LCD Display on the Simplex

Discussion of the Nokta Makro Simplex metal detector here only.
Treas

LCD Display on the Simplex

Post by Treas »

Hi All,

I am a new member to the forum (indeed, this is my first post!).

I have tried my new Simplex on one dig so far and I am very impressed with it overall. Great depth and indicative tones. I have been detecting since the 1970's, off and on, but this is the first machine I have had with an LCD screen!! Well, here's the thing:

I have noticed, that there are some very slight 'bands' visible on the sides of the screen, especially when it is off, and when you view them at a tilted angle. x; x;

They are practically absent when the machine is on, and when the screen is viewed 'head on', or near 'head on' they are not present at all.

I have googled this to see if its a problem, and there is some information on the web to suggest they are an inherent characteristic of LCD screens (and are actually called Newton Rings) and are not a fault.

Rather than remain quizzical, I thought I would turn to my new community ::g :

Can some Simplex users confirm if these effects are apparent on their machines please, to put my mind at ease that it is a common characteristic and isn't something that is going to get worse.

Thank you in advance. :)

Treas

Bootneck45RM

Re: LCD Display on the Simplex

Post by Bootneck45RM »

Its mostly due to the minute (micron sized) gaps that are left between plastic or glass and plastic laminates. Think when you apply a glass protector screen to your cell phone and (not the bubbles) you see a similar effect.
Its variable in its effect and often depends on contruction quality and quality of materials used as well as quality control. The balance is between what a firm considers adequate and how much cost is applied to the finished product.
If you're happy to get along with it, fine, if not its doubtful you'll (personally) achieve much by complaining, but a nicely worded email to the firm may make them take note of your findings to the future and raise quality in that area for other purchasers.
Good luck 👍
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Treas

Post by Treas »

Hi Bootneck45RM,

Many thanks for your speedy and detailed reply. :)

As it does not effect the functionality at all, I am not overly concerned.

I would, however, be interested from other users of the Simplex if it is present on their machines too. Just so I can gauge if its just my machine, or if it can occur on these LCD screens in general.

Thanks again. :)

Treas

ratty

Post by ratty »

Had a look at mine and i have the stripe down the side and top depending on the viewing angle. I think what is visible is the l.c.d matrix
The effect is similar to looking through a Fresnel lens. or those fuzzy picture thingies that were in cereal packets in the 60's.. :)

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi Treas,

went to look in mine and I can't see those stripes when it is off.

But when I turn it on there are vertical lines running from top to bottom, which run on the margins of the sensitivity and depth signs. I had not noticed them before.

But i think this is all normal with LCDs, I wouldn't worry about them, as long as your machine works properly.

Have a nice weekend!

Christian.

Treas

Post by Treas »

Hi Ratty and Christian,

Many thanks for your valued replies. That's reassuring.

Yes, the kind of effect I am describing is very akin to the Fresnel Lens effect (it looks quite similar to those sheet Fresnel lenses that you can get). I don't know if its generated in the same way, but it sure looks similar aesthetically.
Also, those lines that you described Christian, I noticed on mine too - good to know.

Yep, as you say, its working very well, so no worries.

You all have a good weekend too. :)

Treas

Return to “Simplex Forum”