ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Possible Viking wolf tooth pendant. New photos added

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Spearhead

Possible Viking wolf tooth pendant. New photos added

Post by Spearhead »

Members may recall my post from a couple of days ago where I showed a tin of uncleaned finds that I intend to ration and gradually clean over the lock-down.
Anyway I picked out an interesting one to wash and look at.
This is what it turned out to be........
It's only small but it is really interesting. It is silver gilt, has a loop on the top and has a series of four, forked bearded human heads around it. Emerging from underneath and gripped by the heads is a tooth. Being a dog owner and lover the tooth is very similar to a dog's tooth. Because it has been given talismanic status by being mounted in a pendant I can only conclude that it is a wolf tooth. Similar ones dated to the Viking period Are known. The human heads,to my eyes,look right for the Viking period.
So unless you can point me in a different direction my ID of this is a Viking silver gilt wolf tooth pendant, probably 9th/ 10th century.
Not too far away, a couple of years ago, I found an Anglo Scandinavian stirrup terminal and also a stirrup strap mount of the same date so although they are very, very rare finds from these fields other finds from the Viking period have turned up in this area. I will email my FLO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spearhead on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 42 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”