginner settings in Beach 1 as advised...

At first I wondered if my arm was starting to ache (only because I'm so used to the Deus) but I soon adjusted and swung it fine no problems.
I did the noise cancellation mode which set itself at 8, and then immediately did it again to check accuracy and it set itself to -6! So not sure how accurate that is. Ground balanced it set as 8.

My first dig was a 15/16 and turned out to be a piece of tin can. The 2nd was also about 15/16 and was a deep 20p, so seemed to be the same range.
I was getting many many beeps and blips that where all mixed in with iron grunts, I left those.
Dug a few very erratic signals giving me all the numbers from 4-20 which turned out to be tiny pieces of aluminium blob.

Overall it felt nice to use on first impressions, I wasn't well equipped for the beach, it was shortly after high tide, the beach seemed the same level as the summer, and I had no hat, gloves, or deep digging tool, so cold crept in and frustration that my evo dagger had to dig deeper than what it was used too with the Deus (a good thing though i'm sure) :D It started to get dark, which I knew so had only put 2 hours on the parking.

Will be returning this morning, at tides lowest and with adequate gear for another run out. I have put my first dig on my YT channel if interested. Seems it will be a long learning curve but one that I am looking forward too. ::g
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot
Roughneck Micro Shovel / Evolution Dagger
Best finds: Lionheart Hammy - Medieval Seal Matrix - Gold/Silver Tudor Hat Pin.

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/stejens1 l;/

geoff

Post by geoff »

Check with others, but I thought beach 2 was the quieter setting over beach 1.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Bors

Post by Bors »

If you were competent with the Deus it won`t take you long to get into the Equinox. It all depends on your detecting knowledge on what settings do what ,and your knowledge on signal sounds.
Some people will struggle , others will pick it up pretty quickly.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

fred

Post by fred »

You seem to be doing everything right. ::g

Beach 1 is fine and don't worry about the the choice of channel (what you called noise cancel) as long as you are not picking up obvious interference. The real secret is getting the swing speed correct and learning to recognise the repeatable signals. As you get used to the machine you will learn to make fine adjustments to the settings which will stabilise it brilliantly.

Depending on the beach lots/some of the 'positives amongst iron' type signals will be modern clad coins, which have an iron core. Copper clad typically bounce between 14 and -6 and the 5p and 10p clads a bit different. Both types are a right pig to pinpoint so I gererally ignore them unless I am really bored or they are on the surface.

Just been out and taken about £20 off of a well hammered beach in less than 2 hours. Great fun and I didn't even get wet today! :D
Equinox 800 x2

stejens

Post by stejens »

fred wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am
You seem to be doing everything right. ::g

Beach 1 is fine and don't worry about the the choice of channel (what you called noise cancel) as long as you are not picking up obvious interference. The real secret is getting the swing speed correct and learning to recognise the repeatable signals. As you get used to the machine you will learn to make fine adjustments to the settings which will stabilise it brilliantly.

Depending on the beach lots/some of the 'positives amongst iron' type signals will be modern clad coins, which have an iron core. Copper clad typically bounce between 14 and -6 and the 5p and 10p clads a bit different. Both types are a right pig to pinpoint so I gererally ignore them unless I am really bored or they are on the surface.

Just been out and taken about £20 off of a well hammered beach in less than 2 hours. Great fun and I didn't even get wet today! :D
I envy your earnings! =)) My beach has always seemed to be a poor beach, not many coins come up, I did 3 hours this morning at low tide and my total was 80p. My best day last summer after 4 hours was £7.20 and that included a £3 coin spill ;))

Learnt a bit more though this morning, the machine doesn't really shut up, the majority of the time giving me little beeps and blips with plenty of iron grunting, but any worthy or diggable target is usually noticeable.

Also it sounded crazy a few times even when held in the air, so I think mobile phones play a major part, eventually put mine into aeroplane mode and that seemed to have cured it.

