Still no permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
jeff

Re: Still no permission

Post by jeff »

hi jimbo
i was in the same boat as you i knocked on a few doors only to be told the land around the farms did not belong to them,i did mange to get afew farms that said yes but come back after the crops had been harvested.also got a permission last weekend managed to get on this 4 times went back today and all the land was seed.spoke to the farmer and he said come back after harvest.think the best thing to do at the moment is get on your bike and have a cycle around where you live and if you see any tractors working the fields then go up and ask.the other thing i did was phone.i think i got lucky because it was a wednesday and it was market day so managed to speak to the farmers wifes which i found easier to break the ice as then the wifes would pass the message on to there husband.did manage to get a couple of permissions that way.when you get your 1st permission as one of the members pointed out mention it to the farmer as that shows that you can be trusted to go on the farms.when you do get a permission after about 4 outings take him a bottle of wine or something just to say thanks.

jimbo1878

Post by jimbo1878 »

Same story yesterday!! No joy!....Apart from my girlfriend getting stuck in some mud hahahaha I'm going to get out to burscough and ormskirk next weekend and try there.

I have been trying different types of land like pig farms, horse training schools and sanctuary's and fisheries so I'm not just limiting myself to farms only. I'm sure I'll get there eventually it's just so frustrating with all the knock backs.

Jamespetts

Post by Jamespetts »

Keep trying, I've posted 200+ letters over the years, they do work.

Look in the yellow pages online and do a standard letter, post and wait.

I've got nearly all my farms this way.

Good luck

Marksoxon

Post by Marksoxon »

Jimbo, I only started detcting in October 2011. I tried to join clubs but had zero replies so I did what you did and started chasing land. First thing I did though was
JOIN A LOCAL HISTORY GROUP.
Then when you go and ask you can state that you are doing so as a legitimate member of a local group. At least I hope you would be anyway.
It worked a treat for me, every month I show the group my findings and we have a great chat about where they were found.
What you got to lose?

Mark
Deus user since Oct 2011

Marksoxon

Post by Marksoxon »

Its easier said than done to join a club Glenfiddich. I tried to join 3 local to me in 2011 and did not even get a reply then I finally got an invite just last week from the furthest one. That would not have done this chap any good though as one of the prerequisites was that you had a permission to share. Jimbo would still have been stuffed.
Deus user since Oct 2011

jimbo1878

Post by jimbo1878 »

My problem is transport. The nearest club is Runcorn and I am in Sefton....it would be a total pain to get to the meets etc... If there were a nearer club I'd deffo have a go at joing but sadly there isn't.

belleaqua

Post by belleaqua »

I'm new to detecting.. so just a beginner, so had to read up..I understand that you have to obtain permission to detect from landowner in first place and must abide by Treasure Act & code..not leave unsightly holes..no digging up on/around scheduled ancient monument areas..etc etc

That in mind.. I set about with permission cornerstone in mind..finding out who owns what..requested permission to detect to various sources..Rochford Council's legal section sent me a reply back which amounts to a blanket ban..thought it would be nice if permitted.. but informed by trainee solicitor from their legal section..metal detecting on land owned by Rochford Council..is strictly prohibited..and furthermore particular land requested is protected..so exploration of wild woods is out.. fine in itself..permission not granted..I had after all requested for Hockley Woods without realising it was SSSI.. should have researched if it was SSSi in first place ..so my own fault.. should have looked into that one..but why a blanket ban for All areas owned by Rochford Council?

Is this common..Has anyone compiled a list of councils operating a 'blanket ban policy' across the UK?

It seems unless other sources come through..im stuck at the beach..

Return to “Permissions Forum”