Flint Scraper/Blade?

Only for the Discussion of Fossils and Stone Tools.
sweepstick47

Flint Scraper/Blade?

Post by sweepstick47 »

Is it or isn't it,? I'm leaving you to decide. ;)

To my way of thinking, If this was a by product of a larger piece being worked, there's little doubt in my mind, that it would have been simply 'touched-up' to the required standard and made ready for use as a scraper/cutter virtually as found.

I can see that there might well have been the odd glance around the 'knappings' once work had been completed, keeping a weather eye out for any salvageable 'small stuff' from which to make arrow heads or fish hooks perhaps. I'm actually leaning towards it being a naturally formed 'knapping' (if there is such an animal). Anyway, here it is for you to give your opinions.

Good Luck and thanks for taking a gander ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A disservice is no service at all.

fred

Re: Flint Scraper/Blade?

Post by fred »

Unclear but probably just as you describe - debitage. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Macroman

Post by Macroman »

Hemmm !!...a bit unsure...but probably a scraper...nice anyway..good hunting.. ::g

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy »

It’s hard to tell. I think it’s maybe the result of sharpening a larger tool and it’s the waste produced.
Who knows. Not all tools were snap on quality, it maybe a cheap made in Hong kong
Or China variety🤣
Flints are very hard to photograph to be able to show what you personally can see when its in your hand.
I found one a few weeks ago that looks like a oversized spear but not finished off enough to use, I’ll post it today. But again tried to photograph it but couldn’t get the desired result so gave up.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Yes I completely agree about the difficulties that exist when attempting to show maximum detail of some finds, not least of which, are the unwanted shadows created. Below is a recent thread which may offer a flexible and inexpensive solution to the problem, a portable 'ring light'.
It's something I'm definitely interested in giving a 'whirl'. ::g Regards ss47

Here
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Fossils & Stone Tools Forum”