I was most impressed with the depth though, and recovery, so I planted my 9ct gold ring down about 9 inches (attached to fishing line) right next to the waters edge in the same hole as some minor iron grunting, and the Nox picked it up loud and clear with no problems. I believe it would of found it even deeper judging by how well and loud it picked it up at 9"! I was very surprised, and this definitely gives me confidence going forward. :D ::g
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:

stejens

Post by stejens »

Bors wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 am
If you were competent with the Deus it won`t take you long to get into the Equinox. It all depends on your detecting knowledge on what settings do what ,and your knowledge on signal sounds.
Semi competent! I've been very much 'turn on and go' in the past, and never really understood what all the waffle means. Going to try and learn this machine properly though and get to really understand the setting.
Some settings seem very straightforward into knowing what they do, it's how they all work together that get's my brain in a twist, and often than not have just got frustrated and returned to 'turn on and go' mode 8-}
Xp Deus & Nox 800
Garrett Carrot

Steve B-)

My YouTube Link:

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

It may be a plan, at least at first, to settle for 5 tones rather than 50. I find it much more peaceful in 5 to be honest. Otherwise my concentration blows a fuse quite quickly and I like to detect for a long tine at a stretch.
Of course you can easily up to 50 tones as you get used to it. I simply think that 5 is ample to start with.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

fred

Post by fred »

littleboot wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 am
It may be a plan, at least at first, to settle for 5 tones rather than 50. I find it much more peaceful in 5 to be honest. Otherwise my concentration blows a fuse quite quickly and I like to detect for a long tine at a stretch.
Of course you can easily up to 50 tones as you get used to it. I simply think that 5 is ample to start with.

I would always suggest using 50 tones if you can, especially if you are coin shooting on a beach.

Using a combination of sounds and numbers it is possible to identify with reasonable certainty most common coins and even some specific junk items. You can even get an idea about the shape of a target so it is possible, if you so wish, to confidently ignore things like bullet heads. I can now even tell the difference between copper nickel 10p pieces and 50p pieces, both of which come in at 14 or between old and new pound coins.

I am also very happy just to be on a beach, often a good thing when targets are scarce. For the sake of what remains of my sanity I tend to run silent now but if things do get hectic I amuse myself by guessing the targets and can now sometimes get right 20 or more on the trot. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors »

stejens wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
Bors wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 am
Semi competent! I've been very much 'turn on and go' in the past, and never really understood what all the waffle means. Going to try and learn this machine properly though and get to really understand the setting.
Some settings seem very straightforward into knowing what they do, it's how they all work together that get's my brain in a twist, and often than not have just got frustrated and returned to 'turn on and go' mode 8-}
Very true and if you really can it is worth getting to know what each setting does (ALL).
We humans on average do not like to have to learn when there's an "easy Option" such as in metal detecting the onboard User Modes that various detectors have, and if your quite happy just to stick to using them there`s no shame in that. Where the Crux comes into play is when some "fine-tuning" or quick adjustments really do benefit being made to assist in ultimate performance to the best settings possible . Ok its not always possible due to this that n the other reasons ,but lots of us go out and buy an expensive detector. Isn`t it a no brainer to use it to its full potential?
If not we might as well have bought a detector at a much cheaper price and not have the settings we paid for to be used if we have them as purely decorative use.
I guess then I could have thrown at me the old adage which says ," you never know what you missed until you find it ". which again is OK but I would rather attempt to be able to have the detector at its best performance I could put it in ,rather than detecting at half-cocked performance so to speak.
The Equinox is a pretty easy detector to learn but again ,knowing what does what ,is pretty much essential to know If anyone is truly interested in knowing how to use it correctly .
Hope you Gel with it anyway ! ::g :D

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

Point taken Fred but I still prefer 5 at all times :)) 50 drive me mad.
That said, it certainly helps that the French beaches i now detect have very little rubbish on them. Most signals are good stuff....a very few bottle tops but not much else of that ilk. So perhaps i am spoilt....
I feel like Hagrid....'I shouldn't have said that'.....because I want my beaches to be Fred-free... :)) .
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors »

littleboot wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm
Point taken Fred but I still prefer 5 at all times :)) 50 drive me mad.
That said, it certainly helps that the French beaches i now detect have very little rubbish on them. Most signals are good stuff....a very few bottle tops but not much else of that ilk. So perhaps i am spoilt....
I feel like Hagrid....'I shouldn't have said that'.....because I want my beaches to be Fred-free... :)) .
50 tones was never my preference either . I personally have always liked just two tones,be it on Equinox, Fisher f75 or whatever, I found it adequate for me and I wasn`t bothered about ID`ing before digging. It was simply, good target ,dig ,and out with it.The only difference with me is I don`t do beaches any more.But I do vari between 2 and 3 on the Anfibio .
Again my way is to apart from deciding if its a digger or not is ,once decided if its a yeh or ney, its then out with it ,or it stays there ,.The decisions made upon the combination of info from the Detector and your analysis of that info . We all develop our own little procedures which suit us best.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”